[hackerspaces] Paid Staff

Bill Shaw-2
As Tampa Hackerspace approaches 100 members, we're starting to look forward for the best ways to handle growth and scaling without driving ourselves crazy. One thing we're considering is whether it makes sense to have someone on payroll to take care of some basic things.

For the more established and larger spaces out there, I'm curious how many members you had when you added your first paid staff. What was your overall budget at the time? Were they part time or full time? What responsibilities did they have?

Regards,
Bill Shaw
Tampa Hackerspace

Re: [hackerspaces] Paid Staff

Bastiaan van den Berg
The day our hackerspace doesn't have enough active participants to do voluntary management itself, is a day that I hope never comes.

--
buZz
NURDspace.nl

Re: [hackerspaces] Paid Staff

Clement Quinson
Hi all,
Electrolab (1500m²/17.000sqf hackerspace near Paris, France, 5+ years of existence) currently has one fulltime employee and plans to recruit more within few months.

Key aspects:
- we're obviously organized as a non-profit, and most of our work/tasks to run the organization is done by volunteers.
- first employee was on a heavily subsidised 1 year contract (cost for us: 800€/month) and was recruited when we had around 70 regular members and more or less enough income margin to pay that cost.
- current employee was recruited on a standard fulltime position (and costs us much more than 800€/month)
- tasks include:
1/ accounting, billing, mail, ... in general, admin stuff.
2/ Refill of the bar & vending machines (important chunk of our income).
3/ opening the lab during office hours (& phonecalls, emails, etc) & tours of the facility.
4/ member interface (eg membership dues, emails, subscribe to trainings, use of meeting room, activities planning...)

Yes, this is absolutely not an easy job (worth more than one fulltime position), and we plan to add more workforce soon/as soon as possible/even before that (classic chicken and egg problem).
We recruited one of our long time member who was looking for a job and willing to dive deep into this pile of cr... to assist volunteers who try to get shit done aside of their own daytime jobs (which, at some point, becomes impossible).

We had a vote about cleaning: should we pay someone to come an do it, or keep this task for volunteers. Members decided to not pay someone to do it.

Also:
- current member base: between 150 and 200 ; we also have companies (we sublease 3 separate offices of approx 40m² each to startups)
- current monthly rent: approx 5000€
- current monthly income: between 7000€ and 10000€ (depending on occasional revenue streams, eg events/renting of space, subsidies, sponsoring, ...)

So... yeah, that's super tight, BUT we (board members) see it as a transition phase.

Having people paid to fulltime focus on critical day to day tasks allows us (the organization, the board & volunteers) to grow the memberbase, have more companies pay a premium to use our facility during office hours, and have volunteers focus on tasks other than the routine/recurring/boring things that should ideally be done on a payroll.

Hope this brings interesting info, comments and additional questions more than welcome!
Clement, board member and co-founder

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 12:41 PM, Bill Shaw <[hidden email]> wrote:
As Tampa Hackerspace approaches 100 members, we're starting to look forward for the best ways to handle growth and scaling without driving ourselves crazy. One thing we're considering is whether it makes sense to have someone on payroll to take care of some basic things.

For the more established and larger spaces out there, I'm curious how many members you had when you added your first paid staff. What was your overall budget at the time? Were they part time or full time? What responsibilities did they have?

Regards,
Bill Shaw
Tampa Hackerspace

Re: [hackerspaces] Paid Staff

Pete Prodoehl

Milwaukee Makerspace has 260 members and no paid staff. Everyone is a volunteer. We have 7 Board Members who do most of the work of running the space.

One of the issues we've had is that if we have any employees, we'd be subject to OSHA regulations (or at least that's what we've been led to believe.) How do others deal with that. I'm not suggestion our space isn't safe, but we'd probably have to do a lot more if we fell under OSHA guidelines.

Pete

On 8/19/16 5:41 AM, Bill Shaw wrote:
As Tampa Hackerspace approaches 100 members, we're starting to look forward for the best ways to handle growth and scaling without driving ourselves crazy. One thing we're considering is whether it makes sense to have someone on payroll to take care of some basic things.

For the more established and larger spaces out there, I'm curious how many members you had when you added your first paid staff. What was your overall budget at the time? Were they part time or full time? What responsibilities did they have?

Regards,
Bill Shaw
Tampa Hackerspace

Re: [hackerspaces] Paid Staff

dosman
To be fair, I think the dream is to be able to pay “other people" to deal with all the boring overhead stuff. The unfortunately reality is that not only is that nearly always too expensive, it also sorta puts “them" in charge of your space. Also it doesn’t give folks in our demographic the opportunity to grow by learning leadership, management, and just general social/volunteer skills. But still, nothing wrong with the dream…

-dosman

> On Aug 19, 2016, at 6:46 AM, Bastiaan van den Berg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The day our hackerspace doesn't have enough active participants to do voluntary management itself, is a day that I hope never comes.
>
> --
> buZz
> NURDspace.nl

Re: [hackerspaces] Paid Staff

webmind
On 19/08/16 12:41, Bill Shaw wrote:
> As Tampa Hackerspace approaches 100 members, we're starting to look
> forward for the best ways to handle growth and scaling without driving
> ourselves crazy. One thing we're considering is whether it makes sense
> to have someone on payroll to take care of some basic things.
>
> For the more established and larger spaces out there, I'm curious how
> many members you had when you added your first paid staff. What was your
> overall budget at the time? Were they part time or full time? What
> responsibilities did they have?

Technologia Incognita (one of the hackerspaces in Amsterdam) has about
100 members, never had paid staff. We have considered paying someone to
clean, but a majority of people was against. I think we have paid
someone once to clean the windows.

Personally, to me hackerspaces are community projects where you run a
space as a community. Not some rich-kids playground who are afraid of a
bit of dirty work once in a while. That's what I think about when I
think of paid staff.

w.

Re: [hackerspaces] Paid Staff

Chad Elish
I agree with Pete… As soon as you add Paid Employees, it changes the business (and culture) significantly.

HackPGH has a policy that we charge $30/mo and require a minimum 3 hours of volunteer time per month… Wether that is working on a group shop project or cleaning the space, our members are required to help out.

Rather then actively track the time because that would be a logistical nightmare, we work on the honor system. The first rule of our shop is ‘Don’t be a Dick’ (Heres a great book) or for the others, ‘Be excellent to each other’. If we see people not giving back to the community, we call them out. If it continues, we put them on probation, and in extreme cases ask them to leave.

Doing it this way, we see a stronger community develop, friendships made and the shop stays clean.

Cheers!
-Chad
President | HackPGH
Pittsburgh’s First Makerspace

On Aug 19, 2016, at 10:59 AM, webmind <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Robert Davidson
Dallas Makerspace has 1,300 members and we have no full time staff and zero employees.

We do have a porter that cleans 8 hours a day for 3 days a week. (We found it was cheaper to have someone 8 hours than occasional weekly cleanings) (We pay a company for this service so no contractor/employee status)
We are transitioning over to a bookkeeper/accounting firm now to handle documentation for our books.  (Paid Service)
We use a company called parks pantry that provide kitchen services (Think gas station food and drinks with a kiosk to pay)

One of the reasons I believe we have been able to grow as large as we have without paid support is automation.

Automate everything that is possible:

Member Management
Access Control
Calendar
Billing

On OSHA I have heard it said under 10 employees and depending on your classification there are partial exemptions, I would call the inspector and just ask.

Hope that helps.

Robert Davidson
Dallas Makerspace

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 10:31 AM, Chad Elish <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I can’t agree more with getting some type of automation up. It’s a game changer! it’s easy to track 10 - 20 people. But when you get above the 30 mark it gets difficult fast!

HackPGH is working with Sector67 to implement some of their amazing automation scripts/techniques with our space. In the end, we’ll have Member Management, Door and Tool access control, as well as member managed events/calendar and tool and membership billing. Everything runs off of Wordpress and WooCommerce.

There was a great message thread that happened a few months ago that describes all of the different automation tools that different spaces use. It’s a long read but very informative.

On Aug 19, 2016, at 12:03 PM, Robert Davidson <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

justin corwin
At Crashspace we have avoided paid staff except for one time unavoidable work (lawyer reviewing non profit paperwork, etc). We have done a very successful intern program, where we give a free membership to an enthusiastic person in exchange for them pitching in on cleaning, administrative tasks. Most interns went on to be very productive normal members afterwards. (in fact, thinking of it we should really get our next one in).

It helps that we have stayed around 100 members for a while, and most people know each other very well. Everyone wants a clean space and things to keep moving forward. We have an elected Board that makes most of the decisions, and officers empowered to spend a little money and throw stuff out as needed.

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 10:23 AM, Chad Elish <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Matt Joyce
Silicon Valley's HackerDojo had a paid greater at the place.  Who acted like a receptionist and gave tours / assisted newcomers.

It was pretty worthwhile for them as they acted like a co-working space rather than a hackerspace ( at least by that point ).

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 3:29 PM, justin corwin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Bob Bownes

At the Center of Gravity, we have ~500 members and a paid Executive Director. We got grant money to pay for him for a year. The primary job is fundraising, running our entrepreneurial services group and getting the place self sustaining.

The landlord provides cleaning and the like as part of the rent. But he's not happy about how much time it takes to clean.

We offer credit towards membership for volunteering. Working a 4 hour shift gets you $10 off your membership for the month. You can volunteer your membership down to $0. Membership ranges from $30/mo (student regular) to $120/mo (family superuser)

We have a fair number of co-workers who pay $50/mo to use the facility, but not the equipment.

Our BoD members are expected to be rainmakers and to bring in at least $10k/year each in donations.

Komrade

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 3:43 PM, Silence Dogood <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

MacLemon

> From: Bill Shaw <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> For the more established and larger spaces out there, I'm curious how many
> members you had when you added your first paid staff. What was your overall
> budget at the time?

Metalab - Vienna/Austria (222m², 200±5 Members, Estd. 2006)
https://metalab.at/

All work is done voluntarily as mandated in our statute.
Board consists of the legal minimum requirement (3 people) in Austria, with another 3 people in deputy roles (which were added starting this term).

Board members shall only do the work/make descisions that are necessary for legal reasons. The day-to-day operations is handled by the community and the so called “Jour-Fixe”. That’s a (more or less) bi-weekly meeting of people to make decisions, discuss current issues, suggest new ideas and project, coordinate things, etc.

We’re counting on the intrinsic motivation that the Metalab is of value to the folks who attend regularly or visit occasionally that all necessary work get’s done. This, of course, works better or worse from time to time and depending on the issues. The usual 20/80% rules apply. (20% ±active people do the necessary tasks to keep the space alive and kicking for ± just lurking 80%.)
YMMV…

Best regards
@MacLemon