[hackerspaces] Trenton NJ

Mike  Dupont
Hi there,
I am now convinced that we need to create a makerspace for Trenton NJ,
is there anyone who might be interested in working on such a project?
Any tips on fundraising ? Are there any grant applications or
documents about starting a space you can share?
thanks,
mike

--
James Michael DuPont
Kansas Linux Fest http://kansaslinuxfest.us

Re: [hackerspaces] Trenton NJ

Joshua Pritt
I would say to start small.  You don't have to get thousands and thousands of dollars from grants and things - although that would be help a lot!  You just need to start a meetup.com group and meet at starbucks or other public places and see how many people show up that are interested in also starting up a space in your area.  If you get enough people that are willing to put up some money to rent a small space then you can get started from there.  Find a small place to rent where you can have some large tables for people to work on their projects, and places to put the 3D printer, and other tools.  Make one of your first group projects building a 3D printer like a RepRap or other low cost kits.
Melbourne Makerspace is in a tiny 1000 sq ft storage/receiving unit on the back side of a commercial building.  We still have room for 3 3D printers, electronics workbench, laser cutter, HAM radio bench, sewing machine area, CNC router (Shapeko2), woodshop, and a metal working area with a mill and lathe.  So you can start small then once you have enough members paying the dues you can use that money to rent a bigger space.

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 8:19 AM, Mike Dupont <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi there,
I am now convinced that we need to create a makerspace for Trenton NJ,
is there anyone who might be interested in working on such a project?
Any tips on fundraising ? Are there any grant applications or
documents about starting a space you can share?
thanks,
mike

--
James Michael DuPont
Kansas Linux Fest http://kansaslinuxfest.us
Free/Libre Open Source and Open Knowledge Association of Kansas
http://openkansas.us
Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://www.flossk.org
Saving Wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com

Re: [hackerspaces] Trenton NJ

Nick Pollara
There has been a big push in NJ to set-up makerspaces in libraries.  I believe there are state grants to do so as well.

Here is a link to NJLibraryLink:

The library makerspaces tend to be small and not very "industrial".

You can also try:

Each are busy in the State setting up makerspaces.

Regards,

Nick

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 8:19 AM, Mike Dupont <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi there,
I am now convinced that we need to create a makerspace for Trenton NJ,
is there anyone who might be interested in working on such a project?
Any tips on fundraising ? Are there any grant applications or
documents about starting a space you can share?
thanks,
mike

--
James Michael DuPont
Kansas Linux Fest http://kansaslinuxfest.us
Free/Libre Open Source and Open Knowledge Association of Kansas
http://openkansas.us
Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://www.flossk.org
Saving Wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com

Re: [hackerspaces] Trenton NJ

William Saturno
At CT Hackerspace in Watertown we had weekly meetings at different restaurants and we moved ahead with plans when we got to know the "regulars".

We then started by renting a room in in an artist community. We have grown into a 4,000 square foot facility in 6 years. Start by finding your passionate tribe and their resources will add to your own.

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 8:19 AM, Mike Dupont <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi there,
I am now convinced that we need to create a makerspace for Trenton NJ,
is there anyone who might be interested in working on such a project?
Any tips on fundraising ? Are there any grant applications or
documents about starting a space you can share?
thanks,
mike

--
James Michael DuPont
Kansas Linux Fest http://kansaslinuxfest.us
Free/Libre Open Source and Open Knowledge Association of Kansas
http://openkansas.us
Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://www.flossk.org
Saving Wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com

Re: [hackerspaces] Trenton NJ

Arclight
My experience is that getting one-time funding is not the problem you
need to solve. "Build it and they will come" doesn't really work with
hackerspaces.  What you need to do is "Get everyone to come and then
build it."  Without a core community, there would just be a big, empty
building that only sort-of serves the needs of those who show up.

Start small, post meeting invites everywhere, and get a community
started.  It's only when you have people to share the work and be
willing to provide recurring support to the space that you should seek
funding for one-time costs like moving.

Arclight

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 5:19 AM, Mike  Dupont
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
> I am now convinced that we need to create a makerspace for Trenton NJ,
> is there anyone who might be interested in working on such a project?
> Any tips on fundraising ? Are there any grant applications or
> documents about starting a space you can share?
> thanks,
> mike
>
> --
> James Michael DuPont
> Kansas Linux Fest http://kansaslinuxfest.us
> Free/Libre Open Source and Open Knowledge Association of Kansas
> http://openkansas.us
> Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://www.flossk.org
> Saving Wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com

Re: [hackerspaces] Trenton NJ

Clark, Simon

> On May 2, 2016, at 2:50 PM, Arclight <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> My experience is that getting one-time funding is not the problem you
> need to solve. "Build it and they will come" doesn't really work with
> hackerspaces.  What you need to do is "Get everyone to come and then
> build it."  Without a core community, there would just be a big, empty
> building that only sort-of serves the needs of those who show up.

This is somewhat contrary to our experience.  We tried waiting until we had enough members to keep the place afloat before signing a lease, but people would drift away as they lost interest, and we got not closer.  Finally we signed a lease with only 6 core members (we needed 26 to pay the bills). Now we have 118 active members, and a bigger space.  I agree, it’s madness to try and start out with only one person, but had we waited until we had critical mass, we’d still be waiting.

Simon

Re: [hackerspaces] Trenton NJ

Arclight
If you had 6 people willing to be on a lease and a community, even one
that churns over, you were already on the right path. I think my
caution is more about the "top down" approach where a "big thing" is
constructed with outside grants and nobody in the community hears
about it until it's complete.

Arclight

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 12:19 PM, Simon Clark <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On May 2, 2016, at 2:50 PM, Arclight <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> My experience is that getting one-time funding is not the problem you
>> need to solve. "Build it and they will come" doesn't really work with
>> hackerspaces.  What you need to do is "Get everyone to come and then
>> build it."  Without a core community, there would just be a big, empty
>> building that only sort-of serves the needs of those who show up.
>
> This is somewhat contrary to our experience.  We tried waiting until we had enough members to keep the place afloat before signing a lease, but people would drift away as they lost interest, and we got not closer.  Finally we signed a lease with only 6 core members (we needed 26 to pay the bills). Now we have 118 active members, and a bigger space.  I agree, it’s madness to try and start out with only one person, but had we waited until we had critical mass, we’d still be waiting.
>
> Simon

Re: [hackerspaces] Trenton NJ

Clark, Simon

> On May 2, 2016, at 3:27 PM, Arclight <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If you had 6 people willing to be on a lease and a community, even one
> that churns over, you were already on the right path. I think my
> caution is more about the "top down" approach where a "big thing" is
> constructed with outside grants and nobody in the community hears
> about it until it's complete.

Fair enough, agreed.  We were approached a couple of years ago by a city councillor from a nearby town who wanted to make a makerspace happen there.  My response was that, without a committed core group who had to sweat and fight to make it happen, it was probably doomed to failure.  I’m not sure I was completely right, but I suspect I was.   As the idea grows, I think we’ll see more of these externally bootstrapped makerspaces.  It’ll be interesting to see what makes them work.

Simon

Re: [hackerspaces] Trenton NJ

Crawford Comeaux

Arclight's advice is commonly given, but really important.

I thought my project was the exception to the rule and maybe it could've been if everything had been executed perfectly, but banking on perfection is a fools game. We had a perfect location, people and businesses with tons of equipment to donate, and lots of people chomping at the bit to join. I raised money to pay a team (myself & 3 others) to setup a non profit org, research needs, and make a plan. We put personalities before principles when choosing the board & they immediately started dictating what the team should be pursuing based on the board's vision. I started the whole project from my own vision of a space accessible to all, including the poor, but didn't communicate that to others well. There were constant clashes & little progress, leading to a cheap giant warehouse going unused for months, no equipment donations taken in, and nothing being made. We probably also poisoned the local community's good will toward such an effort for the future.

In hindsight, I think there's a way to make the approach we were taking work, but I think trying to do that is so risky that all financial backers need to know up front they're likely throwing away money.

Point being: don't be like me.

Find your tribe, discover what defines you all, and how you like to work/play/learn together before bringing money into the equation.

And a weird side thought:

12-step groups for addiction recovery operate using what they call the 12 traditions. They make

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi there,
> I am now convinced that we need to create a makerspace for Trenton NJ,
> is there anyone who might be interested in working on such a project?
> Any tips on fundraising ? Are there any grant applications or
> documents about starting a space you can share?
> thanks,
> mike
>
> --
> James Michael DuPont
> Kansas Linux Fest http://kansaslinuxfest.us
> Free/Libre Open Source and Open Knowledge Association of Kansas
> http://openkansas.us
> Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://www.flossk.org
> Saving Wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com

Re: [hackerspaces] Trenton NJ

Crawford Comeaux

Prematurely sent my last message. Continuing:

The 12 traditions form a very minimal framework for self-governance of a diverse group of people with a common goal/cause. If you just want a space with a community of members instead of random strangers who are members, the 12 traditions may be a simple (but not easy) starting point.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi there,
> I am now convinced that we need to create a makerspace for Trenton NJ,
> is there anyone who might be interested in working on such a project?
> Any tips on fundraising ? Are there any grant applications or
> documents about starting a space you can share?
> thanks,
> mike
>
> --
> James Michael DuPont
> Kansas Linux Fest http://kansaslinuxfest.us
> Free/Libre Open Source and Open Knowledge Association of Kansas
> http://openkansas.us
> Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://www.flossk.org
> Saving Wikipedia(tm) articles from deletion http://SpeedyDeletion.wikia.com

Re: [hackerspaces] Trenton NJ

Shirley Hicks
We ran an entire volunteer effort during our startup. It’s been hard work - and my 3/4 time focus for the past two and a half years.
Our story is at http://www.velochicdesign.com/category/red-mountain-makers/. I’m due to write another year recap (which while moving slower than we would like, is all good) We’ve begun scheduling classes and workshops, and are preparing for a larger push in the fall, with a focus on pre and post-college outreach (we talk to the fledgling on-campus group and have advised other suburban library-based efforts)

Short version, the space we landed was larger (5,000 sq ft) and more expensive than we really needed to get going. But it was what we could get into (other landlords with more appropriate space didn’t return our calls), so we sucked it up and got on with it. It required more work to renovate that we originally estimated, and it took two years to do what, if we had had the cash, would have taken two-three months for pros. We had a core group that has stuck with the effort through thick and thin, while getting out legal stuff in place, and IS and IT systems built out, and it actually grew about 25% each year through the worst of it. This spring, we’re starting to run _good_ classes and if we continue like this, will pick up speed over the summer and start shifting the culture our city.

So, you _could_ say that we wasted two years of operating budgets ($25,000/yr) and the time when if we’d had $50,000 (the estimated cost of the renovation of another space - which will probably be our next space). OTOH, the core group is _tight_ and while membership has churned more than we’d like, our network is infitrating the small city tech community quite nicely.

As soon as I finish the next iteration of our website (learning curve here) we will be applying for grants with other community partners to get more stuff started and laying the groundworks for a fundraising campaign early next year. Our finances, although slender, are going in the right direction.

The shape that we are taking locally is grass roots, bottom-up - and that alone is quite a change for the ‘ham.

Shirley Hicks
Treasurer
Red Mountain Makers