[hackerspaces] RFID access was Re: WordPress websites - what features/plugins and configurations do your spaces use?

[hackerspaces] RFID access was Re: WordPress websites - what features/plugins and configurations do your spaces use?

sheila miguez

On Sun, Nov 1, 2015 at 10:48 AM, Bob Baddeley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Then it gets cool. We built another plugin on top of all these that manages 'machines' in the space and their usage. We have RFID keys for door access, and Raspberry Pi's at the doors. When an RFID is swiped, the pi makes a web service request to our plugin to check the membership and permission level of that user and allows them access. We have some caching in place in case the web goes down, but essentially we have a web interface that controls who has access to what physical things. We've also tied this system in to our laser cutter, where we not only enable/disable the laser based on whether the person has been trained, but we track the length of the job and charge against their account funds for how many seconds of laser time (since the laser tube is a consumable). We have a scale next to our 3D printer area with a pi that lets you pay for plastic parts using account funds as well.

This is really interesting and I would like more details!

At PS1 we have a similar door control system that makes service requests to our member site. We use it to manage member information rather than a wiki plugin.

I would like to know how you have tied your system in to the laser cutter and other tools.

Re: [hackerspaces] RFID access was Re: WordPress websites - what features/plugins and configurations do your spaces use?

Shirley Hicks

On Nov 5, 2015, at 11:31 AM, sheila miguez <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

So would I. And thanks for sharing the details! I’m finally compiling the list.

— Shirley

At PS1 we have a similar door control system that makes service requests to our member site. We use it to manage member information rather than a wiki plugin.

I would like to know how you have tied your system in to the laser cutter and other tools.

Re: [hackerspaces] RFID access was Re: WordPress websites - what features/plugins and configurations do your spaces use?

Arclight
For the RFID hardware, we're using off-the-shelf Wiegand-format
readers (available in 125Khz open-standard formats like EM4100 as well
as Mifare/NFC) and the custom board we've been making/selling:

http://accxproducts.com/wiki/index.php?title=Open_Access_4.0

The server side can be a Pi bolted directly on or a USB connection to a server.

It's a bit of work to roll a custom board with proper input protection
and the like on every input.  This is one of our more successful
open-source hardware projects to date.

Arclight
23b Shop

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 6:24 PM, Russell Fair <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bob, I'd love to see if we can use your plugin at our space. Any chance
> you'd consider open sourcing it?
>
> Russell
>
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 6:40 PM, Shirley Hicks <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>

>> On Nov 5, 2015, at 11:31 AM, sheila miguez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Nov 1, 2015 at 10:48 AM, Bob Baddeley
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Then it gets cool. We built another plugin on top of all these that
>>> manages 'machines' in the space and their usage. We have RFID keys for door
>>> access, and Raspberry Pi's at the doors. When an RFID is swiped, the pi
>>> makes a web service request to our plugin to check the membership and
>>> permission level of that user and allows them access. We have some caching
>>> in place in case the web goes down, but essentially we have a web interface
>>> that controls who has access to what physical things. We've also tied this
>>> system in to our laser cutter, where we not only enable/disable the laser
>>> based on whether the person has been trained, but we track the length of the
>>> job and charge against their account funds for how many seconds of laser
>>> time (since the laser tube is a consumable). We have a scale next to our 3D
>>> printer area with a pi that lets you pay for plastic parts using account
>>> funds as well.
>>

>> This is really interesting and I would like more details!
>>
>> So would I. And thanks for sharing the details! I’m finally compiling the
>> list.
>>
>> — Shirley
>>
>> At PS1 we have a similar door control system that makes service requests
>> to our member site. We use it to manage member information rather than a
>> wiki plugin.
>>

>> I would like to know how you have tied your system in to the laser cutter
>> and other tools.
>>
>> --
>> [hidden email]

> Thanks,
>
> Russell Fair
> 770.401.9039

Re: [hackerspaces] RFID access was Re: WordPress websites - what features/plugins and configurations do your spaces use?

Chad Elish

I had a nice talk with Bob the other week. HackPGH are going to be working with Bob and Sector67 to create a better plugin to use with WooCommerce.

I’m really interested in the Board you guys are using Arclight.

I think treasury and access control are the two hardest parts in running a HackerSpace.
Would everyone be down to do a Hangout and discuss how we can merge all of this and make a standard.

Cheers!
-Chad
President | HackPGH
Pittsburgh’s First Makerspace

<[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Robert Davidson
Chad,
I would love to join in on this discussion if you open a hang out over in Dallas we have some good things and bad things.
I can probably talk about scale issues and things I wish we solved early on around access.

We do a implementation of WHMCS and a application called Maker Manager 2 as well as Chinese RFID controllers.

Some things I wish we solved earlier:

Tracking Family/Corporate Member
AD/LDAP integration
Tracking Safety Classes they have been completed.
Waivers
RFID Integration

What we have solved is self service access control, recurring billing, automatic notifications, Automatic badge activation and termination and waiver checks.

Thanks,
Robert Davidson
Dallas Makerspace

<[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I have a log of WordPress plugin development experience and would very much like to be involved if you want help. Integrating with Woocommerce sounds great, but I think having an api for the pi / rfid backend that "could" be extended to work with any ecommerce plugin would be a good idea. We use Restrict Content Pro because it has a membership component tied in. if you convert the plugin to WC only it becomes a way edge case to use. Just sayin...

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 11:53 PM, Arclight <[hidden email]> wrote:
For the RFID hardware, we're using off-the-shelf Wiegand-format
readers (available in 125Khz open-standard formats like EM4100 as well
as Mifare/NFC) and the custom board we've been making/selling:

http://accxproducts.com/wiki/index.php?title=Open_Access_4.0

The server side can be a Pi bolted directly on or a USB connection to a server.

It's a bit of work to roll a custom board with proper input protection
and the like on every input.  This is one of our more successful
open-source hardware projects to date.

Arclight
23b Shop

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 6:24 PM, Russell Fair <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Bob, I'd love to see if we can use your plugin at our space. Any chance
> you'd consider open sourcing it?
>
> Russell
>
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 6:40 PM, Shirley Hicks <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>

>> On Nov 5, 2015, at 11:31 AM, sheila miguez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Nov 1, 2015 at 10:48 AM, Bob Baddeley
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Then it gets cool. We built another plugin on top of all these that
>>> manages 'machines' in the space and their usage. We have RFID keys for door
>>> access, and Raspberry Pi's at the doors. When an RFID is swiped, the pi
>>> makes a web service request to our plugin to check the membership and
>>> permission level of that user and allows them access. We have some caching
>>> in place in case the web goes down, but essentially we have a web interface
>>> that controls who has access to what physical things. We've also tied this
>>> system in to our laser cutter, where we not only enable/disable the laser
>>> based on whether the person has been trained, but we track the length of the
>>> job and charge against their account funds for how many seconds of laser
>>> time (since the laser tube is a consumable). We have a scale next to our 3D
>>> printer area with a pi that lets you pay for plastic parts using account
>>> funds as well.
>>

>> This is really interesting and I would like more details!
>>
>> So would I. And thanks for sharing the details! I’m finally compiling the
>> list.
>>
>> — Shirley
>>
>> At PS1 we have a similar door control system that makes service requests
>> to our member site. We use it to manage member information rather than a
>> wiki plugin.
>>

>> I would like to know how you have tied your system in to the laser cutter
>> and other tools.
>>
>> --
>> [hidden email]

> Thanks,
>
> Russell Fair

Russell Fair
770.401.9039

Re: [hackerspaces] RFID access was Re: WordPress websites - what features/plugins and configurations do your spaces use?

Joshua Pritt
Don't forget if you're using Seltzer (or any membership/payment DB for that matter) you can use our ACON project for access control:

Prishtina Hackerspace in Kosovo http://www.prishtinahackerspace.org is the first one to use it and called it HACCSY: http://www.prishtinahackerspace.org/haccsy-hackerspace-access-control-and-check-in-system

On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 8:32 PM, Russell Fair <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> system in to our laser cutter, where we not only enable/disable the laser
>>> based on whether the person has been trained, but we track the length of the
>>> job and charge against their account funds for how many seconds of laser
>>> time (since the laser tube is a consumable). We have a scale next to our 3D
>>> printer area with a pi that lets you pay for plastic parts using account
>>> funds as well.
>>

>> This is really interesting and I would like more details!
>>
>> So would I. And thanks for sharing the details! I’m finally compiling the
>> list.
>>
>> — Shirley
>>
>> At PS1 we have a similar door control system that makes service requests
>> to our member site. We use it to manage member information rather than a
>> wiki plugin.
>>

>> I would like to know how you have tied your system in to the laser cutter

Russell Fair

Re: [hackerspaces] RFID access was Re: WordPress websites - what features/plugins and configurations do your spaces use?

Arclight

We were fortunate to get some help from a guy in the security industry when we developed the Open Access board.  I then went to a trade show as well as tearing down a bunch of old equipment.

The hardware in commercial alarm and access systems nothing special technology-wise.  What makes it expensive is the limited market and need for very high resiliance in the equipment.
We settled on an architecture that separates the "hard" tasks (Keeping the doors, readers and sensors properly serviced and in-state) from the soft tasks (logging, Internet connectivity).

We felt that hard tasks are best performed by a small system with a tiny code base and real-time properties. The RasPi has GPIOs, but using them for the real-time stuff ties us to specific hardware, and RasPi models turn over periodically.

It also exposes us to possible issues if we manage to crash the OS.  We incorporated a "hardened" Arduino-compatible into the board, and made it possible to phsyically bolt a RasPi on and power/connect via serial on the GPIO header or standard USB.

All of the inputs are protected with TVS diodes and current-limiters and the input power has reverse polarity, noise and surge protection.

The soft tasks are likewise not so great on an Arduino.  Sure, we could use a hardware Ethernet stack and an SD card for logging, but we're starting to push the limits of a small device and don't get a firewall, DHCP client, SSL, etc.

Anyway, this has been working well enough that we've sold close to 100 of these.  You can buy one here:

https://www.wallofsheep.com

Arclight
(Shameless plugger of hackerspace businesses)

Re: [hackerspaces] RFID access was Re: WordPress websites - what features/plugins and configurations do your spaces use?

Bob Baddeley
Right, so we had a hackathon a couple weeks ago during which I cleaned up the access and billing plugin considerably. There's still an outstanding privilege escalation issue I need to resolve before I'm comfortable sharing the code (I don't want you jerks hacking Sector67, and this issue is only under specific conditions you can't replicate), but expect it to be available soon.

The plugin is independent of the hardware, so you could use whatever hardware you want and access the REST API to do stuff. At Sector we're using Raspberry Pis with the LCD+Keypad Plate and RFID reader. I'm rewriting those scripts to be a little more robust and reliable and will release those soon, too.

I'd be interested in a standard API. It seems everybody needs a hardware part and a web-based part, and it'd be nice to have the hardware options play nicely with any of the web-based options. Especially since the API is where considerable security vulnerabilities can exist and a group effort could mitigate a lot of those.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Bob, totally understand the concern. I would very much like to see the plugin as soon as you feel comfortable. Even if you share privately with the "ugly's" removed anything that I can do to bootstrap this would be helpful. I'm mainly looking for any user meta data tied to pi / rfid.

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 6:24 PM, Russell Fair <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
Bob, I'd love to see if we can use your plugin at our space. Any chance
you'd consider open sourcing it?

Russell

<[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Revisiting this thread nine months later as I’m in the middle of implementing our next CRM using WooCommerce and am a bit hung up getting things working with PayPal.

If anyone who has done this before has some time available early next week and who would be willing to walk through a site remotely to examine how our configuration is versus what you are using within your makerspace, I’d be very VERY grateful.

Shirley Hicks
Treasurer
Red Mountain Makers

<[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Dave Rowntree
Ooh. I'm just implementing RFID access to our laser cuttter and integration into our door access system right now. I'd love to see a description of your system and some of the rules handling and logic involved. The problems you've already solved are identical to my goals. I'm sure our hardware and software implementation would differ, but that's just code...

Dave.

On 5 November 2015 at 17:31, sheila miguez <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Dave Rowntree,
Director of Sobuildit Limited
Trustee of Southampton Makerspace
@rowntree_dave