[hackerspaces] Irving Texas student suspended for bringing a circuitry-control clock project to school

12

[hackerspaces] Irving Texas student suspended for bringing a circuitry-control clock project to school

Shirley Hicks

On Sep 15, 2015, at 11:37 PM, Shirley Hicks <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey everyone,

Are there any hackers on the list who are also US teachers who would care to comment on how to best word an email lending support to a high school student who has been suspended for three days for bringing a circuit board clock project to school? I think that this is an overreaction by the school leadership and the local police due to their not understanding electronic engineering and general hacking. I don’t want to do a social media pile on; I would rather helpful and educational while pointing out how they’ve got this very, very, wrong. FWIW - I checked a map - Irving is a Dallas suburb.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/northwest-dallas-county/headlines/20150915-irving-9th-grader-arrested-after-taking-homemade-clock-to-school.ece

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irving_Independent_School_District

Thanks!

Shirley Hicks
Secretary/Business Admin/Programmer/Maker
Red Mountain Makers

Re: [hackerspaces] Irving Texas student suspended for bringing a circuitry-control clock project to school

David Francos
I still can't comprehend how a child with a clock can be detained, thrown in a prision cell for a few hours, and then still not being allowed to go back to school.

How about supporting the child himself?
Are there any local hackerspaces near him?

--

Gracias,

David Francos Cuartero (davidfrancos.net)

Re: [hackerspaces] Irving Texas student suspended for bringing a circuitry-control clock project to school

mindthegoat
On 16.09.2015 05:38, Shirley Hicks wrote:
> On Sep 15, 2015, at 11:37 PM, Shirley Hicks
The lack of replies here suggests everyone is completely lost for
words. In the UK we moan about our education system but you guys are in
so much trouble if your country is going so backward.

Support Ahmed, the school and police are surely a lost cause.

Rob

> <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> Are there any hackers on the list who are also US teachers who would
> care to comment on how to best word an email lending support to a
> high
> school student who has been suspended for three days for bringing a
> circuit board clock project to school? I think that this is an
> overreaction by the school leadership and the local police due to
> their not understanding electronic engineering and general hacking. I
> don’t want to do a social media pile on; I would rather helpful and
> educational while pointing out how they’ve got this very, very,
> wrong.
> FWIW - I checked a map - Irving is a Dallas suburb.
>

> http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/northwest-dallas-county/headlines/20150915-irving-9th-grader-arrested-after-taking-homemade-clock-to-school.ece
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irving_Independent_School_District
>
> Thanks!
>
> Shirley Hicks
> Secretary/Business Admin/Programmer/Maker
> Red Mountain Makers

Re: [hackerspaces] Irving Texas student suspended for bringing a circuitry-control clock project to school

Glyn Kennington
mindthegoat wrote:
> The lack of replies here suggests everyone is completely lost for
> words. In the UK we moan about our education system but you guys are
> in so much trouble if your country is going so backward.
>
> Support Ahmed, the school and police are surely a lost cause.

I'm reminded of something I read years ago, about a student being
suspended for "hacking" after using "net send".  That was also in Texas.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/04/01/07/1713236/8th-grader-suspended-for-using-net-send-command

It looks like this time round, the police were involved and demonstrated
a similar lack of clue.

Re: [hackerspaces] Irving Texas student suspended for bringing a circuitry-control clock project to school

Joshua Pritt

I am at a loss for words. We really do seem to be moving backwards.  I'm reminded of the movie Idiocracy and worry that we are actually heading in that direction.  How can we make sure to avoid that possible future?

On Sep 16, 2015 7:16 AM, "Glyn Kennington" <[hidden email]> wrote:
mindthegoat wrote:
> The lack of replies here suggests everyone is completely lost for
> words. In the UK we moan about our education system but you guys are
> in so much trouble if your country is going so backward.
>
> Support Ahmed, the school and police are surely a lost cause.

I'm reminded of something I read years ago, about a student being
suspended for "hacking" after using "net send".  That was also in Texas.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/04/01/07/1713236/8th-grader-suspended-for-using-net-send-command

It looks like this time round, the police were involved and demonstrated
a similar lack of clue.

Re: [hackerspaces] Irving Texas student suspended for bringing a circuitry-control clock project to school

Mitch Altman
WTF?

This guy needs to be encouraged, not discouraged.

I got the Dallas Makerspace address from hackerspaces.org.  According to Google Maps, it's a 22 minute drive to Irving (or a 3 hour 41 minute walk).

I'll email someone there, and see if they can contact Ahmed.

Best,
Mitch.

Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 07:27:37 -0400
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [hackerspaces] Irving Texas student suspended for bringing a circuitry-control clock project to school

On Sep 16, 2015 7:16 AM, "Glyn Kennington" <glyn@...> wrote:
mindthegoat wrote:
> The lack of replies here suggests everyone is completely lost for
> words. In the UK we moan about our education system but you guys are
> in so much trouble if your country is going so backward.
>
> Support Ahmed, the school and police are surely a lost cause.

I'm reminded of something I read years ago, about a student being
suspended for "hacking" after using "net send".  That was also in Texas.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/04/01/07/1713236/8th-grader-suspended-for-using-net-send-command

It looks like this time round, the police were involved and demonstrated
a similar lack of clue.

Re: [hackerspaces] Irving Texas student suspended for bringing a circuitry-control clock project to school

Samir Cury
That reminds me of a similar case with software several years ago -- student was suspicious of digital crime because "he knew too much". What's even more interesting is that one of the reasons to suspect him was that he uses a "black screen with white font which he uses prompt commands on".

There are longer versions but here's a short one :

Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 07:27:37 -0400
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

mindthegoat wrote:
> The lack of replies here suggests everyone is completely lost for
> words. In the UK we moan about our education system but you guys are
> in so much trouble if your country is going so backward.
>
> Support Ahmed, the school and police are surely a lost cause.

I'm reminded of something I read years ago, about a student being
suspended for "hacking" after using "net send".  That was also in Texas.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/04/01/07/1713236/8th-grader-suspended-for-using-net-send-command

It looks like this time round, the police were involved and demonstrated
a similar lack of clue.

Re: [hackerspaces] Irving Texas student suspended for bringing a circuitry-control clock project to school

Randall Arnold

I live not far from Irving and used to work there.  I had always thought it was more progressive than some of the cities around here... apparently not.

This state has become so paranoid...

mindthegoat wrote:
> The lack of replies here suggests everyone is completely lost for
> words. In the UK we moan about our education system but you guys are
> in so much trouble if your country is going so backward.
>
> Support Ahmed, the school and police are surely a lost cause.

I'm reminded of something I read years ago, about a student being
suspended for "hacking" after using "net send".  That was also in Texas.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/04/01/07/1713236/8th-grader-suspended-for-using-net-send-command

It looks like this time round, the police were involved and demonstrated
a similar lack of clue.

Re: [hackerspaces] Irving Texas student suspended for bringing a circuitry-control clock project to school

Edward L Platt-3
Sadly, this happens at all levels of education and even at the most tech-savvy schools. My friends Nathan Matias and Kate Darling have been working with MIT and BU to set up a legal clinic for MIT students who run into legal trouble as a result of innovative work. They're also organizing an event with the EFF called Freedom to Innovate. It might be encouraging for the student to know that MIT students run into the same types of problems, and these links might be able to sway some people in the city and school:

http://freedom2innovate.mit.edu/

-Ed

mindthegoat wrote:
> The lack of replies here suggests everyone is completely lost for
> words. In the UK we moan about our education system but you guys are
> in so much trouble if your country is going so backward.
>
> Support Ahmed, the school and police are surely a lost cause.

I'm reminded of something I read years ago, about a student being
suspended for "hacking" after using "net send".  That was also in Texas.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/04/01/07/1713236/8th-grader-suspended-for-using-net-send-command

It looks like this time round, the police were involved and demonstrated
a similar lack of clue.

Edward L. Platt
PhD student, University of Michigan School of Information
KC1DYK

Tips for stopping email overload: https://hbr.org/2012/02/stop-email-overload-1

This digital electronic mail message was sent from my general-purpose desktop personal computing machine.  Please forgive any overly-verbose, long-winded, rambling prose.

Re: [hackerspaces] Irving Texas student suspended for bringing a circuitry-control clock project to school

David Francos

Sadly, this happens at all levels of education and even at the most tech-savvy schools. My friends Nathan Matias and Kate Darling have been working with MIT and BU to set up a legal clinic for MIT students who run into legal trouble as a result of innovative work. They're also organizing an event with the EFF called Freedom to Innovate. It might be encouraging for the student to know that MIT students run into the same types of problems, and these links might be able to sway some people in the city and school:

http://freedom2innovate.mit.edu/

If it were me, that tought would not encourage me to anything, it'd probably depress me a little and probably make me realize how fucked up our world really is

Happy hacking,

mindthegoat wrote:
> The lack of replies here suggests everyone is completely lost for
> words. In the UK we moan about our education system but you guys are
> in so much trouble if your country is going so backward.
>
> Support Ahmed, the school and police are surely a lost cause.

I'm reminded of something I read years ago, about a student being
suspended for "hacking" after using "net send".  That was also in Texas.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/04/01/07/1713236/8th-grader-suspended-for-using-net-send-command

It looks like this time round, the police were involved and demonstrated
a similar lack of clue.

Edward L. Platt
PhD student, University of Michigan School of Information
KC1DYK

Tips for stopping email overload: https://hbr.org/2012/02/stop-email-overload-1

This digital electronic mail message was sent from my general-purpose desktop personal computing machine.  Please forgive any overly-verbose, long-winded, rambling prose.

Gracias,

David Francos Cuartero (davidfrancos.net)

Re: [hackerspaces] Irving Texas student suspended for bringing a circuitry-control clock project to school

Morgan Gangwere

Re: [hackerspaces] Irving Texas student suspended for bringing a circuitry-control clock project to school

Matt Joyce
This is how you get super villains.

mindthegoat wrote:
> The lack of replies here suggests everyone is completely lost for
> words. In the UK we moan about our education system but you guys are
> in so much trouble if your country is going so backward.
>
> Support Ahmed, the school and police are surely a lost cause.

I'm reminded of something I read years ago, about a student being
suspended for "hacking" after using "net send".  That was also in Texas.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/04/01/07/1713236/8th-grader-suspended-for-using-net-send-command

It looks like this time round, the police were involved and demonstrated
a similar lack of clue.

Edward L. Platt
PhD student, University of Michigan School of Information
KC1DYK

Tips for stopping email overload: https://hbr.org/2012/02/stop-email-overload-1

This digital electronic mail message was sent from my general-purpose desktop personal computing machine.  Please forgive any overly-verbose, long-winded, rambling prose.

Gracias,

David Francos Cuartero (davidfrancos.net)

Re: [hackerspaces] Irving Texas student suspended for bringing a circuitry-control clock project to school

Chris Weiss
On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 11:38 PM Shirley Hicks <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

it's very telling that the engineering teacher immediately said "don't show it to anyone" recognizing that the school has a problem, and also that there's no mention of that teacher stepping in to speak for Ahmed, as would be the right thing for a mentor to do, even if after the fact.  Schools should not be a place of fear, for students or teachers, and this school just announced to the world that it runs on fear.  The English teacher may have been diligent, but the principal was flat wrong, step one should have been to call in an engineering or electronics teacher and have them verify.  I'm not even sure how to comment about the cops, it smells of civil right violations and harassment, but IANAL and I don't play one on TV.

Re: [hackerspaces] Irving Texas student suspended for bringing a circuitry-control clock project to school

ITechGeek

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 5:28 AM, David Francos <[hidden email]> wrote:
I still can't comprehend how a child with a clock can be detained, thrown in a prision cell for a few hours, and then still not being allowed to go back to school.

I think this would be called "Being a maker while brown".

I can see the school holding it for the parents, but from what I was reading the case was being kept closed w/ a wire because he didn't want to lock it.  Anyone could have looked inside to see no explosive material (or asked the cops to come inspect it), but no reason for the cops to take him off school grounds.

-ITG (ITechGeek)
[hidden email]
https://itg.nu/
GPG Keys: https://itg.nu/contact/gpg-key
Preferred GPG Key: Fingerprint: AB46B7E363DA7E04ABFA57852AA9910A DCB1191A
Google Voice: +1-703-493-0128 / Twitter: ITechGeek / Facebook: http://fb.me/Jbwa.Net

Re: [hackerspaces] Irving Texas student suspended for bringing a circuitry-control clock project to school

Pete Prodoehl

Who in their right mind would make a clock!?

    http://www.instructables.com/howto/clock/

See Also:

    http://nootropicdesign.com/defusableclock/

Pete

On 9/16/15 10:03 AM, Joshua Pritt wrote:
[...]

Danyelle Davis

All politics aside.  I think that's very cool.

Re: [hackerspaces] Irving Texas student suspended for bringing a circuitry-control clock project to school

ITechGeek
At the bottom, there is a letter the school sent home including "Student Code of Conduct and specifically not bringing items to school that are prohibited."

I'm curious where homemade clocks would be listed in the Student Code of Conduct.