[hackerspaces] Collaboration with public libraries to host/incubate new hackerspaces?

[hackerspaces] Collaboration with public libraries to host/incubate new hackerspaces?

Kẏra ​
https://twitter.com/Empowermentors/status/651004032597684224

Is there any documentation on working with local public libraries to use those existing ideologically similar spaces to start a hackerspace? These types of partnerships seem like they would be naturally symbiotic and mutually beneficial. I'd like to do this in my city, but I don't really know what the best practices are. Some successful examples might be helpful, if nothing else.

Re: [hackerspaces] Collaboration with public libraries to host/incubate new hackerspaces?

Joshua Pritt

I would just look online for all the libraries that currently have a makerspace or started one until it grew large enough to get their own space.
Then show those to your library and city council.
I would also find a lot of good examples of what makerspaces do by printing off a few blog posts from various makerspace websites. Check out the classes and events from ours to get started:
www.melbournemakerspace.org

On Jul 17, 2016 6:23 PM, "Kẏra ​" <[hidden email]> wrote:
https://twitter.com/Empowermentors/status/651004032597684224

Is there any documentation on working with local public libraries to use those existing ideologically similar spaces to start a hackerspace? These types of partnerships seem like they would be naturally symbiotic and mutually beneficial. I'd like to do this in my city, but I don't really know what the best practices are. Some successful examples might be helpful, if nothing else.

Re: [hackerspaces] Collaboration with public libraries to host/incubate new hackerspaces?

Mo Morsi
The Fayetteville Free Library Fab Lab was one of the first to pop up

http://www.fflib.org/make/fab-lab

There are a few in / around Syracuse (NY) now. Though the sig was first
on the scene! (est 2010)

http://www.meetup.com/syracuse-innovators/

</shameless-shout-out>

   -Mo