[hackerspaces] Disco themed project?

Liz

[hackerspaces] Disco themed project?

Liz
Wassail!

At my local space CHAMP, we participate in a monthly downtown City arts event. Each event has a theme, with September's theme being "Disco". We build (hack together) things to go with the theme.
However, we are not quite sure what to do for next month and  I was wondering if any of you had any disco theme projects or ideas that we could use? :)

~
Liz

Re: [hackerspaces] Disco themed project?

Mo Morsi
Not exactly disco related but a few of us at sig315 [1] were working on a Arduino controlled barber shop pole using el-wire [2]. Unfortunately the project never got fully finished but the idea was the pole would light up when various events were detected. Things like transactions on the bitcoin network [3], a space opening for the day [4], etc.

Perhaps you can build an Arduino controlled disco ball.

  -Mo

[1] http://sig315.org/
[2] http://www.meetup.com/Syracuse-Innovators/photos/26011426/#435706305
[3] https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/API_reference_%28JSON-RPC%29
[4] http://spaceapi.net/

On 08/17/2015 11:10 PM, Liz wrote:
Wassail!

At my local space CHAMP, we participate in a monthly downtown City arts event. Each event has a theme, with September's theme being "Disco". We build (hack together) things to go with the theme.
However, we are not quite sure what to do for next month and  I was wondering if any of you had any disco theme projects or ideas that we could use? :)

~
Liz

Re: [hackerspaces] Disco themed project?

Joshua Pritt
I'd try to make a multicolor disco ball that reacts to the music.  Have it listen to the music, divide it up into the frequency channels like an equalizer then turn on the different colors based on which channel goes over some threshold.  You could also make the ball spin the other way if it hears a gap in between songs or if crossfading, if it detects a different song!
Or just make it all simple and just randomly change colors and direction...

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 8:06 AM, Mo Morsi <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Nathaniel Bezanson
What an auspicious and coincidental question you should ask!

Why, just the other day, I found myself looking at disco balls, and lamenting the mundane rotation options offered commercially. They're all hung from a chain or cable or something, restricting them to a purely plumb axis.

"Wouldn't it be cool", I thought to myself, "if you could build a disco-ball orrery, able to send one or more disco balls orbiting around the dance ceiling with their axes not normal to the ecliptic plane?"

(It's not the first time I've asked myself something completely whack-ass, and I doubt it'll be the last.)

-Nate B-

Liz wrote:
Wassail!

At my local space CHAMP, we participate in a monthly downtown City arts event. Each event has a theme, with September's theme being "Disco". We build (hack together) things to go with the theme.
However, we are not quite sure what to do for next month and  I was wondering if any of you had any disco theme projects or ideas that we could use? :)

~
Liz

Re: [hackerspaces] Call for instructors - Birmingham, AL

Shirley Hicks
I would especially like to talk to someone who can lead an introductory wearable tech weekend workshop. We have a sewing lab and a circuit lab (with appropriate tools). This will be a paid session and we will provide airfare and accommodation for the right person.

On Aug 18, 2015, at 3:11 PM, Shirley Hicks <[hidden email]> wrote:

Red Mountain Makers is organizing 2015/2016 classes and workshops in Birmingham, AL. This is will be our first series.
We’re looking for instructors within a two hour driving distance to run our short courses (12 hour/4 class series) focused on specific topics, and out-of-town instructors to come in for weekend workshops.

We have a local mix of complete beginners who want to get started on tech projects, and more advanced enthusiasts, who’d like to get together to push the envelope.

If you are interested in giving a class on the following topics - or have some cool project-based sessions to create other things, we’d like to talk to you.

Fall 2015
Introduction to Arduinos
Project development using Arduinos
Wearable circuits
Sensors and clothing
Environmental sensors
Various Arduino projects
Web development workshops
Wiki workshop
Introduction to Linux OS
Project-focused Linux
Youth robotics classes** (most requests - would really like an experienced lead for this)
Introduction to computer hardware
Making circuit boards
Introduction to Circuit Design
Python programming workshop
Javascript workshops
Intro to Wordpress (in conjunction with Wordpress BIrmingham)
Intro to Drupal
Shop equipment & power tool training and certification.
Silicon casting and molding.
Introduction to 3D printing
3D modeling for 3D printing
Introduction to ROS, the Robot Operating System (Facilitated group going through online tutorials)
MIT App Inventor (Facilitated group going through online tutorials)
Beyond Arduino: Clones and Alternatives (Other micro-controllers and how to choose based on application)

Best Regards,

Shirley Hicks
Secretary/Business Admin/Programmer/Maker
Red Mountain Makers
Twitter: @redmountainmake
Facebook: Red Mountain Makers
Cell: 205-503-3870