[hackerspaces] Webcam Matrix

12

[hackerspaces] Webcam Matrix

Joshua Pritt
https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/Webcams

If you have a live camera stream from your 'space, please add it to the list on this wiki page.
I want to bring back the Webcam Matrix and more!  I just added the one for the Melbourne Makerspace.
I want to also see if there is a video chat enabled computer there at your space as well so I can start up my idea for the 'SpacePhone.  A quick and simple way to click on a hacker/makerspace's logo on a similar matrix layout web page and start up a video call.  Let's collaborate on this as one, big, group project!

Re: [hackerspaces] Webcam Matrix

Danilo Bargen
Hi Joshua

If you have a live camera stream from your 'space, please add it to the list on this wiki page.
I want to bring back the Webcam Matrix and more!  I just added the one for the Melbourne Makerspace.
I want to also see if there is a video chat enabled computer there at your space as well so I can start up my idea for the 'SpacePhone.  A quick and simple way to click on a hacker/makerspace's logo on a similar matrix layout web page and start up a video call.  Let's collaborate on this as one, big, group project!

It might be better to publish / query the "cam" attribute of the SpaceAPI instead of manually keeping a Wiki up to date: https://spacedirectory.org/pages/docs.html

Cheers
Danilo

Re: [hackerspaces] Webcam Matrix

Joshua Pritt
That also came to mind. Does everyone know how to update their Space API?
Is that project still being monitored for help and setting up new 'spaces?

On Mar 31, 2017 12:19 PM, "Danilo" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Joshua

If you have a live camera stream from your 'space, please add it to the list on this wiki page.
I want to bring back the Webcam Matrix and more!  I just added the one for the Melbourne Makerspace.
I want to also see if there is a video chat enabled computer there at your space as well so I can start up my idea for the 'SpacePhone.  A quick and simple way to click on a hacker/makerspace's logo on a similar matrix layout web page and start up a video call.  Let's collaborate on this as one, big, group project!

It might be better to publish / query the "cam" attribute of the SpaceAPI instead of manually keeping a Wiki up to date: https://spacedirectory.org/pages/docs.html

Cheers
Danilo

Re: [hackerspaces] Webcam Matrix

Ijon
I really have a hard time to understand this.

In some spaces photos, cameras, video is forbidden, a lot of hackers
(not enough) cover up the cameras on theire personal devices, everybody
is always super sensitive when it comes to photos or videos of them...

and here we are, somebody is asking to create a centralized repository
of webcams in hackerspaces?

i dont get it! Can somebody explain how this is possible? this seems to
be going in the opposite direction of what we aim for, helping people to
preserve privacy, helping people to encrypt, helping people to stay
anonymous.

On 31.03.2017 18:05, Joshua Pritt wrote:

> https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/Webcams
>
> If you have a live camera stream from your 'space, please add it to the
> list on this wiki page.
> I want to bring back the Webcam Matrix and more!  I just added the one
> for the Melbourne Makerspace.
> I want to also see if there is a video chat enabled computer there at
> your space as well so I can start up my idea for the 'SpacePhone.  A
> quick and simple way to click on a hacker/makerspace's logo on a similar
> matrix layout web page and start up a video call.  Let's collaborate on
> this as one, big, group project!

Re: [hackerspaces] Webcam Matrix

dosman
Bat-caves need not apply.

-dosman

> On Mar 31, 2017, at 12:39 PM, Ijon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I really have a hard time to understand this.
>
> In some spaces photos, cameras, video is forbidden, a lot of hackers
> (not enough) cover up the cameras on theire personal devices, everybody
> is always super sensitive when it comes to photos or videos of them...
>
> and here we are, somebody is asking to create a centralized repository
> of webcams in hackerspaces?
>
> i dont get it! Can somebody explain how this is possible? this seems to
> be going in the opposite direction of what we aim for, helping people to
> preserve privacy, helping people to encrypt, helping people to stay
> anonymous.
>

> On 31.03.2017 18:05, Joshua Pritt wrote:
>> https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/Webcams
>>
>> If you have a live camera stream from your 'space, please add it to the
>> list on this wiki page.
>> I want to bring back the Webcam Matrix and more!  I just added the one
>> for the Melbourne Makerspace.
>> I want to also see if there is a video chat enabled computer there at
>> your space as well so I can start up my idea for the 'SpacePhone.  A
>> quick and simple way to click on a hacker/makerspace's logo on a similar
>> matrix layout web page and start up a video call.  Let's collaborate on
>> this as one, big, group project!

Re: [hackerspaces] Webcam Matrix

Daniel F
I've been informed that having publicly accessible cameras in the space might be a data protection issue. I don't suppose anyone has any advice?

On 31 Mar 2017 17:42, "dosman" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Bat-caves need not apply.

-dosman

> On Mar 31, 2017, at 12:39 PM, Ijon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I really have a hard time to understand this.
>
> In some spaces photos, cameras, video is forbidden, a lot of hackers
> (not enough) cover up the cameras on theire personal devices, everybody
> is always super sensitive when it comes to photos or videos of them...
>
> and here we are, somebody is asking to create a centralized repository
> of webcams in hackerspaces?
>
> i dont get it! Can somebody explain how this is possible? this seems to
> be going in the opposite direction of what we aim for, helping people to
> preserve privacy, helping people to encrypt, helping people to stay
> anonymous.
>

> On <a href="tel:31.03.2017%2018" value="+13103201718">31.03.2017 18:05, Joshua Pritt wrote:
>> https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/Webcams
>>
>> If you have a live camera stream from your 'space, please add it to the
>> list on this wiki page.
>> I want to bring back the Webcam Matrix and more!  I just added the one
>> for the Melbourne Makerspace.
>> I want to also see if there is a video chat enabled computer there at
>> your space as well so I can start up my idea for the 'SpacePhone.  A
>> quick and simple way to click on a hacker/makerspace's logo on a similar
>> matrix layout web page and start up a video call.  Let's collaborate on
>> this as one, big, group project!

Re: [hackerspaces] Webcam Matrix / Space API

Danilo Bargen
Am Fr, 31. Mär 2017, um 18:34, schrieb Joshua Pritt:
That also came to mind. Does everyone know how to update their Space API?
Is that project still being monitored for help and setting up new 'spaces?

The project is/was quite inactive, that's why we "soft-forked" it this year: https://spacedirectory.org/ I hope we can revive the project a bit :)

I'm not sure whether the hosted version (at http://spaceapi.net/new/) actually still works, but it's very simple to just upload a static JSON file to a web server. I prefer it to the wiki approach though because it's much more structured. Ideas / improvements can be reported here: https://github.com/spacedirectory/meta/issues

For the more adventurous, there's also a SpaceAPI endpoint library written in Rust: https://github.com/coredump-ch/spaceapi-server-rs

Danilo

Re: [hackerspaces] Webcam Matrix

Christopher Agocs
Whether or not your hackerspace has a webcam is an issue that can be decided on a hackerspace-by-hackerspace basis. Participate if you want.

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 11:50 AM, Daniel F <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been informed that having publicly accessible cameras in the space might be a data protection issue. I don't suppose anyone has any advice?

On 31 Mar 2017 17:42, "dosman" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Bat-caves need not apply.

-dosman

> On Mar 31, 2017, at 12:39 PM, Ijon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I really have a hard time to understand this.
>
> In some spaces photos, cameras, video is forbidden, a lot of hackers
> (not enough) cover up the cameras on theire personal devices, everybody
> is always super sensitive when it comes to photos or videos of them...
>
> and here we are, somebody is asking to create a centralized repository
> of webcams in hackerspaces?
>
> i dont get it! Can somebody explain how this is possible? this seems to
> be going in the opposite direction of what we aim for, helping people to
> preserve privacy, helping people to encrypt, helping people to stay
> anonymous.
>

> On <a href="tel:31.03.2017%2018" value="+13103201718" target="_blank">31.03.2017 18:05, Joshua Pritt wrote:
>> https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/Webcams
>>
>> If you have a live camera stream from your 'space, please add it to the
>> list on this wiki page.
>> I want to bring back the Webcam Matrix and more!  I just added the one
>> for the Melbourne Makerspace.
>> I want to also see if there is a video chat enabled computer there at
>> your space as well so I can start up my idea for the 'SpacePhone.  A
>> quick and simple way to click on a hacker/makerspace's logo on a similar
>> matrix layout web page and start up a video call.  Let's collaborate on
>> this as one, big, group project!

Re: [hackerspaces] Webcam Matrix / Space API

jomat
Hi there,

On 2017-03-31 16:55, Danilo wrote:
> I prefer it to the wiki approach though
> because it's much more structured. Ideas / improvements can be
> reported here: https://github.com/spacedirectory/meta/issues

Just wanted to mention there's a spaceapi property for hackerspaces
on our wiki which can also be queried, e. g. here:

https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/User:Jomat

With some lines of code it should be possible to create a json format
that is compatible with the spaceapi directory listing, any volunteers?
;-)

cu,
jomat

Re: [hackerspaces] Webcam Matrix

webmind
On 03/31/17 18:39, Ijon wrote:

> I really have a hard time to understand this.
>
> In some spaces photos, cameras, video is forbidden, a lot of hackers
> (not enough) cover up the cameras on theire personal devices, everybody
> is always super sensitive when it comes to photos or videos of them...
>
> and here we are, somebody is asking to create a centralized repository
> of webcams in hackerspaces?
>
> i dont get it! Can somebody explain how this is possible? this seems to
> be going in the opposite direction of what we aim for, helping people to
> preserve privacy, helping people to encrypt, helping people to stay
> anonymous.

The trick lies in the 'we' I believe, not everyone who self-identifies
as a hacker(space) seems to care much about privacy in their direct
environment or not on that level.

There are also spaces that have a camera feed but obfuscate the stream
or have a way of turning it off when/before entering.

Personally, I'm quite interested in ways of 'connecting' hackerspaces
without having to do video feeds, outside of the privacy issue, it seems
a rather boring/non-creative approach.

w.

0xFCF154AE.asc (7K) Download Attachment

Re: [hackerspaces] Webcam Matrix

Michel Gallant
I propose a network of teletypes.

On Mar 31, 2017 2:17 PM, "webmind" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 03/31/17 18:39, Ijon wrote:
> I really have a hard time to understand this.
>
> In some spaces photos, cameras, video is forbidden, a lot of hackers
> (not enough) cover up the cameras on theire personal devices, everybody
> is always super sensitive when it comes to photos or videos of them...
>
> and here we are, somebody is asking to create a centralized repository
> of webcams in hackerspaces?
>
> i dont get it! Can somebody explain how this is possible? this seems to
> be going in the opposite direction of what we aim for, helping people to
> preserve privacy, helping people to encrypt, helping people to stay
> anonymous.

The trick lies in the 'we' I believe, not everyone who self-identifies
as a hacker(space) seems to care much about privacy in their direct
environment or not on that level.

There are also spaces that have a camera feed but obfuscate the stream
or have a way of turning it off when/before entering.

Personally, I'm quite interested in ways of 'connecting' hackerspaces
without having to do video feeds, outside of the privacy issue, it seems
a rather boring/non-creative approach.

w.

Re: [hackerspaces] Webcam Matrix

The Doctor
It might be entertaining for some hackerspaces to put up rotating image collections instead of feeds from hackerspaces.  One of those amazingly complex animated .gifs of stick figures in a factory, perhaps.

---
The Doctor [412/724/301/703/415]
https://drwho.virtadpt.net
"I am everywhere."

No PGP signature, so this may not be me.  Is it?

On 03/31/17 18:39, Ijon wrote:
> I really have a hard time to understand this.
>
> In some spaces photos, cameras, video is forbidden, a lot of hackers
> (not enough) cover up the cameras on theire personal devices, everybody
> is always super sensitive when it comes to photos or videos of them...
>
> and here we are, somebody is asking to create a centralized repository
> of webcams in hackerspaces?
>
> i dont get it! Can somebody explain how this is possible? this seems to
> be going in the opposite direction of what we aim for, helping people to
> preserve privacy, helping people to encrypt, helping people to stay
> anonymous.

The trick lies in the 'we' I believe, not everyone who self-identifies
as a hacker(space) seems to care much about privacy in their direct
environment or not on that level.

There are also spaces that have a camera feed but obfuscate the stream
or have a way of turning it off when/before entering.

Personally, I'm quite interested in ways of 'connecting' hackerspaces
without having to do video feeds, outside of the privacy issue, it seems
a rather boring/non-creative approach.

w.

Re: [hackerspaces] Webcam Matrix

Jurgen Gaeremyn
Well... first off... you could for example point your webcam towards the
worktable, or towards the oscilloscope, ...

Nobody says a hackerspace webcam should be showing the face-regions of
the space.

Second thing that comes to mind... I can imagine having webcam feeds
that have undergone an artistic twist (kaleidoscope webcam)...

Just 2 ideas...

On 31-03-17 18:39, Ijon wrote:

> I really have a hard time to understand this.
>
> In some spaces photos, cameras, video is forbidden, a lot of hackers
> (not enough) cover up the cameras on theire personal devices, everybody
> is always super sensitive when it comes to photos or videos of them...
>
> and here we are, somebody is asking to create a centralized repository
> of webcams in hackerspaces?
>
> i dont get it! Can somebody explain how this is possible? this seems to
> be going in the opposite direction of what we aim for, helping people to
> preserve privacy, helping people to encrypt, helping people to stay
> anonymous.
>

> On 31.03.2017 18:05, Joshua Pritt wrote:
>> https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/Webcams
>>
>> If you have a live camera stream from your 'space, please add it to the
>> list on this wiki page.
>> I want to bring back the Webcam Matrix and more!  I just added the one
>> for the Melbourne Makerspace.
>> I want to also see if there is a video chat enabled computer there at
>> your space as well so I can start up my idea for the 'SpacePhone.  A
>> quick and simple way to click on a hacker/makerspace's logo on a similar
>> matrix layout web page and start up a video call.  Let's collaborate on
>> this as one, big, group project!

Re: [hackerspaces] Webcam Matrix

Pete Prodoehl

Here's the lowdown on what we do at Milwaukee Makerspace:

     https://wiki.milwaukeemakerspace.org/projects/mmswebcam

(Not a live video stream, just a constantly updated image.)

Pete

Am Fr, 31. Mär 2017, um 18:39, schrieb Ijon:

> I really have a hard time to understand this.
>
> In some spaces photos, cameras, video is forbidden, a lot of hackers
> (not enough) cover up the cameras on theire personal devices, everybody
> is always super sensitive when it comes to photos or videos of them...
>
> and here we are, somebody is asking to create a centralized repository
> of webcams in hackerspaces?
>
> i dont get it! Can somebody explain how this is possible? this seems to
> be going in the opposite direction of what we aim for, helping people to
> preserve privacy, helping people to encrypt, helping people to stay
> anonymous.

I'm also sceptical of spaces having a webcam pointing at their main room
or something like that.

But it's perfectly fine to have a webcam that shows the view from the
roof of the space, or - like we and many other hackerspaces do - show
the current printing status of their 3D printers, or similar.

Danilo

Re: [hackerspaces] Webcam Matrix

Ijon
I also want to add, that having a webcam that shows wether someone is in
the space or not (closed or open) is basically an invitation for a
burglar to come and break into the space to steal your tools and computers

On 31.03.2017 18:39, Ijon wrote:

> I really have a hard time to understand this.
>
> In some spaces photos, cameras, video is forbidden, a lot of hackers
> (not enough) cover up the cameras on theire personal devices, everybody
> is always super sensitive when it comes to photos or videos of them...
>
> and here we are, somebody is asking to create a centralized repository
> of webcams in hackerspaces?
>
> i dont get it! Can somebody explain how this is possible? this seems to
> be going in the opposite direction of what we aim for, helping people to
> preserve privacy, helping people to encrypt, helping people to stay
> anonymous.
>

> On 31.03.2017 18:05, Joshua Pritt wrote:
>> https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/Webcams
>>
>> If you have a live camera stream from your 'space, please add it to the
>> list on this wiki page.
>> I want to bring back the Webcam Matrix and more!  I just added the one
>> for the Melbourne Makerspace.
>> I want to also see if there is a video chat enabled computer there at
>> your space as well so I can start up my idea for the 'SpacePhone.  A
>> quick and simple way to click on a hacker/makerspace's logo on a similar
>> matrix layout web page and start up a video call.  Let's collaborate on
>> this as one, big, group project!

Re: [hackerspaces] Webcam Matrix

Bastiaan van den Berg
I'd rather see more use of (RIP) spaceapi and it's new revival (spacedirectory.org) :)

We can already see if someone is at c-base (for instance) at http://www.c-base.org/status.json No need for cameras for that...

--
buZz

Re: [hackerspaces] Webcam Matrix

Ijon
No, you can not see this.

Look at the statistics. http://spaceapi-stats.n39.eu/
Select "c-base" and you will find out that this value has been "closed"
since we are participating in this.

This is for the precise reason, that we do not want to invite burglars.

On 01.04.2017 13:20, Bastiaan van den Berg wrote:

> I'd rather see more use of (RIP) spaceapi and it's new revival
> (spacedirectory.org <http://spacedirectory.org>) :)
>
> We can already see if someone is at c-base (for instance)
> at http://www.c-base.org/status.json No need for cameras for that...
>
> --
> buZz
> http://space.nurdspace.nl/spaceapi/status.json

Re: [hackerspaces] Webcam Matrix

Bastiaan van den Berg
Ah, sad boycotting of a noble initiative :)