[hackerspaces] littlebits

\0xDynamite
Anyone tried or evaluated these kits?

http://littlebits.cc/

\m

Re: [hackerspaces] littlebits

Mars brown
I've used the korg audio ones for teaching basics of sound synthesis... bought a bunch of other components cheap when radio shack had them and was closing stores.

For me they are a little expensive for what you get... as I like to build stuff from scratch.  But they are easy to use and quick to slap ideas together for basic stuff... but I wouldn't have bought them if it wasn't just great for teaching.

I guess I would say it depends on your experience level w homebrewing circuits or how much money you wanna spend.
the same parts to do the same things would cost much much less... but the time saved in throwing little circuits together might be worth it to you.

I think they are great... just wish there were more customizable options (blank boards of different types/sockets) for stuff that fits their system and maybe priced a little better.

hope that helps some :).

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 2:10 PM, Xer0Dynamite <[hidden email]> wrote:
Anyone tried or evaluated these kits?

http://littlebits.cc/

\m

Re: [hackerspaces] littlebits

Bob Bownes

We have a ton of them in our kids makerspace. They seem to be really popular

> On Apr 27, 2016, at 15:10, Xer0Dynamite <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Anyone tried or evaluated these kits?
>
> http://littlebits.cc/
>
> \m

Re: [hackerspaces] littlebits

Joshua Pritt
We keep the standard and expansion pack at the Melbourne Makerspace for the younglings.
Then one of our members created the "pencil box projects" for the older kids/adults.  Each pencil box holds an arduino and a servo, or a raspberry pi and an LCD screen, etc. so that there are 48 separate, self contained projects that anyone can walk in off the street and follow the instructions he painstakingly wrote up on his website to learn more about these things for free.

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 3:26 PM, Chris Weiss <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Interesting.  Sounds like most are using it for kids.  What age group
are you guys talking about?  k-6, 7-12, some other range?

\m

On 4/27/16, Joshua Pritt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We keep the standard and expansion pack at the Melbourne Makerspace for the
> younglings.
> Then one of our members created the "pencil box projects" for the older
> kids/adults.  Each pencil box holds an arduino and a servo, or a raspberry
> pi and an LCD screen, etc. so that there are 48 separate, self contained
> projects that anyone can walk in off the street and follow the instructions
> he painstakingly wrote up on his website to learn more about these things
> for free.
> https://48projectsblog.wordpress.com/2015/12/22/easy-intermediate-advanced-project-list/
>
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 3:26 PM, Chris Weiss <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> we have some at archreactor, they are great for kids, but they are kind
>> of
>> expensive and some of the parts are easy to break.
>>

>> On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 2:22 PM Mars Brown <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I've used the korg audio ones for teaching basics of sound synthesis...
>>> bought a bunch of other components cheap when radio shack had them and
>>> was
>>> closing stores.
>>>
>>> For me they are a little expensive for what you get... as I like to
>>> build
>>> stuff from scratch.  But they are easy to use and quick to slap ideas
>>> together for basic stuff... but I wouldn't have bought them if it wasn't
>>> just great for teaching.
>>>
>>> I guess I would say it depends on your experience level w homebrewing
>>> circuits or how much money you wanna spend.
>>> the same parts to do the same things would cost much much less... but
>>> the
>>> time saved in throwing little circuits together might be worth it to
>>> you.
>>>
>>> I think they are great... just wish there were more customizable options
>>> (blank boards of different types/sockets) for stuff that fits their
>>> system
>>> and maybe priced a little better.
>>>

>>> hope that helps some :).
>>>
>>> On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 2:10 PM, Xer0Dynamite
>>> <[hidden email]>

Re: [hackerspaces] littlebits

Chris Weiss
when we bring out at the science center it's middle school and younger that get into them.  older kids pay more attention to the robots and 3d printers

Re: [hackerspaces] littlebits

Shirley Hicks
that’s a a really good project list. What where your costs to set all of them up? Curious - ’tis the season for grant-writing.
— Shirley Hicks
Red Mountain Makers.