[hackerspaces] Space Allocation in Hackerspaces

[hackerspaces] Space Allocation in Hackerspaces

Leora Druckman
Hello All,

I am a new hackerspace board member who is also relatively new to backspaces in general and brand new to this list.

My questions are “How does your space handle the allocation of space/floorplanning?”  “What has worked particularly well for you and why?”  and “What has failed to work and why?”.

My guess is that there where some previous discussions that I have missed on this topic.  Instead of or in addition to responding to these questions, can you point me to threads in the archive that are relevant?

As you can guess, space allocation/floor planning has become more of an issue as we have grown and we are reassessing our rather informal method of dealing with these issues.

Any tips will be much appreciated.

Thank You,

Leora

Re: [hackerspaces] Space Allocation in Hackerspaces

Joshua Pritt
At Melbourne Makerspace we have a pretty small space.  So we added some wire shelving all the way down one wall.  Then we give each member a bankers box to store their personal projects and parts while they are away.
Then we have a rule that if you brought something and put it down on the main tables in the middle of the space, make sure you remove it before you leave or it becomes spare parts for other projects.  Unless you need its paint or glue to dry, etc. you can just label it with a note with your name and date when you'll be back.

We also added a lot of those stackable plastic drawer storeage along one wall to put all of our spare parts like gears, motors, USB cables/power, batteries, scrap wires, etc. and labeled each drawer.  We also built our own giant shelf that is basically a deck you would build for a house and put it up on 8 ft tall 4x4 posts.  The landlord and fire codes, etc. doesn't allow us to attach it to the wall so it stands on its own nice a snug against the walls.  We use this to store all the extra stuff that would take up floor space like spare laptops, PCs, monitors, roombas, and scrap wood and metals.

Our main tables in the center have locking wheels so they can be easily moved and rearranged for classes, etc. so it's easier to see the projector screen on the wall.

The main idea is to build/buy storage drawers and shelving and label everything!

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 1:39 AM, Leora Druckman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Bob Bownes
At the Center of Gravity we address this via several avenues:

SuperUsers pay more per month and each gets dedicated storage space (27 gallon bin) on shelves.

Projects drying/curing/etc can be 'parked' with a parking ticket or just have a note with when the owner will return.

Members can rent a 6'x9' 'innovation space' for $100/mo. As long as the contents don't overflow, ooze, combust, or smell offensive, it's fair game.

On Nov 17, 2015, at 09:31, Joshua Pritt <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

\0xDynamite
> My questions are “How does your space handle the allocation of
> space/floorplanning?”  “What has worked particularly well for you and why?”
> and “What has failed to work and why?”.

Think modularity for shared-use spaces and encapsulation for
individual, single-use spaces.

That means a lot of things on wheels (even couches) for the former,
and lots of built-ins (wired ethernet outlets, bookshelves) for the
latter.

\marxos

Re: [hackerspaces] Space Allocation in Hackerspaces

Bob Bownes
That means a lot of things on wheels (even couches) for the former,
and lots of built-ins (wired ethernet outlets, bookshelves) for the
latter.

​And electrical outlets. When we built our new space, I asked for quad outlet boxes set in the floors and ceilings on a 12'x12' grid. Costs forced us to settle on 15'x15'. Each box had 4 data jacks and 4 110VAC power outlets, except for shop areas, which are 208 VAC 5 wire (3 hots, neutral & ground), from which we can derive anything we need in the shop, mostly 208 3 phase, 208 2 pole, and 110. The electricians thought I was insane until I told them we never knew where anything was going to be and things would be rearranged constantly. They still didn't get it until we compared it to a theater or a museum.

  ​

On 11/17/15, Bob Bownes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> That means a lot of things on wheels (even couches) for the former,
>> and lots of built-ins (wired ethernet outlets, bookshelves) for the
>> latter.
>
> ​And electrical outlets.

+1.  And single-use spaces should be architected to the edges of your space.

\marxos

Re: [hackerspaces] Space Allocation in Hackerspaces

Chad Elish
As far as the property tags; we got ours from Twin Cities Maker Hack Factory. We modified them a bit and made Illustrator versions.

Here’s a link for you to download them: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByZJDX4mFjdDOS03NXBDRWplcjQ&usp=sharing

Cheers!
-Chad
President | HackPGH