[hackerspaces] Discrimination & Harassment policies

[hackerspaces] Discrimination & Harassment policies

Bob Bownes

I know we've discussed in the deep past, but does anyone have links to their discrimination & harassment policies, preferably vetted by legal counsel?

We've had a few small issues of late with folks doing just plain stupid stuff (rearranging refrigerator magnets into $GENDER hostile phrases, obscenity laden stickers in plain sight of the family area, etc) and I need to pull something together.

Thanks!
Bob

Re: [hackerspaces] Discrimination & Harassment policies

Shirley Hicks
Not vetted by legal counsel directly, but borrowed from sample language put together by Geek Feminism. We steal from the best.

Click through to the Antiuharrassment page.

Shirley Hicks
Red Mountain Makers
Birmingham AL

On Jul 5, 2016, at 5:09 PM, Bob Bownes <[hidden email]> wrote:

I know we've discussed in the deep past, but does anyone have links to their discrimination & harassment policies, preferably vetted by legal counsel?

We've had a few small issues of late with folks doing just plain stupid stuff (rearranging refrigerator magnets into $GENDER hostile phrases, obscenity laden stickers in plain sight of the family area, etc) and I need to pull something together.

Thanks!
Bob

Re: [hackerspaces] Discrimination & Harassment policies

John Benedetto
Here's a link to Quelab's policies page:
  http://quelab.net/wiki/doku.php?id=policies:start

First link under policies is the "Inclusivity, Anti-Harrassment, & Greivance Policies" page.  Not vetted by legal counsel, but "This anti-harassment policy is based on the example policy from the Geek Feminism wiki, created by the Ada Initiative and other volunteers."

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 4:09 PM, Bob Bownes <[hidden email]> wrote:

I know we've discussed in the deep past, but does anyone have links to their discrimination & harassment policies, preferably vetted by legal counsel?

We've had a few small issues of late with folks doing just plain stupid stuff (rearranging refrigerator magnets into $GENDER hostile phrases, obscenity laden stickers in plain sight of the family area, etc) and I need to pull something together.

Thanks!
Bob

Re: [hackerspaces] Discrimination & Harassment policies

Walter van Holst
On 2016-07-06 13:37, Ian Norton wrote:
> We based ours on Crypto Party Stockholm and the Gothenburg Hackerspace
> - not vetted by legal council.
>
> https://github.com/lammspace/documentation/blob/master/members-information/code-of-conduct.md

I shudder at the though of having to vet an anti-harassment policy (yes,
do legal for a living).

My suggestion would be:

- Don't be a dick.
- Don't be a pussy either.