[hackerspaces] Conference software for the smaller event, hints wanted

[hackerspaces] Conference software for the smaller event, hints wanted

Olle Jonsson
Dear *spaces,

Just wrapped up Hacknight #2, http://hacknight.se/ - and had a great
time. A wrinkle was the pre-planning phase, where I'd have liked a
light-weight web software. What do you use as "micro-conference tool"?

best regards,
   Olleolleolle

Re: [hackerspaces] Conference software for the smaller event, hints wanted

Jon Spriggs
I'm in the middle of writing some conference management software,
using LAMP stack. It's really designed for Unconferences and BarCamps,
but there's no reason why it couldn't be re-purposed :)

http://code.google.com/p/campfiremanager

All the best,
--
Jon "The Nice Guy" Spriggs

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 8:45 AM, Olle Jonsson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear *spaces,
>
> Just wrapped up Hacknight #2, http://hacknight.se/ - and had a great
> time. A wrinkle was the pre-planning phase, where I'd have liked a
> light-weight web software. What do you use as "micro-conference tool"?
>
> best regards,
>   Olleolleolle

Re: [hackerspaces] Conference software for the smaller event, hints wanted

elmar lecher
On 06/21/2010 09:45 AM, Olle Jonsson wrote:
> Just wrapped up Hacknight #2, http://hacknight.se/ - and had a great
> time. A wrinkle was the pre-planning phase, where I'd have liked a
> light-weight web software. What do you use as "micro-conference tool"?

On the last (mini-)cons we used pentabarf. It collects submissions,
allows you to rate, accept and deny submissions, scedule talks and
organize rooms. Also there is a possibility to give feedback and such.

But i am not sure what you mean by lightweight - and by
micro-conference-tool. What is it supposed to do?

mc.fly ...

Re: [hackerspaces] Conference software for the smaller event, hints wanted

Olle Jonsson
Thanks Jon, I have pentabarf in my sights. (Perhaps it can run on
Heroku? Being IT lazy.)

> But i am not sure what you mean by lightweight - and by
> micro-conference-tool. What is it supposed to do?

Hello, McFly, I'll try to define:

Light-weight: Few dependencies, easy to set up. A Debian package would be nice.

Micro-conference tool: We are small. We have small needs. The tool
does not have to do _everything_. So far our events have been for free
(no payment processing needed) without sign-up. We've had 2-4 rooms.

Re: [hackerspaces] Conference software for the smaller event, hints wanted

Alexandre Dulaunoy-2
On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Olle Jonsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear *spaces,
>
> Just wrapped up Hacknight #2, http://hacknight.se/ - and had a great
> time. A wrinkle was the pre-planning phase, where I'd have liked a
> light-weight web software. What do you use as "micro-conference tool"?

We are using for the hack.lu conference (especially for the
paper submission and evaluation) :

http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~kohler/hotcrp/

The software is really great but maybe a bit too
formal for a "micro-conference"/barcamp.

Hope this helps,

adulau

--
--                   Alexandre Dulaunoy (adulau) -- http://www.foo.be/
--                             http://www.foo.be/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/Diary

Re: [hackerspaces] Conference software for the smaller event, hints wanted

Bkay

If you ever find an easy way to install pentabard, let alone a package, let me know. Because we had a hell of a time implementing pentabarf. Limited documentation and parts of it in German surely didn't help. But when it works, it's one hell of a platform. Kudos for the people that made it!!

B.

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Olle Jonsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Jon, I have pentabarf in my sights. (Perhaps it can run on
Heroku? Being IT lazy.)

> But i am not sure what you mean by lightweight - and by
> micro-conference-tool. What is it supposed to do?

Hello, McFly, I'll try to define:

Light-weight: Few dependencies, easy to set up. A Debian package would be nice.

Micro-conference tool: We are small. We have small needs. The tool
does not have to do _everything_. So far our events have been for free
(no payment processing needed) without sign-up. We've had 2-4 rooms.

Re: [hackerspaces] Conference software for the smaller event, hints wanted

David Raison-2