[hackerspaces] Minor usage and student memberships

[hackerspaces] Minor usage and student memberships

Bob Bownes

Just conducting an informal poll

What are various people's policies on space use by minors? Use when supervised by an adult, use when supervised by an adult member, no use at all, etc?

Followon, do you offer student discount memberships, and if so, are they available to minors? E.G. can a 14 year old get a student membership and be supervised by a non member parent? Or do you restrict student memberships to college/university students?

Last, do you offer an 'educational' membership rather than a student which is extended to students and qualified educators (teachers & professors)?

Thanks!
Bob

Re: [hackerspaces] Minor usage and student memberships

At Melbourne Makerspace (FL USA) we only allow 18 or older to become a member with a key to the space.
Minors can use the big tools only if they are supervised by a parent or guardian and just like everyone else, after they have been "checked out" by someone that knows how to use the tool properly without breaking it or hurting themselves.
We offer student memberships at a discount to those that are 18 or older and a student.
Qualified educators would also get the student discount (I would assume, we need to discuss this at the next board member meeting.)

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 4:24 PM, Bob Bownes <[hidden email]> wrote:

Just conducting an informal poll

What are various people's policies on space use by minors? Use when supervised by an adult, use when supervised by an adult member, no use at all, etc?

Followon, do you offer student discount memberships, and if so, are they available to minors? E.G. can a 14 year old get a student membership and be supervised by a non member parent? Or do you restrict student memberships to college/university students?

Last, do you offer an 'educational' membership rather than a student which is extended to students and qualified educators (teachers & professors)?

Thanks!
Bob

Re: [hackerspaces] Minor usage and student memberships

dosman
Unfortunately we have to restrict our members to 18 and over due to the requirements of our insurance company. Of the adult members who join so their kids can have more access, so far these kids have all been model “surrogate members” who I would trust more than some of our adult members - but technically they still have to have their parent with them while at our space. We may not enforce that as strongly though once we get to know them better and the kids show they are responsible. But regardless, the trust has to be earned, it’s not given automatically.

Sometimes we get parents who think it’s fine to dump their kids off on public nights and leave until the end of the night. This doesn’t happen often, but we make it clear to the parent that this will be the last time they do this when it happens; we’re not a baby-sitting service. And it’s sad to see these kids with dingbat parents who leave their kids with strangers… but that’s a separate issue.

We do have two membership classes, the full membership and a hardship membership level for students and people who can’t afford our full membership price. Per the IRS rules for 501c3’s, reduced price membership classes must have some type of reduction in benefit they receive. So our hardship membership does not come with voting privileges. These members are welcome to join our formal meetings and participate, but they don’t get to vote on any issues requiring a vote. It’s a minor issue that most people could care less about, but it fulfills this particular 501c3 obligation.

Thanks,
-dosman

On Apr 27, 2016, at 4:24 PM, Bob Bownes <[hidden email]> wrote:

Just conducting an informal poll

What are various people's policies on space use by minors? Use when supervised by an adult, use when supervised by an adult member, no use at all, etc?

Followon, do you offer student discount memberships, and if so, are they available to minors? E.G. can a 14 year old get a student membership and be supervised by a non member parent? Or do you restrict student memberships to college/university students?

Last, do you offer an 'educational' membership rather than a student which is extended to students and qualified educators (teachers & professors)?

Thanks!
Bob

Re: [hackerspaces] Minor usage and student memberships

Dennis Fink
On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 04:24:37PM -0400, Bob Bownes wrote:
> Just conducting an informal poll
>
> What are various people's policies on space use by minors? Use when
> supervised by an adult, use when supervised by an adult member, no use at
> all, etc?

Generally, we allow minors in our space, but we need the parents
approval. But also we say to parents, that we don't take any
responsibilty if the minor hurts himself. (After we explained the
possible dangers). We didn't have many minors. Also the parents were
present all the time.

> Followon, do you offer student discount memberships, and if so, are they
> available to minors? E.G. can a 14 year old get a student membership and be
> supervised by a non member parent? Or do you restrict student memberships
> to college/university students?

The "Chaos Computer Club Lëtzebuerg A.S.B.L.", which provides the
ChaosStuff hackerspace, has actually 3 different membership plans.

First of all, the standard membership for people who have a regular
income, which is fixed at 50€ per year.

Secondly, we have a student membership for pupils & students for
25€/year.

And lastly we have a "starving hacker" clause, for which a person can
apply, if he can't afford the membership, but this needs to be approved
by the administrative council.

Cheers,
Dennis Fink

> Last, do you offer an 'educational' membership rather than a student which
> is extended to students and qualified educators (teachers & professors)?
>
> Thanks!
> Bob

Re: [hackerspaces] Minor usage and student memberships

Ben Brown-2
At Kwartzlab (Ontario) the minimum age for membership was lowered to 16 a couple years ago when we had a couple teens show interest and join up. We figured if a high school is going to allow a minor to use power tools in a machine shop, then we can probably make it work also.

Younger kids are allowed in the lab with parental supervision provided the parent displays common sense. They can't become members though.

Our insurance said age didn't really matter as far as they're concerned -- our liability doesn't change no matter if it's an adult or minor who hurts themselves due to something we're negligent for.

Ben

Re: [hackerspaces] Minor usage and student memberships

\0xDynamite
> What are various people's policies on space use by minors? Use when
> supervised by an adult, use when supervised by an adult member, no use at
> all, etc?
>
> Followon, do you offer student discount memberships, and if so, are they
> available to minors? E.G. can a 14 year old get a student membership and be
> supervised by a non member parent? Or do you restrict student memberships
> to college/university students?
>
> Last, do you offer an 'educational' membership rather than a student which
> is extended to students and qualified educators (teachers & professors)?

Personally, everything rests on accepting responsibility and having
the knowledge of how to do so.  Whether that means allowing non-member
adult to supervise a minor after you've checked that that adult knows
what they're doing, or whether it means you personally supervise
because YOU know what you doing is irrelevant.  You just have to
ensure you've taken reasonable and expected efforts to ensure that the
minor is not doing something stupid.  That means you know how to
manage minors.  Just putting out directions and posting it around
dangerous equipment they might use, for example, is NOT sufficient for
a minor.

The short of it is that you have to be clued in.  If you're not clued
in, you might be able to fake it with hiring a larger number of
clueful adults hanging around, but that might not protect you either.
In fact, there is no sure way to protect you, which is why some people
get insurance.  But still better is to know what you're doing, why
you're allowing minors into your space, what they're doing at all time
and maintaining an ongoing dialog when anything changes.

\m

[hackerspaces] What do you call your "take stuff apart" nights?

Shirley Hicks
Now that we have labs that are reasonably complete, we’re looking to start regular tech exploration nights.
What do you call your take-stuff-apart events?

Shirley Hicks
Red Mountain Makers

Re: [hackerspaces] What do you call your "take stuff apart" nights?

Joshua Pritt
We've never had take stuff apart events.  Please describe this.
Do you all sit around a table and take apart old broken DVD players and stuff then sort the usable parts into organized bins?

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 2:38 PM, Shirley Hicks <[hidden email]> wrote:
Now that we have labs that are reasonably complete, we’re looking to start regular tech exploration nights.
What do you call your take-stuff-apart events?

Shirley Hicks
Red Mountain Makers

Re: [hackerspaces] What do you call your "take stuff apart" nights?

Shirley Hicks
The idea is to take a device apart, look up how it works and then look up online what the individual components can be used for in other projects. For us noobs, it’s a useful way of getting a feel of how components are used, and how they can be reused.

I’ve been pestering our more knowledgable members and they said that this is the way to start. I know that other groups have set this up as a social event (drinks, food), lay on tunes and then hack away while comparing notes.

— Shirley

On Apr 29, 2016, at 1:41 PM, Joshua Pritt <[hidden email]> wrote:

We've never had take stuff apart events.  Please describe this.
Do you all sit around a table and take apart old broken DVD players and stuff then sort the usable parts into organized bins?

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 2:38 PM, Shirley Hicks <[hidden email]> wrote:
Now that we have labs that are reasonably complete, we’re looking to start regular tech exploration nights.
What do you call your take-stuff-apart events?

Shirley Hicks
Red Mountain Makers

Re: [hackerspaces] What do you call your "take stuff apart" nights?

Chris Weiss
Arch Reactor called it "Hack Something".

Re: [hackerspaces] What do you call your "take stuff apart" nights?

John Benedetto
We haven't had such parties in our space, but have had such events as part of the local Mini Maker Faire and at a booth at other events when we have enough space for it.

One of the board members of the local MMF wanted us to start using the term "Take-Aparty", not sure what the origins are of that.  One of our members suggested "Dr. Destructo" used in connection with the pick-apart events.

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 12:38 PM, Shirley Hicks <[hidden email]> wrote:
Now that we have labs that are reasonably complete, we’re looking to start regular tech exploration nights.
What do you call your take-stuff-apart events?

Re: [hackerspaces] What do you call your "take stuff apart" nights?

Bilal Ghalib
I used to do "wreck lab" followed by "make lab" :)

On Friday, April 29, 2016, Shirley Hicks <[hidden email]> wrote:
I like “Junk Jam”.

— Shirley