[hackerspaces] Machines list - buying resources !

[hackerspaces] Machines list - buying resources !

Taher Alblowe

Dear all,

I am looking for a good resource that helps me select the right brands and models with the right budget for our new makerspace.

Unfortunately it is not available in Saudi so I have to check online and decide which are best to buy L

Thanks J

Taher

Re: [hackerspaces] Machines list - buying resources !

Arclight
Taher,

I would start by asking: What do you wish to make or teach classes in?
 Is there industry (such as Petroluem) near you that has machinists,
CAD operators, other skilled people that can offer to teach?  Machines
aren't helpful without knowledge and instruction.

Arclight

On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 1:15 PM, Taher Alblowe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>

> I am looking for a good resource that helps me select the right brands and
> models with the right budget for our new makerspace.
>

> Unfortunately it is not available in Saudi so I have to check online and
> decide which are best to buy L
>

> Thanks J
>
> Taher

Re: [hackerspaces] Machines list - buying resources !

Taher Alblowe
Thanks for your kind response :)

Mainly our members can teach cnc ,laser cutter, milling, welding, waterjet and all related tools.

Kind regards,
Taher Alblowe

I would start by asking: What do you wish to make or teach classes in?
Is there industry (such as Petroluem) near you that has machinists,
CAD operators, other skilled people that can offer to teach?  Machines
aren't helpful without knowledge and instruction.

Arclight

On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 1:15 PM, Taher Alblowe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>

> I am looking for a good resource that helps me select the right brands and
> models with the right budget for our new makerspace.
>

> Unfortunately it is not available in Saudi so I have to check online and
> decide which are best to buy L
>

> Thanks J
>
> Taher

I would start by asking: What do you wish to make or teach classes in?
Is there industry (such as Petroluem) near you that has machinists,
CAD operators, other skilled people that can offer to teach?  Machines
aren't helpful without knowledge and instruction.

Arclight

On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 1:15 PM, Taher Alblowe [hidden email] wrote:
> Dear all,
>

> I am looking for a good resource that helps me select the right brands and
> models with the right budget for our new makerspace.
>

> Unfortunately it is not available in Saudi so I have to check online and
> decide which are best to buy L
>

> Thanks J
>
> Taher

Re: [hackerspaces] Machines list - buying resources !

Shirley Hicks
Good morning Taner,

Unfortunately, I don’t think that any one person or organization has developed such a list. It would be an interesting (and very useful) set of notes to develop, which would take time and a lot of talking and probing people to get the information out. If you find one, could you share with this list? I would love to find a Consumer Reports (US consumer’s product review magazine and website) equivalent for shop tools!

My suggestions would be to go through some of the larger makerspace and hackerspace’s equipment lists, and look to see what models of equipment that they are working with, then get in touch with lab leads or space leadership and find out what their opinions of the equipment are.

I would suggest:
Dallas Hackerspace - https://dallasmakerspace.org/ (one of the largest and most successful makerspaces in NorAm)
Artist’s Asylum - https://artisansasylum.com/
Georgia Tech’s Invention Studio - http://inventionstudio.gatech.edu/ - has the combination of raw beginners and experienced student leads that you’re likely to be dealing with.

Also, talk to your own membership and find out what their experiences have been with this equipment elsewhere in professional lives. It will be easier if multiple people are working on this, preferably ones with some experience using the tools.

Makerspace tools have some different requirements than manufacturing production tools in that they should have simpler control systems, and some versatility of use (not dedicated to doing one specific task really really well, as most industrial versions of the tools will be) but need more robustness than the consumer version of tools coming on the market. I would look at design studio/small workshop versions of machines - ones designed for prototyping and small lot manufacturing. That should give you the combination of robustness (for multiple users) and setup versatility

Also allow for the fact that you will probably not make perfect selections and that you should plan for some replacement eighteen months to three years out. (just build it into your financial model (write down the value over time) and plan for it). Some equipment will just wear out - and others won’t be best fits and should be either hacked or sold off. Also, it’s useful to work with entry-level models while you get a sense of how your membership will use the tools.

If you are importing, you have the option of looking for goods in multiple markets, from Europe to the Americas.

Our makerspace in Birmingham, AL is currently researching our first big tool acquisitions - we would be willing to share notes as we go if you’d care to exchange email addresses.

On a tangential note - there’s been a lot written on-line regarding the design and equipping of makerspace for children and teens in libraries and community centers. In part this is because the people who are doing it are having to learn themselves. (https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Evaluations+of+shop+tools+for+makerspaces returns the search I just did) http://makerpd.weebly.com/2-up-and-running.html has links to some great studies with details as to how different groups made their tool selections.

Shirley Hicks
Red Mountain Makers
Birmingham, AL

On 4/30/16 4:37 PM, Taher Allow wrote:
Thanks for your kind response :)

Mainly our members can teach cnc ,laser cutter, milling, welding, waterjet and all related tools.

Kind regards,
Taher Alblowe

I would start by asking: What do you wish to make or teach classes in?
Is there industry (such as Petroluem) near you that has machinists,
CAD operators, other skilled people that can offer to teach?  Machines
aren't helpful without knowledge and instruction.

Arclight

On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 1:15 PM, Taher Alblowe [hidden email] wrote:
> Dear all,
>

> I am looking for a good resource that helps me select the right brands and
> models with the right budget for our new makerspace.
>

> Unfortunately it is not available in Saudi so I have to check online and
> decide which are best to buy L
>

> Thanks J
>
> Taher

Re: [hackerspaces] Machines list - buying resources !

Pete Prodoehl

Milwaukee Makerspace has a long list of equipment and tools on their wiki:

    http://wiki.milwaukeemakerspace.org/equipment

Pete

On 5/1/16 8:56 AM, Shirley Hicks wrote:
> [...]

Kind regards,
Taher Alblowe

I would start by asking: What do you wish to make or teach classes in?
Is there industry (such as Petroluem) near you that has machinists,
CAD operators, other skilled people that can offer to teach?  Machines
aren't helpful without knowledge and instruction.

Arclight

On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 1:15 PM, Taher Alblowe [hidden email] wrote:
> Dear all,
>

> I am looking for a good resource that helps me select the right brands and
> models with the right budget for our new makerspace.
>

> Unfortunately it is not available in Saudi so I have to check online and
> decide which are best to buy L
>

> Thanks J
>
> Taher

Re: [hackerspaces] Machines list - buying resources !

I would start any makerspace project with the basics.  Purchase some
long, folding tables and comfortable chairs.  These can be used for
anything from sewing nights to robotics classes.  Also get some nice
workbenches.  You can make or buy these. If money is no problem, these
are very nice:

http://www.iacindustries.com/electronic-assembly-workbenches/

If money is a problem, make your own.  Here is a good article on
setting up an electronics/light prototyping area:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how-to/g988/build-your-ultimate-electronics-workstation/

Also get storage racks and bins for materials and projects and stuff
to build out a small kitchen/refreshment area.

Get hand tools such as:

-Scissors
-Hot glue guns
-Socket set - 1/4, 3/8, 1/2" drive.  The USA Sears Craftsman brand is
good, and I'm sure there are Equrope/Middle East brands that are also
good
-Combination wrench set
-Screwdrivers - Quality, small Wiha screwdrivers from Germany, any
good screwdriver for the larger sizes
-Cordless drill, cordless impact driver
-Cordless reciprocating saw
-Files
-Hacksaws
-Wood tools as needed
-Sewing machine

Anyone who works in industry at your space should be able to tel you
what they use at work and where they order stuff from.

Once you've covered the basics, then consider what direction you want to go:

-Dirty area with MIG welder, plasma torch, horizontal bandsaw
-Clean machining area with a small lathe and mill (Small manual
machines with digital read outs to start)
-Tooling for the above

Small, not-so-powerful machines are better for a public space.  A 10
horsepower CNC lathe is awesome if you need to turn out oil well
tools, but it's going to require more skill than most people have to
use it properly, and it can kill a person in seconds.  A small 1/2HP
manual machine will usually stop turning if you do something stupid to
it.

Arclight