[hackerspaces] The Elusive RFID Equipment Interlock

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[hackerspaces] The Elusive RFID Equipment Interlock

Robert Davidson
Has anyone pulled it off?

I am looking for examples of spaces that actively use a RFID lockout on equipment.

If you have solved the mythical RFID Interlock could you share:

User Operation?
Front/Back-end Software?
Front/Back-end Hardware?
Issues on acceptance?
Issues on reliability?
How do you add users?
Automatic removals?
Lessons Learned?


as well as does anyone know of any:

Commercial Solutions?
Open Source Solutions?

Specifically I am looking for something off the shelf that I can integrate with 1000-10000 Members.

I would like to have at least 10 machines and capability of multi site up to 100 or so devices.

Integration into LDAP or AD is a key requirement for us as we don't want a standalone software that requires intervention if there membership lapses.

Thanks!

Robert Davidson
Dallas Makerspace




_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.hackerspaces.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [hackerspaces] The Elusive RFID Equipment Interlock

Joshua Pritt
We were thinking about using something similar to our front door lock (Access Control aka ACON) to enable/disable heavy equipment for only certain people.

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 4:14 PM, Robert Davidson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has anyone pulled it off?

I am looking for examples of spaces that actively use a RFID lockout on equipment.

If you have solved the mythical RFID Interlock could you share:

User Operation?
Front/Back-end Software?
Front/Back-end Hardware?
Issues on acceptance?
Issues on reliability?
How do you add users?
Automatic removals?
Lessons Learned?


as well as does anyone know of any:

Commercial Solutions?
Open Source Solutions?

Specifically I am looking for something off the shelf that I can integrate with 1000-10000 Members.

I would like to have at least 10 machines and capability of multi site up to 100 or so devices.

Integration into LDAP or AD is a key requirement for us as we don't want a standalone software that requires intervention if there membership lapses.

Thanks!

Robert Davidson
Dallas Makerspace




_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.hackerspaces.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss



_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.hackerspaces.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [hackerspaces] The Elusive RFID Equipment Interlock

Bacon Zombie

Have a look at the system London HackSpace use.

https://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Project:Tool_Access_Control

I don't know how upto date the wiki is and they are working on a new version of it, so best to ask on their mailing list and/or IRC channel.

On Aug 24, 2015 10:17 PM, "Joshua Pritt" <[hidden email]> wrote:
We were thinking about using something similar to our front door lock (Access Control aka ACON) to enable/disable heavy equipment for only certain people.

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 4:14 PM, Robert Davidson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has anyone pulled it off?

I am looking for examples of spaces that actively use a RFID lockout on equipment.

If you have solved the mythical RFID Interlock could you share:

User Operation?
Front/Back-end Software?
Front/Back-end Hardware?
Issues on acceptance?
Issues on reliability?
How do you add users?
Automatic removals?
Lessons Learned?


as well as does anyone know of any:

Commercial Solutions?
Open Source Solutions?

Specifically I am looking for something off the shelf that I can integrate with 1000-10000 Members.

I would like to have at least 10 machines and capability of multi site up to 100 or so devices.

Integration into LDAP or AD is a key requirement for us as we don't want a standalone software that requires intervention if there membership lapses.

Thanks!

Robert Davidson
Dallas Makerspace




_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.hackerspaces.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss



_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.hackerspaces.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss


_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.hackerspaces.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [hackerspaces] The Elusive RFID Equipment Interlock

Bob Bownes
In reply to this post by Joshua Pritt
We are working on it as well. Integration with Seltzer and COTS door readers/strikers/mag locks as well as contactors for controlling heavy equipment. The contactors are locked away in the electrical room so cannot be bypassed.

The one icky hack is that the card readers are a read once no matter how long you hold the card in front of the reader. This means you can turn the equipment on by holding the card in proximity, but off is either a timer or hold the card near the reader as long as you want to use the equipment (think card holder) force a re-read by power cycling the reader every N seconds. Neither is really 'clean'.



On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 4:16 PM, Joshua Pritt <[hidden email]> wrote:
We were thinking about using something similar to our front door lock (Access Control aka ACON) to enable/disable heavy equipment for only certain people.

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 4:14 PM, Robert Davidson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has anyone pulled it off?

I am looking for examples of spaces that actively use a RFID lockout on equipment.

If you have solved the mythical RFID Interlock could you share:

User Operation?
Front/Back-end Software?
Front/Back-end Hardware?
Issues on acceptance?
Issues on reliability?
How do you add users?
Automatic removals?
Lessons Learned?


as well as does anyone know of any:

Commercial Solutions?
Open Source Solutions?

Specifically I am looking for something off the shelf that I can integrate with 1000-10000 Members.

I would like to have at least 10 machines and capability of multi site up to 100 or so devices.

Integration into LDAP or AD is a key requirement for us as we don't want a standalone software that requires intervention if there membership lapses.

Thanks!

Robert Davidson
Dallas Makerspace




_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.hackerspaces.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss



_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.hackerspaces.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss



_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.hackerspaces.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [hackerspaces] The Elusive RFID Equipment Interlock

Shirley Hicks
Did a quick google and watched the promo video. This is an existing commercial solution out of Canada. 

No direct pricing online - I suspect that the quote will be adjusted depending on scale of operation.

— Shirley

On Aug 24, 2015, at 3:39 PM, Bob Bownes <[hidden email]> wrote:

We are working on it as well. Integration with Seltzer and COTS door readers/strikers/mag locks as well as contactors for controlling heavy equipment. The contactors are locked away in the electrical room so cannot be bypassed.

The one icky hack is that the card readers are a read once no matter how long you hold the card in front of the reader. This means you can turn the equipment on by holding the card in proximity, but off is either a timer or hold the card near the reader as long as you want to use the equipment (think card holder) force a re-read by power cycling the reader every N seconds. Neither is really 'clean'.



On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 4:16 PM, Joshua Pritt <[hidden email]> wrote:
We were thinking about using something similar to our front door lock (Access Control aka ACON) to enable/disable heavy equipment for only certain people.

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 4:14 PM, Robert Davidson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has anyone pulled it off?

I am looking for examples of spaces that actively use a RFID lockout on equipment.

If you have solved the mythical RFID Interlock could you share:

User Operation?
Front/Back-end Software?
Front/Back-end Hardware?
Issues on acceptance?
Issues on reliability?
How do you add users?
Automatic removals?
Lessons Learned?


as well as does anyone know of any:

Commercial Solutions?
Open Source Solutions?

Specifically I am looking for something off the shelf that I can integrate with 1000-10000 Members.

I would like to have at least 10 machines and capability of multi site up to 100 or so devices.

Integration into LDAP or AD is a key requirement for us as we don't want a standalone software that requires intervention if there membership lapses.

Thanks!

Robert Davidson
Dallas Makerspace




_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.hackerspaces.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss



_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.hackerspaces.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss


_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.hackerspaces.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss


_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.hackerspaces.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [hackerspaces] The Elusive RFID Equipment Interlock

Joshua Pritt
We've also tried thinking of a better way to control the "time" allotted / tracked on each piece of equipment.  Also since the RFID card reader reads it once we need to know how long the card is there so we've thought of card holders that read it and presses a button inside the holder until the card is removed.  The problem then becomes for things like:
1. What if I need to go outside while the 3D printer is printing and I need my RFID key to get back inside?
2. What if I need to leave the 3D printer running overnight for a long print?

The idea was to just give that person a 2nd card just for tools so they can leave it in the holder.
The SQL we use to verify keys in Seltzer works for multiple keys assigned to a single user so it would be easy to give each person two RFID cards.

Then you run into the mess if someone leaves their card overnight any other member can come in and take your card.  That would be terrible and I don't think anyone would do that but it is possible.

A timer is a bad solution since you could run out before the print finishes at 2 am.  So we thought you could just swipe multiple times to add 15 mins (or so) to the total run time.  But then you run into the problem of not giving yourself enough time for the print to finish or putting in too much time and allowing the next person to just start using the tool with leftover time.




On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 4:57 PM, Shirley Hicks <[hidden email]> wrote:
Did a quick google and watched the promo video. This is an existing commercial solution out of Canada. 

No direct pricing online - I suspect that the quote will be adjusted depending on scale of operation.

— Shirley

On Aug 24, 2015, at 3:39 PM, Bob Bownes <[hidden email]> wrote:

We are working on it as well. Integration with Seltzer and COTS door readers/strikers/mag locks as well as contactors for controlling heavy equipment. The contactors are locked away in the electrical room so cannot be bypassed.

The one icky hack is that the card readers are a read once no matter how long you hold the card in front of the reader. This means you can turn the equipment on by holding the card in proximity, but off is either a timer or hold the card near the reader as long as you want to use the equipment (think card holder) force a re-read by power cycling the reader every N seconds. Neither is really 'clean'.



On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 4:16 PM, Joshua Pritt <[hidden email]> wrote:
We were thinking about using something similar to our front door lock (Access Control aka ACON) to enable/disable heavy equipment for only certain people.

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 4:14 PM, Robert Davidson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has anyone pulled it off?

I am looking for examples of spaces that actively use a RFID lockout on equipment.

If you have solved the mythical RFID Interlock could you share:

User Operation?
Front/Back-end Software?
Front/Back-end Hardware?
Issues on acceptance?
Issues on reliability?
How do you add users?
Automatic removals?
Lessons Learned?


as well as does anyone know of any:

Commercial Solutions?
Open Source Solutions?

Specifically I am looking for something off the shelf that I can integrate with 1000-10000 Members.

I would like to have at least 10 machines and capability of multi site up to 100 or so devices.

Integration into LDAP or AD is a key requirement for us as we don't want a standalone software that requires intervention if there membership lapses.

Thanks!

Robert Davidson
Dallas Makerspace




_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.hackerspaces.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss



_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.hackerspaces.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss


_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.hackerspaces.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss


_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.hackerspaces.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss



_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.hackerspaces.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [hackerspaces] The Elusive RFID Equipment Interlock

Russ Garrett
In reply to this post by Bacon Zombie
On 24 August 2015 at 21:35, Bacon Zombie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Have a look at the system London HackSpace use.
>
> https://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Project:Tool_Access_Control

We call it ACNode, and the current version is based on the TI
Connected Launchpad devkit, with ethernet.

Firmware: https://github.com/londonhackspace/acnode-cl
Backend server: https://github.com/londonhackspace/acserver

We have three instances (plus one "legacy") deployed, but we have 5-10
more being rolled out currently. Some of them will be used simply for
access logging rather than access control. Hopefully so we can work
out who's grinding aluminium on our bench grinder.

I guess the wiki needs updating a bit. I can't really guarantee that
it's going to be useful if you're not us. It includes "time used"
tracking if the equipment is correctly instrumented.

--
Russ Garrett
[hidden email]
_______________________________________________
Discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.hackerspaces.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss