[hackerspaces] Mastodon?

123

[hackerspaces] Mastodon?

Ijon
Is your hackerspace already on mastodon? Are you?

c-base just joined the platform. Follow c-base:

[hidden email]

Maybe consider creating an account for your hackerspace, so we get more
cool hackerspace content on that new, decentral, opensource and ad-free
social network.

Re: [hackerspaces] Mastodon?

Matt Joyce
mastodon is basically written in malware.

gnu social is at least a step up at PHP ( never thought i'd say that ).

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Ijon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is your hackerspace already on mastodon? Are you?

c-base just joined the platform. Follow c-base:

[hidden email]

Maybe consider creating an account for your hackerspace, so we get more
cool hackerspace content on that new, decentral, opensource and ad-free
social network.

Re: [hackerspaces] Mastodon?

Christopher Agocs
/me rolls eyes at Matt

I've been trying to sit down and focus long enough to set up at Mastodon node at SSH:C. I think organizations _running_ their own nodes is more important than organizations being on other nodes.

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 9:29 AM, Matt Joyce <[hidden email]> wrote:
mastodon is basically written in malware.

gnu social is at least a step up at PHP ( never thought i'd say that ).

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Ijon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is your hackerspace already on mastodon? Are you?

c-base just joined the platform. Follow c-base:

[hidden email]

Maybe consider creating an account for your hackerspace, so we get more
cool hackerspace content on that new, decentral, opensource and ad-free
social network.

Re: [hackerspaces] Mastodon?

Chris Weiss
On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 9:30 AM Matt Joyce <[hidden email]> wrote:
mastodon is basically written in malware.

*citation needed

where I do read the justification of this statement?  search results are inconclusive.

Re: [hackerspaces] Mastodon?

Ijon
This thread is hilarious. so cliché.

first: something new comes up.
then: someone finds something technological to complain about it
then: emailthread ensues
then: someone compares the new thing to either hitler or aids.

go on...

On 17.04.2017 16:38, Matt Joyce wrote:

> Technology matters.  Give a hoot, don't pollute your systems with
> internet aids.
>
> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:36 AM, Christopher Agocs <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     "Bluh, node is scary"
>
>     On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 9:35 AM, Matt Joyce <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>         I think people not running node.js is far more important than
>         your social networking site of the week.
>
>         On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:33 AM, Christopher Agocs
>
>             /me rolls eyes at Matt
>
>             I've been trying to sit down and focus long enough to set up
>             at Mastodon node at SSH:C. I think organizations _running_
>             their own nodes is more important than organizations being
>             on other nodes.
>
>             On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 9:29 AM, Matt Joyce
>             <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>                 mastodon is basically written in malware.
>
>                 gnu social is at least a step up at PHP ( never thought
>                 i'd say that ).
>
>                 On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Ijon <[hidden email]
>                 <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>                     Is your hackerspace already on mastodon? Are you?
>
>                     c-base just joined the platform. Follow c-base:
>
>                     [hidden email]
>
>                     Maybe consider creating an account for your
>                     hackerspace, so we get more
>                     cool hackerspace content on that new, decentral,
>                     opensource and ad-free
>                     social network.

Re: [hackerspaces] Mastodon?

Ijon
i think the metaphor wasnt about sex, but rather about drugs. why did
you not get that?

On 17.04.2017 16:45, Matt Joyce wrote:

> node isn't sex... it's impaling yourself on a 15th century pike in your
> front lawn to become a symbol to others of ottoman strength.
>
> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:43 AM, Christopher Agocs <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Abstinence-only node education simply doesn't work. People are going
>     to use node whether we like it or not. We need to teach them to use
>     node safely by vendoring dependencies and running software in the
>     least privileged state possible.
>
>     On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 9:38 AM, Matt Joyce <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>         Technology matters.  Give a hoot, don't pollute your systems
>         with internet aids.
>
>         On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:36 AM, Christopher Agocs
>
>             "Bluh, node is scary"
>
>             On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 9:35 AM, Matt Joyce
>             <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>                 I think people not running node.js is far more important
>                 than your social networking site of the week.
>
>                 On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:33 AM, Christopher Agocs
>                 <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>                     /me rolls eyes at Matt
>
>                     I've been trying to sit down and focus long enough
>                     to set up at Mastodon node at SSH:C. I think
>                     organizations _running_ their own nodes is more
>                     important than organizations being on other nodes.
>
>                     On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 9:29 AM, Matt Joyce
>                     <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>                     wrote:
>
>                         mastodon is basically written in malware.
>
>                         gnu social is at least a step up at PHP ( never
>                         thought i'd say that ).
>
>                         On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Ijon
>                         <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>                             Is your hackerspace already on mastodon? Are
>                             you?
>
>                             c-base just joined the platform. Follow c-base:
>
>                             [hidden email]
>
>                             Maybe consider creating an account for your
>                             hackerspace, so we get more
>                             cool hackerspace content on that new,
>                             decentral, opensource and ad-free
>                             social network.

Re: [hackerspaces] Mastodon?

Matt Joyce
well i made an aids reference, so the implied statement had an equivalency to that.

i mean i grant you needle sharing is a concern but it's not really what is most closely associated with STDs.  If it was they might be called NTDs.

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:47 AM, Ijon <[hidden email]> wrote:
i think the metaphor wasnt about sex, but rather about drugs. why did
you not get that?

On 17.04.2017 16:45, Matt Joyce wrote:
> node isn't sex... it's impaling yourself on a 15th century pike in your
> front lawn to become a symbol to others of ottoman strength.
>
> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:43 AM, Christopher Agocs <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Abstinence-only node education simply doesn't work. People are going
>     to use node whether we like it or not. We need to teach them to use
>     node safely by vendoring dependencies and running software in the
>     least privileged state possible.
>
>     On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 9:38 AM, Matt Joyce <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>         Technology matters.  Give a hoot, don't pollute your systems
>         with internet aids.
>
>         On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:36 AM, Christopher Agocs
>         <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>             "Bluh, node is scary"
>
>             On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 9:35 AM, Matt Joyce
>             <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>                 I think people not running node.js is far more important
>                 than your social networking site of the week.
>
>                 On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:33 AM, Christopher Agocs
>                 <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>                     /me rolls eyes at Matt
>
>                     I've been trying to sit down and focus long enough
>                     to set up at Mastodon node at SSH:C. I think
>                     organizations _running_ their own nodes is more
>                     important than organizations being on other nodes.
>
>                     On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 9:29 AM, Matt Joyce
>                     <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>                     wrote:
>
>                         mastodon is basically written in malware.
>
>                         gnu social is at least a step up at PHP ( never
>                         thought i'd say that ).
>
>                         On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Ijon
>                         <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>                             Is your hackerspace already on mastodon? Are
>                             you?
>
>                             c-base just joined the platform. Follow c-base:
>
>                             [hidden email]
>
>                             Maybe consider creating an account for your
>                             hackerspace, so we get more
>                             cool hackerspace content on that new,
>                             decentral, opensource and ad-free
>                             social network.

Re: [hackerspaces] Mastodon?

Ijon
see? the problem is not aids, the problem starts, when everyone starts
to use cloud-based needles without checking wether they have an NTD or not.

On 17.04.2017 16:50, Matt Joyce wrote:

> [...]
>     >                 <mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     >
>      http://lists.hackerspaces.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >             _______________________________________________
>     >             Discuss mailing list
>     >             [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     >             <mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>     >             http://lists.hackerspaces.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     >         _______________________________________________
>     >         Discuss mailing list
>     >         [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: [hackerspaces] Mastodon?

I wonder if this Hackerspaces General Discussion list isn't just the best way for any one hackerspace to contact other hackerspaces?
Can we leverage the Space API to get a list of all the spaces' contact info in one nice directory to quickly contact all or some specific hackerspaces at once to ask questions or get help with a project, etc.?
What good does something like signing up all hackerspaces to Mastodon do for us?
Just curious because I know it's secure/encrypted, etc.

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:38 AM, Matt Joyce <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Adam Mayer
Matt, I'm going to gouge out my own eyeballs, put them in a bingo cage, wire it to a five year old shitty arduino clone, and have it roll my eyes at you every time you write an email. And I'm going to write the backend in Node.

([hidden email] or [hidden email] for anyone out there using this crazy thing)

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:50 AM, Matt Joyce <[hidden email]> wrote:
well i made an aids reference, so the implied statement had an equivalency to that.

i mean i grant you needle sharing is a concern but it's not really what is most closely associated with STDs.  If it was they might be called NTDs.

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:47 AM, Ijon <[hidden email]> wrote:
i think the metaphor wasnt about sex, but rather about drugs. why did
you not get that?

On 17.04.2017 16:45, Matt Joyce wrote:
> node isn't sex... it's impaling yourself on a 15th century pike in your
> front lawn to become a symbol to others of ottoman strength.
>
> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:43 AM, Christopher Agocs <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Abstinence-only node education simply doesn't work. People are going
>     to use node whether we like it or not. We need to teach them to use
>     node safely by vendoring dependencies and running software in the
>     least privileged state possible.
>
>     On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 9:38 AM, Matt Joyce <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>         Technology matters.  Give a hoot, don't pollute your systems
>         with internet aids.
>
>         On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:36 AM, Christopher Agocs
>         <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>             "Bluh, node is scary"
>
>             On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 9:35 AM, Matt Joyce
>             <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>                 I think people not running node.js is far more important
>                 than your social networking site of the week.
>
>                 On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:33 AM, Christopher Agocs
>                 <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>                     /me rolls eyes at Matt
>
>                     I've been trying to sit down and focus long enough
>                     to set up at Mastodon node at SSH:C. I think
>                     organizations _running_ their own nodes is more
>                     important than organizations being on other nodes.
>
>                     On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 9:29 AM, Matt Joyce
>                     <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>                     wrote:
>
>                         mastodon is basically written in malware.
>
>                         gnu social is at least a step up at PHP ( never
>                         thought i'd say that ).
>
>                         On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Ijon
>                         <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>                             Is your hackerspace already on mastodon? Are
>                             you?
>
>                             c-base just joined the platform. Follow c-base:
>
>                             [hidden email]
>
>                             Maybe consider creating an account for your
>                             hackerspace, so we get more
>                             cool hackerspace content on that new,
>                             decentral, opensource and ad-free
>                             social network.

Re: [hackerspaces] Mastodon?

Ijon
If you want Hackerspaces to stay in theire own little filterbubble, then
yes, you are right.

I believe that the idea of an open space for everyone to drop in, to
better themselves, to learn, develop, educate themselves or others, to
start great projects and to make this world a better place is so
important, that we should not stay in our own filterbubble and instead
carry our message throughout the internet, using whatever technology is
used by others that are not in our filterbubble.

this statement explicitly encourages to use any and all social networks,
regardless of "who owns it".

now that there seems to be (yet another) alternative out there that is
more in line with our values around opensource, about decentralization,
i think we should embrace it and welcome it.

On 17.04.2017 16:54, Joshua Pritt wrote:
> I wonder if this Hackerspaces General Discussion list isn't just the
> best way for any one hackerspace to contact other hackerspaces?
> Can we leverage the Space API to get a list of all the spaces' contact
> info in one nice directory to quickly contact all or some specific
> hackerspaces at once to ask questions or get help with a project, etc.?
> What good does something like signing up all hackerspaces to Mastodon do
> for us?
> Just curious because I know it's secure/encrypted, etc.

Re: [hackerspaces] Mastodon?

Matt Joyce
Most of the TOS' on mastodon are about as open are Erodogan's Turkey.  So that's probably an unlikely scenario.

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 11:00 AM, Ijon <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you want Hackerspaces to stay in theire own little filterbubble, then
yes, you are right.

I believe that the idea of an open space for everyone to drop in, to
better themselves, to learn, develop, educate themselves or others, to
start great projects and to make this world a better place is so
important, that we should not stay in our own filterbubble and instead
carry our message throughout the internet, using whatever technology is
used by others that are not in our filterbubble.

this statement explicitly encourages to use any and all social networks,
regardless of "who owns it".

now that there seems to be (yet another) alternative out there that is
more in line with our values around opensource, about decentralization,
i think we should embrace it and welcome it.

On 17.04.2017 16:54, Joshua Pritt wrote:
> I wonder if this Hackerspaces General Discussion list isn't just the
> best way for any one hackerspace to contact other hackerspaces?
> Can we leverage the Space API to get a list of all the spaces' contact
> info in one nice directory to quickly contact all or some specific
> hackerspaces at once to ask questions or get help with a project, etc.?
> What good does something like signing up all hackerspaces to Mastodon do
> for us?
> Just curious because I know it's secure/encrypted, etc.

Re: [hackerspaces] Mastodon?

Ijon
matt, you have no clue what i am writing about you on mastodon. :-D

and this will stay this way, because, as you said, node is aids and you
sure dont want to infect yourself, isnt it?

On 17.04.2017 17:06, Matt Joyce wrote:

> Most of the TOS' on mastodon are about as open are Erodogan's Turkey.
> So that's probably an unlikely scenario.
>

> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 11:00 AM, Ijon <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     If you want Hackerspaces to stay in theire own little filterbubble, then
>     yes, you are right.
>
>     I believe that the idea of an open space for everyone to drop in, to
>     better themselves, to learn, develop, educate themselves or others, to
>     start great projects and to make this world a better place is so
>     important, that we should not stay in our own filterbubble and instead
>     carry our message throughout the internet, using whatever technology is
>     used by others that are not in our filterbubble.
>
>     this statement explicitly encourages to use any and all social networks,
>     regardless of "who owns it".
>
>     now that there seems to be (yet another) alternative out there that is
>     more in line with our values around opensource, about decentralization,
>     i think we should embrace it and welcome it.
>
>     On 17.04.2017 16:54, Joshua Pritt wrote:
>     > I wonder if this Hackerspaces General Discussion list isn't just the
>     > best way for any one hackerspace to contact other hackerspaces?
>     > Can we leverage the Space API to get a list of all the spaces' contact
>     > info in one nice directory to quickly contact all or some specific
>     > hackerspaces at once to ask questions or get help with a project, etc.?
>     > What good does something like signing up all hackerspaces to Mastodon do
>     > for us?
>     > Just curious because I know it's secure/encrypted, etc.

Re: [hackerspaces] Mastodon?

Wesley Ellis
I'd like to point out that mastadon is not in fact written in node, but in ruby: https://github.com/tootsuite/mastodon

Wesley Ellis

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Ijon <[hidden email]> wrote:
matt, you have no clue what i am writing about you on mastodon. :-D

and this will stay this way, because, as you said, node is aids and you
sure dont want to infect yourself, isnt it?

On 17.04.2017 17:06, Matt Joyce wrote:
> Most of the TOS' on mastodon are about as open are Erodogan's Turkey.
> So that's probably an unlikely scenario.
>

> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 11:00 AM, Ijon <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     If you want Hackerspaces to stay in theire own little filterbubble, then
>     yes, you are right.
>
>     I believe that the idea of an open space for everyone to drop in, to
>     better themselves, to learn, develop, educate themselves or others, to
>     start great projects and to make this world a better place is so
>     important, that we should not stay in our own filterbubble and instead
>     carry our message throughout the internet, using whatever technology is
>     used by others that are not in our filterbubble.
>
>     this statement explicitly encourages to use any and all social networks,
>     regardless of "who owns it".
>
>     now that there seems to be (yet another) alternative out there that is
>     more in line with our values around opensource, about decentralization,
>     i think we should embrace it and welcome it.
>
>     On 17.04.2017 16:54, Joshua Pritt wrote:
>     > I wonder if this Hackerspaces General Discussion list isn't just the
>     > best way for any one hackerspace to contact other hackerspaces?
>     > Can we leverage the Space API to get a list of all the spaces' contact
>     > info in one nice directory to quickly contact all or some specific
>     > hackerspaces at once to ask questions or get help with a project, etc.?
>     > What good does something like signing up all hackerspaces to Mastodon do
>     > for us?
>     > Just curious because I know it's secure/encrypted, etc.

Re: [hackerspaces] Mastodon?

Matt Joyce
ruby and node... because node wasn't bad enough they bolted ruby onto it to make it somehow worse.