[hackerspaces] List of must haves for Workshop Areas | Wood & Metal

[hackerspaces] List of must haves for Workshop Areas | Wood & Metal

Altin Ukshini
Hey everyone,

Does anyone have a list of must have tools (hand tools, power tools etc) for wood and metalworking areas for a Hackerspace?
I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Altin

__

Altin Ukshini
Prishtina Hackerspace
Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova (FLOSSK)

+386 (0) 49 199 992 | altinukshini.wordpress.com

PRNHS: [hidden email] | www.prishtinahackerspace.org | Manifesto
FLOSSK: [hidden email] | www.flossk.org

Re: [hackerspaces] List of must haves for Workshop Areas | Wood & Metal

I can tell you what gets used the most at Melbourne Makerspace:
Metal tools:
Metal Lathe, Metal Mill with vice, band saw, angle grinder, bench grinder / polisher, drill press, center punch for starting drill holes, riveter and lots of rivets, various sizes and shapes of hammers, a good anvil even if small, table vice.

Wood tools:
Wooden hammer (hammer actually made from wood), band saw, table saw, scroll saw and/or jig saw, chop saw, radial arm saw, drill press, table sander, palm sander, table vice, hammers, nails, screws, screwdrivers, cordless drill/screwdriver, level, carpenter's square, speed square, marking gauge, sandpaper (various sheets of many different grit numbers), and either two cordless drills or a quick switch bit that lets you change between your pilot hole drill bit and screwdriver bit very quickly without dealing with the chuck every time.

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 11:26 AM, Altin Ukshini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey everyone,

Does anyone have a list of must have tools (hand tools, power tools etc) for wood and metalworking areas for a Hackerspace?
I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Altin

__

Altin Ukshini
Prishtina Hackerspace
Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova (FLOSSK)

PRNHS: [hidden email] | www.prishtinahackerspace.org | Manifesto
FLOSSK: [hidden email] | www.flossk.org

Re: [hackerspaces] List of must haves for Workshop Areas | Wood & Metal

pinoaffe
Is the idea to start a collection of tools from scratch or to look
whether you're missing anything in a preexisting collection? I feel like
this list is quite big, maybe even too big to sensibly buy in one go.

Furthermore, if you have a bit of an eye for tools, you can get really
good old ones for cheap at flea markets, second hand shops and garage
sales(though you'll have to sharpen them and refurbish them a bit).

In my experience this works really good for chisels, gouges and planes
(since one can easily sharpen them).
Sharpening saws and the like on the other hand is an art by itself - a
new saw will most probably give you way better results.

Blessings,
Pino

On 2017-04-05 17:26, Altin Ukshini wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> Does anyone have a list of must have tools (hand tools, power tools
> etc) for wood and metalworking areas for a Hackerspace?
>
> The best list I could find so far was this one:
> http://makered.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Makerspace-High-School-Makerspace-Tools-And-Materials-April-2012.pdf
>
> I'd appreciate any help!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Altin
>
> __
>
> ALTIN UKSHINI
>
> Prishtina Hackerspace
> Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova (FLOSSK)
>
> +386 (0) 49 199 992 | altinukshini.wordpress.com [1]
> PRNHS: [hidden email] | www.prishtinahackerspace.org
> [2] | Manifesto [3]
> FLOSSK: [hidden email] | www.flossk.org [4]
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] http://altinukshini.wordpress.com
> [2] http://www.prishtinahackerspace.org
> [3] http://wiki.prishtinahackerspace.org/wiki/The_Hackerspace_Manifesto
> [4] http://www.flossk.org

Re: [hackerspaces] List of must haves for Workshop Areas | Wood & Metal

dosman
The original list is fairly comprehensive. That being said, documentation is always good to have and often overlooked. Workshop signage can go a long way to empowering people to work on their own.

A good fraction to decimal chart (1/32” steps through 1”)
Drill & tapping chart (including both imperial and metric)
Oiling charts for machine tools (lathes, mills, etc)
For lathes, things like cutting tool grinding references, etc.

If you keep machine manuals on your wiki, a sign explaining this can make life easier when something breaks (like a bandsaw blade). Include both a QR code and a tiny url for the smart-phone-impaired.

Laminated signs with overviews on how to use more complex tools (welders, machine tools, laser cutter, etc). This is not a substitute for training on a machine, but years after taking a class someone can get back in the saddle with this kind of documentation posted. Just knowing what gas flow setting to use as a starting point on a welder can make a huge difference to someone who just wants to use the mig machine once a year. Some might make the argument that if someone doesn’t know this off-hand they shouldn’t use the tool. But then the only people using the tool will be the person who brought it in and maby 1 person who did a big project with it. And in that case why keep it in the space?

For a workshop that gets rearranged often and/or a place where walls are covered in tools, I find that using foam-core board/poster board is very helpful. Tape your posters to this rather than attaching them directly to the wall. Also, it’s easier to pull the posters down close for reference charts and such. You can also wrap the board in plastic wrap or put the papers in plastic paper protectors to keep them from getting as messed up/greasy over time. It’s not like we can’t print more, but no one ever does so make them last as long as possible.

http://bloominglabs.org/index.php/Category:Signage

Thanks,
-dosman

> On Apr 5, 2017, at 1:51 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Hi,
> Is the idea to start a collection of tools from scratch or to look whether you're missing anything in a preexisting collection? I feel like this list is quite big, maybe even too big to sensibly buy in one go.
>
> Furthermore, if you have a bit of an eye for tools, you can get really good old ones for cheap at flea markets, second hand shops and garage sales(though you'll have to sharpen them and refurbish them a bit).
>
> In my experience this works really good for chisels, gouges and planes (since one can easily sharpen them).
> Sharpening saws and the like on the other hand is an art by itself - a new saw will most probably give you way better results.
>
> Blessings,
> Pino
>
> On 2017-04-05 17:26, Altin Ukshini wrote:
>> Hey everyone,
>> Does anyone have a list of must have tools (hand tools, power tools
>> etc) for wood and metalworking areas for a Hackerspace?
>> The best list I could find so far was this one:
>> http://makered.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Makerspace-High-School-Makerspace-Tools-And-Materials-April-2012.pdf
>> I'd appreciate any help!
>> Thanks,
>> Altin
>> __
>> ALTIN UKSHINI
>> Prishtina Hackerspace
>> Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova (FLOSSK)
>> +386 (0) 49 199 992 | altinukshini.wordpress.com [1]
>> PRNHS: [hidden email] | www.prishtinahackerspace.org
>> [2] | Manifesto [3]
>> FLOSSK: [hidden email] | www.flossk.org [4]
>> Links:
>> ------
>> [1] http://altinukshini.wordpress.com
>> [2] http://www.prishtinahackerspace.org
>> [3] http://wiki.prishtinahackerspace.org/wiki/The_Hackerspace_Manifesto
>> [4] http://www.flossk.org

Re: [hackerspaces] List of must haves for Workshop Areas | Wood & Metal

Altin Ukshini
Thank you very much for your input - it's very helpful indeed!

Yes we're looking forward to buying these tools from scratch (brand new ones) with hopefully a budget around 5-6k and on the way renovate part of our hackerspace for this Workshop area as well.

Labeling is definitely a thing we're looking forward as @dosman suggested, we've already done something like that with QRcodes before (outdated example: http://wiki.prishtinahackerspace.org/wiki/Equipment/HP_LaserJet). Thanks for the Signage link!

All the best,
Altin

__