[hackerspaces] Radio enthusiasts

\0xDynamite
On an different note, there's some new material that has been
tentatively approved with regard to radio communications vis. mesh
networking or municipal wifi and such.

I'm wondering if anyone finds it useful?  It gives bands that can be
used and power limitations for unlicensed operators experimenting with
new radio technologies.  It's just a stub, until someone tell me more
about it's (non/)usefulness.

Cheers,
marxos

Re: [hackerspaces] Radio enthusiasts

dosman
Say, got a link to this new material? Which region does apply to?

Thanks,
-dosman

> On Apr 17, 2017, at 11:32 PM, 0xDynamite <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On an different note, there's some new material that has been
> tentatively approved with regard to radio communications vis. mesh
> networking or municipal wifi and such.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone finds it useful?  It gives bands that can be
> used and power limitations for unlicensed operators experimenting with
> new radio technologies.  It's just a stub, until someone tell me more
> about it's (non/)usefulness.
>
> Cheers,
> marxos

Re: [hackerspaces] Radio enthusiasts

Joshua Pritt
I think radio mesh networks for disaster recovery and emergency services is a GREAT group project we could all work on at some point.
I wonder how far along this project got at the Makers Local 256 in Huntsville, AL?
From what I remember, there was a deep cycle marine battery on a hand truck with a box full of the radio/wifi/etc and computer equipment and storage drives with deploy-able solar panels on top to keep the battery topped up.  I think they had the software set up to auto-find other nodes and connect and duplicate data in certain cases.
I can imagine rolling a few of these out over a city without power to get radio and internet connections back up temporarily for emergencies.

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 8:42 AM, dosman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Say, got a link to this new material? Which region does apply to?

Thanks,
-dosman

> On Apr 17, 2017, at 11:32 PM, 0xDynamite <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On an different note, there's some new material that has been
> tentatively approved with regard to radio communications vis. mesh
> networking or municipal wifi and such.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone finds it useful?  It gives bands that can be
> used and power limitations for unlicensed operators experimenting with
> new radio technologies.  It's just a stub, until someone tell me more
> about it's (non/)usefulness.
>
> Cheers,
> marxos

Re: [hackerspaces] Radio enthusiasts

riot-2
Ohai marxos && all,

On 18.04.2017 05:32, \0xDynamite wrote:
> On an different note, there's some new material that has been
> tentatively approved with regard to radio communications vis. mesh
> networking or municipal wifi and such.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone finds it useful?  It gives bands that can be
> used and power limitations for unlicensed operators experimenting with
> new radio technologies.  It's just a stub, until someone tell me more
> about it's (non/)usefulness.

You might want to supply a reference. Like some good old URL or search
terms or something, so people know exactly what you're talking about.

(i.e. i am a radio enthusiast but i have no clue what you're referring
to, except maybe the good old now-being-reused tell-lie-vision band?)

--
Cheers,
riot

Check out the Hackerfleet Operating System! https://hackerfleet.github.io

Re: [hackerspaces] Radio enthusiasts

\0xDynamite
> Say, got a link to this new material? Which region does apply to?

Region is under the US, but the principles and radiation formula
should be sound for terrestrial use (not in aircraft and such or
anywhere where you might put someone in danger).

The thing is that this is new experimentation that isn't understood
well enough to codify into law.  So just as the FAA grants approval
for experimental aircraft and flight by non-licensed pilots to allow
innovation, the guidelines in the article below have been written to
allow some experimentation to work out characteristics with
high-density 2-way communications, like with mesh networking.   It's a
new arena.  The guidelines are also quite legally defensible if you
run into problems, as they are about providing the greatest benefit to
the public good.  Tell them to talk to me.  The only possibility is
stepping over some other unlicensed operator of a commercial product
(many R/C toys, garage door remotes, cordless telephones), in which
case you have equal rights as the corporations to use the band,
technically, but don't test it unless you're a freedom fighter.  It's
helpful to have a operator's license, so you can be legit.

The info is supplied at the wiki.hackerspaces.org/Radio_Enthusiasts.
Feel free to start a discussion on the discussion tab, but there's a
lot of new hope and possibilties.

Marxos