[hackerspaces] Wiki cleanup: what to do with unrelated pages?

123

[hackerspaces] Wiki cleanup: what to do with unrelated pages?

K. Bronsen
In our irc channel [0] we noticed today there is a huge load of pages
[1] that I consider to be unrelated to "hackerspaces".

Because the pages in question are not about hackerspaces --even in the
widest sense--, I want to get rid of them.

However, before I delete all those unrelated pages I want to ask if you
people have a better idea: What say you?

(I know this is "Relevanzkriterien" all over again; hackerspaces wiki,
however, is not a general encyclopaedia so I maintain that a more narrow
focus is acceptable)

No action has been taken by me yet.

[0] #hackerspaces on chat.freenode.net
[1] https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/Category:D%26D

Re: [hackerspaces] Wiki cleanup: what to do with unrelated pages?

Nils Hitze
Delete them, it's a Wiki - if it's important enough that someone cares, we'll see in the edits

Nils Hitze

Email: [hidden email]
Mobil: +49 179 9429701

Blog: silberkind.de

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 4:30 PM, Lasse Pommerenke <[hidden email]> wrote:
In our irc channel [0] we noticed today there is a huge load of pages
[1] that I consider to be unrelated to "hackerspaces".

Because the pages in question are not about hackerspaces --even in the
widest sense--, I want to get rid of them.

However, before I delete all those unrelated pages I want to ask if you
people have a better idea: What say you?

(I know this is "Relevanzkriterien" all over again; hackerspaces wiki,
however, is not a general encyclopaedia so I maintain that a more narrow
focus is acceptable)

No action has been taken by me yet.

[0] #hackerspaces on chat.freenode.net
[1] https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/Category:D%26D

Re: [hackerspaces] Wiki cleanup: what to do with unrelated pages?

Joshua Pritt
Can you link a few examples here of the ones getting deleted?

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 10:33 AM, Nils Hitze <[hidden email]> wrote:
Delete them, it's a Wiki - if it's important enough that someone cares, we'll see in the edits

Nils Hitze

Email: [hidden email]
Mobil: <a href="tel:+49%20179%209429701" value="+491799429701" target="_blank">+49 179 9429701

Blog: silberkind.de

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 4:30 PM, Lasse Pommerenke <[hidden email]> wrote:
In our irc channel [0] we noticed today there is a huge load of pages
[1] that I consider to be unrelated to "hackerspaces".

Because the pages in question are not about hackerspaces --even in the
widest sense--, I want to get rid of them.

However, before I delete all those unrelated pages I want to ask if you
people have a better idea: What say you?

(I know this is "Relevanzkriterien" all over again; hackerspaces wiki,
however, is not a general encyclopaedia so I maintain that a more narrow
focus is acceptable)

No action has been taken by me yet.

[0] #hackerspaces on chat.freenode.net
[1] https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/Category:D%26D

Re: [hackerspaces] Wiki cleanup: what to do with unrelated pages?

\0xDynamite
I can comment.  I put them there.

My hackerspace had "game nights" -- that's one relation to
hackerspaces (sf_x), in the "narrow sense".

Secondly, one of the most under-served classes in the G8/20 economy are
the intellectual/creative classes.  D&D attracts both -- before
they're corrupted to program in Javascript (HAHA).  So, this gives
those in high-school or thereabouts a reason to come to the space --
even if they don't know how to program or build hardware projects
(yet).

The content is new material that isn't accepted yet at the D&D wiki
because it is unofficial and I don't have the time to format the
content fo their idea of what thier wiki should be.

While you're at it, you might check out "Snide Guide to How to Be a
Human".   Also, apparently not related to hackerspaces.

Cheers!

Re: [hackerspaces] Wiki cleanup: what to do with unrelated pages?

Chris Weiss
I would say content like this, and the rest mentioned, is absolutely relevant on your own hackerpsace's wiki.  the question is, is it relevant to the .org?

IMO a page saying what D&D is, and tips on how to get campaigns started in a space, and a link off site to something specific is totally relevant, same with what a table saw is, or what Kali is. table saw manuals are not.  Kali recipes are not.  your individual space's campaign data is not. I have no idea if that's what this actually is, and I don't see it how it relates to how to start up a space or keep the lights on at any given space in the world.  IMO that what the .org is about.

On 7/6/17, Matt Joyce <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Black jesus is cool with your D&D wiki pages.

Sweet, bless you.

\0xd

Re: [hackerspaces] Wiki cleanup: what to do with unrelated pages?

Matt Joyce
Imma pass, but don't let me stop you.

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 2:07 PM, \0xDynamite <[hidden email]> wrote:
> NYC Resistor actually has put a lot of effort into ensuring we have gender
> parity.  Honestly, the ladies of resistor tend to kick everyone elses
> asses.

That's all well and good, but the truth is, if you're a man, you've
got advantage and should be doing some kind of activism rather than
playing around with radio shack parts.  There's some wiki pages about
it.

\0xd

Re: [hackerspaces] Wiki cleanup: what to do with unrelated pages?

\0xDynamite
You can read up more over on the [[Category:Fighting]] pages at
hackerspaces, also, presumeably, not about hacking.

\0xd

On 7/6/17, \0xDynamite <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 7/6/17, Matt Joyce <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Black jesus is cool with your D&D wiki pages.
>
> Sweet, bless you.
>
> \0xd

Re: [hackerspaces] Wiki cleanup: what to do with unrelated pages?

Jurgen Gaeremyn

I read a few really interesting comments on the merits of having a broad
wiki for the hackerspaces, as it expresses the variety of what can all
happen in a hackerspace.

As for the wiki at hackerspaces.org ... I would say that it's mainly a
matter of cost (financially and time-wise): the persons investing in the
wiki should decide if it costs them too much (time and/or money).

So if you're at the point that you need to upgrade your server or
bandwith to allow the wiki to continue, one could ask the question if we
shouldn't better invest the time and money in other priorities. If time
and money are no issues, I can't imagine a reason why to cut away
certain branches of the wiki-tree... But then again, I'm not a
wiki-gardener. I just enjoy plucking a juicy piece of fruit every now
and then.

Grtz,
Jurgen

On 06-07-17 16:30, Lasse Pommerenke wrote:

> In our irc channel [0] we noticed today there is a huge load of pages
> [1] that I consider to be unrelated to "hackerspaces".
>
> Because the pages in question are not about hackerspaces --even in the
> widest sense--, I want to get rid of them.
>
> However, before I delete all those unrelated pages I want to ask if you
> people have a better idea: What say you?
>

> (I know this is "Relevanzkriterien" all over again; hackerspaces wiki,
> however, is not a general encyclopaedia so I maintain that a more narrow
> focus is acceptable)
>
> No action has been taken by me yet.
>
> [0] #hackerspaces on chat.freenode.net
> [1] https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/Category:D%26D

Re: [hackerspaces] Wiki cleanup: what to do with unrelated pages?

Matt Joyce
Well I used to be a hacker like you, but then I took a soldering Iron to the knee....

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 5:13 PM, Chris Weiss <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 1:23 PM \0xDynamite <[hidden email]> wrote:
You can read up more over on the [[Category:Fighting]] pages at
hackerspaces, also, presumeably, not about hacking.

I looked a couple, and while some are ranty the few i looked at all made some kind of solid connection to the socio-political challenges that often occur in running a hackerspace, including tips about dealing with someone you may not initially understand.

but please, do tell how the history of the Dragonborn helps me understand a tactic that can be used in conflicts that arise from Space administration.  Oh, and their Colors.  that seems all important.

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 3:39 PM Jurgen Gaeremyn <[hidden email]> wrote:
I can't imagine a reason why to cut away
certain branches of the wiki-tree...

easy: feature creep.

for instance, checking https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/Special:RecentChanges one might expect to see updates to Space info, maybe some updates to the Design Patterns, possibly a new event or challenge.  but no.  you see D&D.  it's all D&D for pages.

and it's not even a global hackerspaces.org D&D group.  it's one space using up someone else's resources.

Re: [hackerspaces] Wiki cleanup: what to do with unrelated pages?

\0xDynamite
> but please, do tell how the history of the Dragonborn helps me understand a
> tactic that can be used in conflicts that arise from Space administration.
> Oh, and their Colors.  that seems all important.

For that, you will have to undergo the challenge of the kolinahr.

\0xd

Re: [hackerspaces] Wiki cleanup: what to do with unrelated pages?

idnc_sk
Sounds more like a censorship attempt, or an attempt to make sure .org
stays as castrated, toothless, incapable of catalyzing real change as
all the prominent "special-interest-people-from-NGOs"-run hackerspaces
"managing" the hacker community. Who will decide whats relevant and what
not, nobody should, make your on-site indexes and search filters better
but don't remove content(at all/from index etc). If you need free
computing resources I can give you storage/bandwidth for free - if
somehow you'd try to turn it into a "financial burden" cloak.

idnc_sk

On 07/07/2017 06:17 AM, Cecilia Tanaka wrote:
> This one was only about the destiny of 'Wiki unrelated pages'

Re: [hackerspaces] Wiki cleanup: what to do with unrelated pages?

Cecilia Tanaka
On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 4:17 AM, idnc_sk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sounds more like a censorship attempt, or an attempt to make sure .org stays
> as castrated, toothless, incapable of catalyzing real change as all the
> prominent "special-interest-people-from-NGOs"-run hackerspaces "managing"
> the hacker community. Who will decide whats relevant and what not, nobody
> should, make your on-site indexes and search filters better but don't remove
> content(at all/from index etc). If you need free computing resources I can
> give you storage/bandwidth for free - if somehow you'd try to turn it into a
> "financial burden" cloak.

Is simply asking for opening _another thread_ about _another subject_
a kind of "censorship"?  Even when both the threads would be exactly
on the same list?  Woww...  Cultural differences are always
fascinating!  :D

I thank you sincerely for "your free computing resources", but
"financial burden" was never my point.  You should re-read my message
v-e-r-y, VERY, veeeryyy s-l-o-w-e-r, with calm and much more
attention.  Already know well some of Mark's theories and it's always
interesting to see how some people want to teach other people how to
make revolutions and be more human and, at the same time, strongly
reject transsexualism and other concepts deeply related with
respecting to human rights.

Please, *do not censor me* you too.  I have the right to ask him to
expose his ideas in another thread to keep the HGDL a bit more
organized.  If he wants to create another thread or not, it's his
problem, not mine or yours.

-------
"Don't let anyone rob you of your imagination, your creativity, or
your curiosity.  It's your place in the world; it's your life.  Go on
and do all you can with it, and make it the life you want to live."  -
 Mae Jemison

Re: [hackerspaces] Wiki cleanup: what to do with unrelated pages?

idnc_sk

No, of course it could be [asking for opening _another thread_ about _another subject_]
but I reacted to "Wiki cleanup: what to do with unrelated pages"

interesting you took it personally.. wonder why ..

"Already know well some of Mark's theories" - I don't, yet so can't really argue

Of course, not everything is black and white..
My colleague starts shooting people in their legs - all of them, every single human
he encounters because he always wanted to be an athlete, if all the others had a bullet
in their leg he could be a champion. There are many tricks he learned how to get that
bullet in someones leg. People are naive right? To make the transformation easier,
my other colleague runs huge campaigns proclaiming its OK to have
a bullet in your leg,
(some)people throughout the ages had one, learn to live with it,
embrace your bullet,
a bullet for everyone! My other colleague starts a campaign aimed at the intellectuals
- ok we know that a bullet is un-humane thing but look at these carefully vetted studies.
we have to do that to "save the world"(tm) from all the agressively-fast running people
..... fun fun and moooore fun

On 07/07/2017 10:03 AM, Cecilia Tanaka wrote:
[...]

overflo
hi

> for instance, checking https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/Special:RecentChanges
> ...  it's all D&D for pages.

this is true, check it out.

while i do not see why it should be hosted on hackerspaces.org i am
strongly opposed to telling other people what hackerspaces are about and
what not.

if the person who created those pages think they belong on
hackerspaces.org he probably tought about this before spending hours of
work creating them.

but i also understand that they are not hackerspaces.org relevant in a
narrow sense and that there are more eD&D related wikis out there that
the author does not use because they demand some kind of formating he
does not comply with. ok.

so what do you think about this solution:

make a /DungeonsAndDrangons/ resource
move all the pages there.

for example /Religion  would be /DungeonsAndDrangons/Religion

on  /DungeonsAndDragons should be some explaination why D&D is
hackerspaces related (it was explained in this thread before) and maybe
a list of hackerspaces that acitvely play D&D..

:*
-flo

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 5:21 AM, idnc_sk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> interesting you took it personally.. wonder why ..

Obviously, because you attacked me personally.  You answered making
references to MY message, using phrases like "Sounds more like a
censorship attempt, or an attempt to make sure .org stays as
castrated, toothless, incapable of catalyzing real change as all the
prominent "special-interest-people-from-NGOs"-run hackerspaces
"managing" the hacker community." and "If you need free computing
resources I can give you storage/bandwidth for free - if somehow you'd
try to turn it into a "financial burden" cloak."

I was not trying to censor anything, talking about "computing
resources" or "trying to turn it into a "financial burden" cloak".
You were pretty offensive and your message had a personal character,
was not a general message.
123