[hackerspaces] Next Engine Scanner

Andrew Roberts
Anybody using 3d scanner technology?  What are you using?

We have:
http://www.nextengine.com/

And I can't say we're particularly impressed... any others?

Andy

Re: [hackerspaces] Next Engine Scanner

Joshua Pritt
We're about to put together an ATLAS 3D scanner at Melbourne Makerspace down here in Florida.
We'll see how it turns out.

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 5:46 PM, Andrew Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:
Anybody using 3d scanner technology?  What are you using?

We have:
http://www.nextengine.com/

And I can't say we're particularly impressed... any others?

Andy

Re: [hackerspaces] Next Engine Scanner

Sector67 Team
We have an Xbox Kinect that we use for human scale things and a Next Engine scanner for small stuff.  The Next Engine requires a very good understanding of how the scanner works and how to best use it to accomplish what you want.  I learned how to use it at engineering school and through friends.  The software will crash but on a computer with a fast processor and a ton of RAM it does work.  It's definitely not a magic machine that will make solid models for you with no effort, I usually instruct our members that a first time using it will take 8+ hours, and subsequent uses will halve that number as you get better as using their software and orienting/marking/prepping models.

This was scanned in on our Next Engine on medium resolution, the loss of detail isn't from the scanner, the injection molded part was that bad:

Chris Meyer
Director
Sector67

608-241-4605