[hackerspaces] Member and event management systems

[hackerspaces] Member and event management systems

Dominic Canare
It's been a little while since we talked about this, and I wonder if new information or tools are available.

What are people using to manage their members, payments, equipment authorizations, events and signups, donations, etc?

We've been using WildApricot for the past few years. It does many things, but all of them are a little lacking. We have a bunch of work-arounds and custom tools built around their API's to make it easier for our administrators, but it's become a bit cumbersome to maintain, and the price keeps going up.

Looking for suggestions!

Dominic Canare
Immediate Past President, MakeICT

Re: [hackerspaces] Member and event management systems

Joshua Pritt
Melbourne Makerspace has been using the open source Seltzer (built at another hackerspace!) specifically for running 'spaces with little to no training and volunteer time.
I am currently trying to build a member photo module that lets other members pull up the photos of a selected member since we have so many members now it's hard to remember their names!

I wrote some PHP that queries the Seltzer database that is called from a Python script I wrote that runs on a raspberry Pi with an RFID scanner we use for our front door lock.
It's been working great for over a year now!

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 8:15 PM, Matthew "mirage335" Hines <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Edward L Platt-3
What is the National Organization of Makers?

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 8:46 PM, Joshua Pritt <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Edward L. Platt
PhD student, University of Michigan School of Information
KC1DYK

Tips for stopping email overload: https://hbr.org/2012/02/stop-email-overload-1

This digital electronic mail message was sent from my general-purpose desktop personal computing machine.  Please forgive any overly-verbose, long-winded, rambling prose.

Re: [hackerspaces] Member and event management systems

Matthew "mirage335" Hines

National Organization of Makers is the name increasingly adopted by the large group of Makerspace leaders continuing to collaborate following the recent White House sponsored meeting, as well as a possible future conference with a similar agenda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Didwk6Td7M

On 09/09/16 09:48 PM, Edward L Platt wrote:
[...]

Derek Hubbard
I'm part of a group developing a product primarily geared toward access control, but with a membership database component and the ability to tie into all sorts of existing membership databases. Our end goal is to run things with a SaaS business model, but hackerspaces have a special place for me, so I'd imagine some things could be worked out. The hardware is currently based on the Raspberry Pi and I believe that we'll continue to support DIYers who want to build their own panels even once we're at the stage of manufacturing our own boards.

Give me a little time, we'll have a great solution.

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 8:48 PM, Edward L Platt <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

For " Makerspace founders, executives and board members," I already technically have permission to send an invite. For others, the current rules require someone to post info about that person, and obtain two votes from other members of the Slack channel.

In practice, I think this process is still subject to change, and probably exists mostly to encourage positive contributions.

So, if you want to join, please consider sending some info about yourself to me, the HacDC BoD, or any other willing participant you can find.

On 09/09/16 10:01 PM, Derek H wrote:
[...]

It's worth mentioning that several of us worked on developing a free/open-source system to do this called Seltzer, with mixed success. It never made it to 1.0, but has been successfully used at a number of spaces. The project is currently maintenance-only, but I do plan to devote more effort to decentralized free/open software for organizing communities at some point.

It's a hard problem, but mostly for non-technical reasons. Some challenges we found that might not be obvious:

1. It's not a sexy topic, so it's hard to attract volunteers, and it's hard to raise money.

2. On a related note, member management systems are long-term projects, which means whatever stack you build the technology on, it will spend most of it's life cycle being "old, boring" technology.

3. Everyone does things differently. One approach is to build a tool that can be configured to do anything (CiviCRM is a good example) but the downside is that it gets very complicated and difficult to use. Another approach is to make a lightweight core that can be extended (we tried this with Seltzer).

4. It's difficult to build collaborations across spaces. Different spaces stumble across or create their own solutions, which makes pooling resources difficult.

Happy hacking,
Ed

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 10:01 PM, Derek H <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Altin Ukshini

I've started one here: https://github.com/altinukshini/hackerspacecrm
But it'll take some time to be useful. I'll be working on it for another year for sure as it's also a school project and we need for Prishtina Hackerspace too (we use Seltzer)

Cheers,
Altin

Sent from my phone. Please excuse any typos.

On Sep 10, 2016 4:30 AM, "Edward L Platt" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Can we move questions/discussion about National Organization of Makers to a separate thread?

Our primary needs including handling automatic recurring dues payments and event registrations and payments - preferably with more options than PayPal, as we have a number of members who refuse to use it or it's problematic. The system needs to supports event discounts for active members and allows monthly-addons for dues (such as an additional monthly donation, locker rentals, etc).

We looked at Seltzer in the past, but I don't think it had any support for events and RSVP's. Looks like that's still the case?

On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 8:57 AM, bownes <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Dave Rowntree
We use GoCardless (but support bank standing orders too, begrudgingly) to handle recurring payments for dues, and also ad-hoc payments for things (like training fees) at So Make It. They are very friendly with the fees, and may well give you a zero fee as an introduction. They handle all that nasty card processing stuff, and money just appears in our bank account.

You can inspect/fork our members area system, with all it's integrations here:

although a few guys seems to be rebuilding it to make it more applicable to hackerspaces other our own:

I guess it might be of interest to some.

Dave.

On 10 September 2016 at 22:07, Edward L Platt <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dave Rowntree,
Director of Sobuildit Limited
Trustee of Southampton Makerspace
@rowntree_dave

Re: [hackerspaces] Member and event management systems

Dominic Canare
This is helpful - thanks!

It looks like a complete solution doesn't exist for all of our needs. We'll be examining the options (which include contributing back code to some of the open source projects) to find what fits our members, budget, and capacity to build/support.

If anyone else is using something - even if it's incomplete - that hasn't been mentioned yet, please share!