[hackerspaces] member management software

[hackerspaces] member management software

sheila miguez
What do people use for member management? I'm looking for open source projects.

Requirements and nice to haves off the top of my head

* Open source license
* Easy to contribute too
* Community/dev culture that scores well on being able to run sprints according to OpenHatch's event handbook, <http://opensource-events.com/>
* Written in a language that our active technical members use (python, go)
* Easily adaptable to our space member logic (membership tier, equipment permissions, &c.)
* Service API that provides enough member data so that we can use it with our RFID stuff
* SSO
* Approachable deployment

I've done some googling and found a few. One that jumped out at me is Tendenci, <https://www.tendenci.com/>.
* It has a service API, yay. It uses django tastypie which is a little meh compared to django rest framework because the latter has more active development and support from the community. On the other hand, I use tastypie at work and have experience with it.
* Their repo, <https://github.com/tendenci/tendenci>, and it has a lot of recent activity.
* I haven't looked for evidence for contributor friendliness yet. Looking at the graph on github shows mainly the employees of the company. There are advantages/disadvantages for that. Risks: It might become abandonware. It might not be easy to contribute to. Benefits: Active development, option for hosting, &c.
* I haven't tested the ease of deployment.
* The code base is a bit large, which may be a code smell.
* It looks like they've architected the project so that it is pluginable. This might mean it is easy to adopt to our rules. I haven't dived in to verify this.

Re: [hackerspaces] member management software

Joshua Pritt
We use Seltzer at Melbourne Makerspace.

And we made our own RFID door lock that automatically denies access to those who haven't paid their dues in 3 months.

Two other hackerspaces have already duplicated or in the process of duplicating our RFID door lock.
and another one has emailed me with questions.

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 10:31 AM, sheila miguez <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Danilo Bargen
We use a custom Django app: https://github.com/coredump-ch/interna/ The member models can be found here: https://github.com/coredump-ch/interna/blob/master/interna/memberdb/models.py We then use Django Admin to change the data. And there's a view in the frontend that filters out the currently active and former members. (Sorry for the very sparse and often German documentation... It wasn't meant as a project that can be used by the general public.)

Both the model and the entire app aren't really ideal though. I'd be interested in a Django REST Framework based solution. It would need to be quite flexible though, to accomodate different membership models, different ways of invoicing, etc.

Cheers
Danilo

Re: [hackerspaces] member management software

hadez
After trying several things and none of them doing what we wanted a small group started working on our own solution (based on django).
You can find it here: https://github.com/shackspace/shackbureau
It's still under development but has been in production use at shackspace for a few months with great success.
--
hadez

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 4:37 PM Danilo <[hidden email]> wrote:
We use a custom Django app: https://github.com/coredump-ch/interna/ The member models can be found here: https://github.com/coredump-ch/interna/blob/master/interna/memberdb/models.py We then use Django Admin to change the data. And there's a view in the frontend that filters out the currently active and former members. (Sorry for the very sparse and often German documentation... It wasn't meant as a project that can be used by the general public.)

Both the model and the entire app aren't really ideal though. I'd be interested in a Django REST Framework based solution. It would need to be quite flexible though, to accomodate different membership models, different ways of invoicing, etc.

Cheers
Danilo

Re: [hackerspaces] member management software

Chad Elish
I would check with Bob Bradley at Sector67. He developing some very cool plugins for woo commerce. Including but not limited to hackerspace accounts, door access, automated laser cutter deduction (from account). We at HackPGH are going to be helping him out by doing some development and beta testing.

Cheers!
-Chad
President | HackPGH
Pittsburgh’s First Hackerspace

On Jan 7, 2016, at 12:20 AM, bownes <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Edward L Platt-3
Hi All,

I'm the lead dev for Seltzer, so I thought I'd chime in and give the current status of the project. TL;DR: it might be useful for you, but it's currently maintenance-only.

The latest release is usable, but not very polished. It's easy to build your own modules to extend it (very similar to drupal's module system). A lot of spaces have built extensions and some of them are in the dev branch.

The code is in PHP, which makes security more challenging and also makes it harder to find developers. While small incremental improvements in PHP make sense, I'm convinced that merging with an existing project, or rewriting in a more modern language is the future of Seltzer. Whenever that happens, I'll make sure there's an upgrade path from the latest release.

For the time-being, I'm in a phd program and don't have the time to facilitate a healthy open source community around the project. If anyone from another project is interested in merging, or if any experienced php/drupal devs or open source community managers are interested in helping coordinate improvements to seltzer, let me know!

Happy hacking,
Ed

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 11:23 AM, Chad Elish <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

PhD student, University of Michigan School of Information
KC1DYK

Tips for stopping email overload: https://hbr.org/2012/02/stop-email-overload-1

This digital electronic mail message was sent from my general-purpose desktop personal computing machine.  Please forgive any overly-verbose, long-winded, rambling prose.

Re: [hackerspaces] member management software

Chad Elish
Delays as in 1 min per day?

Haha… that would be funny.

Cheers!