[hackerspaces] Food Hacking Base at CCC camp 2015 join and support

[hackerspaces] Food Hacking Base at CCC camp 2015 join and support

Frantisek Apfelbeck
Greetings to the hacker community,
this is an invitation for collaboration and support of Food Hacking Base (fhb) project, this time at CCC Camp 2015. You may have noticed already we are running crowdsourcing campaign to make the Food Hacking Base (fhb) project possible at CCC camp so here comes your chance to help us to spread the word and contribute hoping you find it interesting and worth of support

https://www.indiegogo.com/at/fhbcamp2015

I hope you will find the project interesting and will hang around the fhb project during the camp or at least you pop in to say hi :-)

The highlight for this event will be finally a Biolab venue and it looks like we will manage to build two workshop venues.

Thanks for any type of support it is really appreciated! By the way we hope to be also present at

MRMCD 2015

https://mrmcd.net/2015/index.en.html

and BalCCon2k15

Sincerely for Food Hacking Base,
Frantisek

PS If you plan to hang around Food Hacking Base village at the camp please do sign in through your CCC wiki account adding yourself as Food Hacking Base member (you can be member of more villages of course), more people will grant us more space ... More info about our village is below

https://events.ccc.de/camp/2015/wiki/Village:Foodhackingbase

plus extra info of what we are up to on the fhb wikies if you like

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck

biotechnologist&kvasir and hacker

http://www.frantisekapfelbeck.org

Re: [hackerspaces] Food Hacking Base at CCC camp 2015 join and support - BOMB WARNING!

overflo
hi frantisek and everybody

you had a workshop on kefir or kombucha or something similar and one of
the bottles ended up at our village (leiwandville).
there was a glass bottle used with a ceramic closing bracket.
whoever brought it didnt know that he/she was not supposed to CLOSE it
and the bottle EXPLODED in the middle of an SMD soldering workshop i
gave there.

it was really quite bad, people got hurt and need to go to the hospital
because glas particles were stuck in their faces, a throat was cut and
an eyelid bleeding..
we also found a 20cm long piece of glass that went trough the ceiling of
the tent and propelled for another 4-5 meters afterwards.
that tent was made of some sturdy fabric, so if that piece would have
hit a guy he would probably have died.

anyway, the smd workshop was a BLAST. ;)

i just wanted to make sure that everybody attending a foodhacking
workshop in the future knows exactly that closing a bottle of fermenting
stuff could result in  a lifethreatening bomb.
i am not critisizing you here, you do great work and i am happy that you
do what you do.
i just want to make sure that in the future people will not be hurt by
their lack of knowledge.

all the best
-flo

Re: [hackerspaces] Food Hacking Base at CCC camp 2015 join and support - BOMB WARNING!

Mitch Altman
Thanks for posting about this overflo.

Frantisek asked me and others about how to best handle this in the future.

That the bottle was in the hot sun was a problem.  So, one thing that will happen in the future is: there will be a very noticeable sticker on each bottle about not putting a sealed bottle in a warm place or in sunlight.

Also, Frantisek us looking into bottles with caps that can release pressure when it gets too high.

Best,
Mitch.

> To: discuss@lists.hackerspaces.org
> From: flo@tekstix.com
> Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 15:41:45 +0200
> Subject: Re: [hackerspaces] Food Hacking Base at CCC camp 2015 join and support - BOMB WARNING!
>
> hi frantisek and everybody
>
> you had a workshop on kefir or kombucha or something similar and one of
> the bottles ended up at our village (leiwandville).
> there was a glass bottle used with a ceramic closing bracket.
> whoever brought it didnt know that he/she was not supposed to CLOSE it
> and the bottle EXPLODED in the middle of an SMD soldering workshop i
> gave there.
>

> it was really quite bad, people got hurt and need to go to the hospital
> because glas particles were stuck in their faces, a throat was cut and
> an eyelid bleeding..
> we also found a 20cm long piece of glass that went trough the ceiling of
> the tent and propelled for another 4-5 meters afterwards.
> that tent was made of some sturdy fabric, so if that piece would have
> hit a guy he would probably have died.
>
> anyway, the smd workshop was a BLAST. ;)
>
> i just wanted to make sure that everybody attending a foodhacking
> workshop in the future knows exactly that closing a bottle of fermenting
> stuff could result in a lifethreatening bomb.
> i am not critisizing you here, you do great work and i am happy that you
> do what you do.
> i just want to make sure that in the future people will not be hurt by
> their lack of knowledge.
>

> all the best
> -flo

Re: [hackerspaces] Food Hacking Base at CCC camp 2015 join and support - BOMB WARNING!

Frantisek Apfelbeck
Greetings to al and Overflol,
first of all I'm really sorry for the incident and I'm very glad that things did not ended worse.

Second, it was truly beverage distributed by Food Hacking Base Village within our Probiotic Drinks Everywhere Project which I was coordinating

I think I do know which batch was "the one" by the way, it was actually prepared before the event.

We are aware of the issue and we will come up with solutions, for more info check the answers/suggestions in the email below as ### quick and most reliable fix is proper labeling of the bottles - "Keep at cold otherwise danger of explosion".

Once more I'm sorry for the issue, will do my best to avoid it in the future.

Sincerely from VoidWarranties,

Frantisek

PS Answers as ###

hi frantisek and everybody

you had a workshop on kefir or kombucha or something similar and one of
the bottles ended up at our village (leiwandville).

### the drink was prepared already before the camp to be drunked during the camp as part of our Probiotic Drinks Everywhere project which I coordinated

there was a glass bottle used with a ceramic closing bracket.
whoever brought it didnt know that he/she was not supposed to CLOSE it
and the bottle EXPLODED in the middle of an SMD soldering workshop i
gave there.

### the bottle was supposed to  be closed (90% preference) if people like their drink carbonated. However life probiotic drinks needs to be kept cold otherwise they do overferment and potentionally (but actually quite rearly) explode. Other options is to drink non fizzy versions with partly loosed tops so the carbon can safely escape.

it was really quite bad, people got hurt and need to go to the hospital
because glas particles were stuck in their faces, a throat was cut and
an eyelid bleeding..

### I checked with the CERT and was very happy that it did not ended worse, it had the potential to be very serious I'm aware of that.

we also found a 20cm long piece of glass that went trough the ceiling of
the tent and propelled for another 4-5 meters afterwards.
that tent was made of some sturdy fabric, so if that piece would have
hit a guy he would probably have died.

anyway, the smd workshop was a BLAST. ;)

### I hope your workshop was success at the end, sounds like that :-)

i just wanted to make sure that everybody attending a foodhacking
workshop in the future knows exactly that closing a bottle of fermenting
stuff could result in  a lifethreatening bomb.

### We really try to inform everyone that they have to keep their drinks at cold (fridge or on ice) otherwise if left at room temperature or higher they will overferment and can either spray people when opened or explode - but that is very rare case and it takes actually generally weeks of extra fermentation at room temperature for that to happen and still doesn't happen too often. I've been told the bottle was on direct sun which based on my measurments during the camp could result in temperature over 40 if not even 45C which can speed the process very much. Also the bottle which exploded was higher on sugars than desired for event of this type.

### The main think which we plan to do is to label the bottles clearly with "potentionaly explosive, keep at cold!" sings as solution number one, continuing telling to the people the info and we will think about more security stuff added. Using plastic bottles seems as one option which should really help but I've to look into what happens if the plastic bottle exploads - could be potentionally even worse because of the extreme pressure. We do plan to continue to make and distribute the drinks in the future on the hacker events, hackerspaces etc. so we will do our best to do it safely. We are into this for over five years and there are more and more hackerspaces which are starting to handle these drinks well in a long term (Brmlab in Prague is one of the most active for example).

i am not critisizing you here, you do great work and i am happy that you
do what you do.

### Tjhanks I really enjoy this, people are joining and contaminating their homes and hackerspaces, I'm very happy :-)

i just want to make sure that in the future people will not be hurt by
their lack of knowledge.

### Yes people need to know and they need to care about the drinks, bottles left unattended around are potential danger, but I think as first step, sticker clealry stating the handling procedure and explosion potential should eliminate most of the issues, plastic bottles are also possibility.

all the best
-flo

### Thanks for the post and suggestions, we will apply first improvements at MRMCD 2015

### and BalCCon2k15 as a second phase

### to be ready with safer and complex approach for 32c3 - primarily for tasting and workshop purposes because no food and drinks served for masses there, sorry.

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck biotechnologist&kvasir and hacker http://www.frantisekapfelbeck.org "There is no way to peace, peace is the way." Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

On Monday, August 24, 2015 2:42 PM, overflo <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

thanks for the followup.
probiotic drinks sound interesting, i hope i can join one of your
sessions one day.

this very thread somehow made its way to hackaday [0] and there are some
GOOD suggestions in the comments (i consider this unusual for hackaday).
the suggestion that a lot of contributers made was to use airlocks and
someone also suggested PET bottles while someone else said thats no good
as it would allow for oxygen to pass the walls.
i am not into this subject at all, so i am not giving any advice, but i
think that some of the user contributed suggestions on the hackaday
article sound reasonable.

all the best
-florian

[0]