[hackerspaces] How to optimize the space

[hackerspaces] How to optimize the space

Big Smile
Hello Worlds!

At our hackerspace, we lack space. We have got a little place in the
basement.

Do you have some tips to optimize (or just organize) the space or some
articles about it
to share?

Cheers

Re: [hackerspaces] How to optimize the space

dosman
Yes, UP. Get rid of the stuff that’s not really being used. Those member projects that haven’t been touched in a year - apply some pressure, announce a big cleanup day. That robotic salsa bar that sounded like a great idea last year but hasn’t been used for 8 months? Time to go.

If your membership is growing or at least sustaining, it might also be time to move.

On Jul 15, 2017, at 2:29 PM, William Saturno <[hidden email]> wrote:

UP is your friend. Like NYC property, up in the way way to go to grow space with a small footprint

On Jul 15, 2017 2:13 PM, "Big Smile" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Worlds!

At our hackerspace, we lack space. We have got a little place in the
basement.

Do you have some tips to optimize (or just organize) the space or some
articles about it
to share?

Cheers

Re: [hackerspaces] How to optimize the space

William Saturno
And really try to have a CRITICAL EYE. I now critique on "Is it essential?" Or "Is it going to be utilized in a realistic time frame" parts for a someday project is a sure bet that there's not enough interest to use it I try to keep the space dynamic as possible.  The interest of the members 5 years ago isn't always the interest of the members today so move out of that pottery wheel that hasn't been used in 2 years.

I'm also trying to figure out a way to use a "parking lot system" for things that don't get Everyday Use. ( welding equipment, metal casting equipment, wood bowl turning equipment) They go on to individual wheeled carts and get parked tightly together. It's still not working yet but it's an Idea in progress

Bill Saturno
CT Hackerspace

On Jul 15, 2017 2:56 PM, "dosman" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Joshua Pritt
We also started in a small space at Melbourne Makerspace. We built a loft for storing things we didn't use every day. It was basically a wooden deck with 6 4x4 posts that we could also stand under with the woodworking tools.
Also we made sure to label the spare parts that were chosen for a future project with the member's name and date. If the date got over many months we'd ask that member to put it in their storage box or take it home or it was getting chucked out.
We also had "nerd" rummage sales and auctions for people to buy our old computers and monitors, etc.
We installed many levels of wire shelves to organize our member storage and other bins for parts storage.  Another idea is to make sure every table has some sort of storage built underneath if possible.

On Jul 15, 2017 4:46 PM, "Matt Joyce" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yes. I go out of my way to help people preserve their projects, but I’ve stopped having any sorrow what-so-ever for people who are surprised their project computer was cannibalized when they left it on the main hacking table on a public night with nothing to indicate who it belongs to.

Also, our purgatory shelf has been a hit. The only problem is when stuff doesn’t get “flushed” in a timely manner and it starts to over-flow, but that’s easy enough to solve.