[hackerspaces] [OT] Citizen applications for 'Asgardia' opened.

[hackerspaces] [OT] Citizen applications for 'Asgardia' opened.

Cecilia Tanaka

Citizen applications for 'Asgardia' opened.  Mirimir, John, let's try?  The Earth is too mainstream for us, hahahaha!!  ;D

And, of course, it will be f-ck¡ng fun running the first hackerspace in the space, wohooo!!!  ;D

http://asgardia.space/citizenship

http://airc.at/#1

https://www.rt.com/viral/362555-plans-first-space-nation/

Ceci, la la la...  :D

Re: [hackerspaces] [OT] Citizen applications for 'Asgardia' opened.

Sotirios Vrachas
Hello,

Thank you for your email.

I applied and forwarded it to my local hackerspace list.
I think this is a brilliant evolution for the micronation movement. From
Liberland to Asgardia and who knows whats next.

Some find the fact that AIRC is a for-profit space startup trying to
start a space nation not coincidental and a bit suspicious.

But it sure is an entertaining idea.

Cecilia Tanaka:

> Citizen applications for 'Asgardia' opened.  Mirimir, John, let's try?  The
> Earth is too mainstream for us, hahahaha!!  ;D
>
> And, of course, it will be f-ck¡ng fun running the first hackerspace in the
> space, wohooo!!!  ;D
>
> http://asgardia.space/citizenship
>
> http://airc.at/#1
>
> https://www.rt.com/viral/362555-plans-first-space-nation/
>
> Ceci, la la la...  :D

Re: [hackerspaces] [OT] Citizen applications for 'Asgardia' opened.

Cecilia Tanaka

That's the spirit, my dear!  Let's have fun, living the present, but always dreaming with the future and making these dreams come true!  :D

Some of my friends think it's a complete foolish, but I am really curious about the future.  Well, it certainly will be beautiful!  <3

Kisses and hugs from Sao Paulo, Brazil!  :D

Ceci

OT very OT: -  One of my friend's wife already said "no, you will stay here!", snif...  We love SF books!  :(

On Oct 16, 2016 5:58 PM, "Sotirios Vrachas" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

Thank you for your email.

I applied and forwarded it to my local hackerspace list.
I think this is a brilliant evolution for the micronation movement. From
Liberland to Asgardia and who knows whats next.

Some find the fact that AIRC is a for-profit space startup trying to
start a space nation not coincidental and a bit suspicious.

But it sure is an entertaining idea.

Cecilia Tanaka:
> Citizen applications for 'Asgardia' opened.  Mirimir, John, let's try?  The
> Earth is too mainstream for us, hahahaha!!  ;D
>
> And, of course, it will be f-ck¡ng fun running the first hackerspace in the
> space, wohooo!!!  ;D
>
> http://asgardia.space/citizenship
>
> http://airc.at/#1
>
> https://www.rt.com/viral/362555-plans-first-space-nation/
>
> Ceci, la la la...  :D

Re: [hackerspaces] [OT] Citizen applications for 'Asgardia' opened.

Cecilia Tanaka

A dearest friend of mine made a compilation with more links about 'Asgardia' and another sweet friend contacted them with some technical questions.  Aww, so lovely...  <3

He will share with us all the answers.  Or the eventual absence of them, uh!  :P

So let's cross the fingers and wait for the best!  To infinity...  and beyond, yay!!!  :D

Ceci

PS:  -  No lyrics, but dancing astronauts always are fun and it's a cute way of wishing you all a lovely week!  <http://youtu.be/wY-kAnvOY80>  <3

https://science.slashdot.org/story/16/10/12/2359258/scientists-unveil-plans-for-first-space-nation-asgardia-open-citizenship-applications

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12693705

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12704765

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/oct/12/will-you-become-a-citizen-of-asgardia-the-first-nation-state-in-space

Scientists and legal experts have unveiled plans for the "first nation state in space." The state is called "Asgardia" after one of the mythical worlds inhabited by the Norse gods, and it will eventually become a member of the United Nations -- complete with its own flag and anthem.

The Guardian reports: According to the project website, Asgardia "will offer an independent platform free from the constraint of a land-based country's laws. It will become a place it in orbit which is truly 'no man's land.'" Initially, it would seem, this new nation will consist of a single satellite, scheduled to be launched next year, with its citizens residing firmly on terra firma.

Speaking to the Guardian through an interpreter, the project lead Igor Ashurbeyli, said: "Physically the citizens of that nation state will be on Earth; they will be living on different countries on Earth, so they will be a citizen of their own country and at the same time they will be citizens of Asgardia." "When the number of those applications goes above 100,000 we can officially apply to the UN for the status of
state," he added.

According to the project website, "Any human living on Earth can become a citizen of Asgardia," with the site featuring a simple registration form. At the time of writing more than 1000 individuals had already signed up.

At present, the Outer Space Treaty that underpins international space law states that responsibility and liability for objects sent into space lies with the nation that launched them. But the project team claims that Asgardia will set a new precedent, shifting responsibility to the new "space nation" itself.

"The existing state agencies represent interests of their own countries and there are not so many countries in the world that have those space agencies," said Ashurbeyli. "The ultimate aim is to create a legal platform to ensure protection of planet Earth and to provide access to space technologies for those who do not have that access at the moment."