[hackerspaces] Refugee Memberships...

12

[hackerspaces] Refugee Memberships...

Clark, Simon
At our meeting last night, we voted to make 3 memberships available to incoming refugees.  We’re just starting to discuss how the recipients will be chosen, and what the prerequisites are, but I was wondering if any other spaces had done something like this, and learned any lessons from it.

Simon Clark
Diyode Community Workshop

Re: [hackerspaces] Refugee Memberships...

Matt Joyce
If any refuges have shown up to one of our open events they have not identified themselves as refuges.

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 8:41 AM, Simon Clark <[hidden email]> wrote:
At our meeting last night, we voted to make 3 memberships available to incoming refugees.  We’re just starting to discuss how the recipients will be chosen, and what the prerequisites are, but I was wondering if any other spaces had done something like this, and learned any lessons from it.

Simon Clark
Diyode Community Workshop

Re: [hackerspaces] Refugee Memberships...

Clark, Simon
Hah, no, good point.

Our assumption is that we will work with the local agency that is resettling refuges. We would give them a list of some basic requirements (basic interest, some history of working with tools, basic english, etc), and let them decide who the initial recipients are.

On Dec 1, 2015, at 8:55 AM, matt <[hidden email]> wrote:

If any refuges have shown up to one of our open events they have not identified themselves as refuges.

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 8:41 AM, Simon Clark <[hidden email]> wrote:
At our meeting last night, we voted to make 3 memberships available to incoming refugees.  We’re just starting to discuss how the recipients will be chosen, and what the prerequisites are, but I was wondering if any other spaces had done something like this, and learned any lessons from it.

Simon Clark
Diyode Community Workshop

Re: [hackerspaces] Refugee Memberships...

sheila miguez
Doing outreach to inform people that hackerspaces are a thing so that they know they have an option to use them is a good idea.

Working with a local agency who is hooked in sounds like a good idea to get the information out there since it's not likely that recent refugees will hear about you via word of mouth. Free classes (in addition to grants) sounds like a good idea too.

A long time ago I volunteered to help tutor refugee kids and also tried assisting with a class on computers. It was very different than what I expected and what I knew to teach wasn't what they needed at that point.

Talking to the case workers before progressing too far with plans might be a good idea, and perhaps you all have done this?

[...]

Shirley Hicks
For someone who is just arriving, and who has tech skills, the makerspace or hackerspace is an excellent local networking opportunity.
Making a supported membership available to those who are interested will result .

— Shirley Hicks
Red Mountain Makers
Birmingham, AL

On Dec 1, 2015, at 11:21 AM, Chris Weiss <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Bue Thastum
I’ve often been thinking that a cool way someone could help refugees in a particular city or area was to try and make some sort of guide for open, low or no cost, community spaces and gatherings that actively works on making it easy for newcomers to participate. Hacker- and makerspaces would be an obvious thing to figure in that, alongsides stuff like people’s kitchens, volunteer-run urban gardens, various sports groups etc. The guide could also detail, for example, whether and to what extend prior knowledge and skills were needed in order to be able to participate.

- Bue

---
Bue Thastum
+45 61 70 53 90
skype: buethastum
twitter: @buethastum

On 01 Dec 2015, at 18:32, sheila miguez <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Danilo Bargen
Am Mi, 2. Dez 2015, um 10:44, schrieb matt:
Syria is not known for it's tech base.

Yeah, people form Syria are primitive people that dwell in caves and don't have any education whatsoever.

Cheerio from the enlightened central Europe

Re: [hackerspaces] Refugee Memberships...

Matt Joyce
Love when europeans pretend to be enlightened.

I grew up in a third world country =)

Pretty sure I'm familiar with shitty tech bases.

-Matt

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 10:58 AM, Danilo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am Mi, 2. Dez 2015, um 10:44, schrieb matt:
Syria is not known for it's tech base.

Yeah, people form Syria are primitive people that dwell in caves and don't have any education whatsoever.

Cheerio from the enlightened central Europe

Re: [hackerspaces] Refugee Memberships...

Sam Ley
I appreciate that some hackerspaces are looking for ways to become a good resource for resettling refugees. I have a friend who spent many years volunteering with refugee resettlement groups here in Colorado and always reminded people how much refugees are disconnected from the basic services of society, and how just introductions to people and services in the community means a lot for their successful resettlement.

Regarding tech bases, Syrians in general are quite a bit better educated than the neighboring countries - until recently it was considered prosperous for the region. And since it takes resources to flee, we are getting the most educated groups - among adult Syrian refugees admitted to the US, their level of education is higher than the US population at large, meaning if you approached a group of adult Syrian refugees for hackerspace membership, you'd be more likely to get college educated people than if you approached a random group of US citizens.

Syria may not have a huge tech industry or a lot of exports (certainly not now), but that doesn't mean the citizens are dumb, or otherwise not interested in or in need of educational resources once they arrive.

-Sam

Am Mi, 2. Dez 2015, um 10:58, schrieb Danilo:

Yeah, people form Syria are primitive people that dwell in caves and don't have any education whatsoever.

Cheerio from the enlightened central Europe

Just so that nobody understands me wrong: Obviously my previous comment was meant ironically.

Am Mi, 2. Dez 2015, um 11:00, schrieb matt:
I grew up in a third world country =)

Pretty sure I'm familiar with shitty tech bases.

So did I. Also, my roommate is a refugee from Syria. (A tailor though, not a technical guy.)

I'm not sure if I understood your comment correctly, matt. But no matter how educated a population is in general, or how much we hear from their "tech scene", there are always some people that might be interested in technology.

I grew up in a remote region in the Amazon of Peru. There were no hackerspaces and I did not know what a hacker was back then. Nevertheless, I knew some people that I'd consider hackers nowadays. If they had to flee the country, they would probably be happy to join a hackerspace if they had the possibility to do so.

I'm not sure what the situation is like in the US, but here in Switzerland a lot of refugees are happy if they can do something, anything. And if they can get to know local people at the same time, then that's even better. For them and for their integration.

You will probably find a lot of refugees that don't know anything about technology. But there might be some. And if hackerspaces work together with the organizations that deal with the refugees, these organizations might find people interested in tech among them and could connect them with the hackerspaces. I think that's a great idea.

(Just keep in mind that these people probably need some "buddies" that show them around and assist them during the following months or years.)

Besides that: What Sam said.

Cheers
Danilo

Re: [hackerspaces] Refugee Memberships...

Bastiaan van den Berg
https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/Syria

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 4:44 PM, matt <[hidden email]> wrote:
Syria is not known for it's tech base.

Neither is america, but we dont keep going on about it ...

--
buZz

Re: [hackerspaces] Refugee Memberships...

Matt Joyce
Danyelle, we've known each other a while.

And I can tell you that the 'hood' in the US for the most part is lightyears different from the 'hood' in most of the undeveloped world.  Pretty sure you realize that.  And I'm not saying joe/sally kid from anywhere can't learn.  Every kid can.  But sally and joe adult who have had a lifetime to grow and solidify who they are are not about to get down and dirty with the bitscape while facing off with all the shit in the world being thrown at them.

Rest of thread,

And while I will agree there are no doubt bad ass syrian developers / hackers out there.  Most folks will not have any exposure to technology or the fundamentals necessary to succeed with it.  I am not saying don't try.  I am saying be prepared to go a hell of a lot slower than you ever have before.  And be prepared to realize you are not equipped or prepared to deal with what you get.  And yes our refuge process is expensive and time consuming resulting usually in allowing in only the most resolute and prepared.  But, that's no reason to go making assumptions about anything.

If you can push on through and succeed.  Happy happy Joy joy etc.  If not, well... lessons can be learned if you document the experience.

Not saying don't try.  Just, be ready for something very different from what you envision and a hell of a lot more frustrating.  I had a co-worker like a decade and a bit back.  From a small town in backwater bumblefuck kenya.  He was the next in line for the tribal leadership so the tribe got together and paid to get him educated in America.  Kid went into software, and I met him as a bad ass j2ee dev.  Fun dude.  He never went home ( aside from visits), but did buy them a ton of cattle every year.  But, he explained to me once that his grandmother would never believe that he'd been aboard an airplane.  The idea was anathema to what she knew of the world.  And that sort of anathema is HARD to get people to climb over.  Especially in adverse conditions.  That's what I've experienced in undeveloped countries.  And that's something I think the US and Europe largely do not have a notion of.

-Matt

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 9:44 AM, matt <[hidden email]> wrote:
Syria is not known for it's tech base.

Other comments aside, consider other types of tech such as wood working, machining, textiles. people can also have fun, be entertained, meet people.

I have not done any non-trivial volunteering and don't work much in my community so consider me as a boorish nerdplainer who will shutup soon. until then, I give as an example in my neighborhood a center (not a refugee center but still illustrative) with a cleaning co-op and an alternative economy project.

http://mexicosolidarity.org/centroaut%C3%B3nomo/cooperatives/en
http://mexicosolidarity.org/programs/alternativeeconomy/en

Maybe people will meet and have similar ideas or many other ideas and things I do not even know to imagine.