[hackerspaces] Coding Teacher

friday demola
Hi,
     I have big passion for coding which i wanted to learn many years ago, which I started again last year using codecademy.com to brush myself by taking HTML classes but stopped after finishing the classes.

I know there are a lot of websites out there to use, we cannot ignore the complications and other things which learner get stuck it, but I would much appreciate if anyone out there who could spare some time to show me how to be good in coding and if possible take me classes.

I am very ready to learn

Regards
Friday Demola

Re: [hackerspaces] Coding Teacher

webmind
On 07/07/16 17:05, Friday Demola wrote:

> Hi,
>      I have big passion for coding which i wanted to learn many years
> ago, which I started again last year using codecademy.com
> <http://codecademy.com> to brush myself by taking HTML classes but
> stopped after finishing the classes.
>
> I know there are a lot of websites out there to use, we cannot ignore
> the complications and other things which learner get stuck it, but I
> would much appreciate if anyone out there who could spare some time to
> show me how to be good in coding and if possible take me classes.
>
> I am very ready to learn
You sent this to the international hackerspaces mailing list. So I'm not
sure this is relevant for you. In Technologia Incognita in Amsterdam we
have regular 'learning to code' meet-ups. You're quite welcome to join
there to learn.

Cheers,

w.

Re: [hackerspaces] Coding Teacher

Joshua Pritt

I've been having fun with the lessons at code.org and https://codecombat.com/

On Jul 7, 2016 11:10 AM, "webmind" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 07/07/16 17:05, Friday Demola wrote:
> Hi,
>      I have big passion for coding which i wanted to learn many years
> ago, which I started again last year using codecademy.com
> <http://codecademy.com> to brush myself by taking HTML classes but
> stopped after finishing the classes.
>
> I know there are a lot of websites out there to use, we cannot ignore
> the complications and other things which learner get stuck it, but I
> would much appreciate if anyone out there who could spare some time to
> show me how to be good in coding and if possible take me classes.
>
> I am very ready to learn

You sent this to the international hackerspaces mailing list. So I'm not
sure this is relevant for you. In Technologia Incognita in Amsterdam we
have regular 'learning to code' meet-ups. You're quite welcome to join
there to learn.

Cheers,

w.

Re: [hackerspaces] Coding Teacher

friday demola
Thank you so much for the reply. I am actually based in Lagos, in Nigeria.

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 4:07 PM, webmind <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 07/07/16 17:05, Friday Demola wrote:
> Hi,
>      I have big passion for coding which i wanted to learn many years
> ago, which I started again last year using codecademy.com
> <http://codecademy.com> to brush myself by taking HTML classes but
> stopped after finishing the classes.
>
> I know there are a lot of websites out there to use, we cannot ignore
> the complications and other things which learner get stuck it, but I
> would much appreciate if anyone out there who could spare some time to
> show me how to be good in coding and if possible take me classes.
>
> I am very ready to learn

You sent this to the international hackerspaces mailing list. So I'm not
sure this is relevant for you. In Technologia Incognita in Amsterdam we
have regular 'learning to code' meet-ups. You're quite welcome to join
there to learn.

Cheers,

w.

Re: [hackerspaces] Coding Teacher

friday demola
Thank you Joshua Pritt, I will take a look at those websites url that you just provided.

If i may ask; what level are you now?

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 5:05 PM, Joshua Pritt <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've been having fun with the lessons at code.org and https://codecombat.com/

On Jul 7, 2016 11:10 AM, "webmind" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 07/07/16 17:05, Friday Demola wrote:
> Hi,
>      I have big passion for coding which i wanted to learn many years
> ago, which I started again last year using codecademy.com
> <http://codecademy.com> to brush myself by taking HTML classes but
> stopped after finishing the classes.
>
> I know there are a lot of websites out there to use, we cannot ignore
> the complications and other things which learner get stuck it, but I
> would much appreciate if anyone out there who could spare some time to
> show me how to be good in coding and if possible take me classes.
>
> I am very ready to learn

You sent this to the international hackerspaces mailing list. So I'm not
sure this is relevant for you. In Technologia Incognita in Amsterdam we
have regular 'learning to code' meet-ups. You're quite welcome to join
there to learn.

Cheers,

w.

Re: [hackerspaces] Coding Teacher

Shirley Hicks
 I recommend www.freecodecamp.com. Focus on web code first, great format, good reinforcement, great community development. Gets you up and going using GitHub and CodePen.io. You move into scripting with Javascript. Focus on current platforms. 15 months old.

Shirley Hicks
Birmingham, AL

On Jul 7, 2016, at 11:05 AM, Joshua Pritt <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've been having fun with the lessons at code.org and https://codecombat.com/

On Jul 7, 2016 11:10 AM, "webmind" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 07/07/16 17:05, Friday Demola wrote:
> Hi,
>      I have big passion for coding which i wanted to learn many years
> ago, which I started again last year using codecademy.com
> <http://codecademy.com> to brush myself by taking HTML classes but
> stopped after finishing the classes.
>
> I know there are a lot of websites out there to use, we cannot ignore
> the complications and other things which learner get stuck it, but I
> would much appreciate if anyone out there who could spare some time to
> show me how to be good in coding and if possible take me classes.
>
> I am very ready to learn

You sent this to the international hackerspaces mailing list. So I'm not
sure this is relevant for you. In Technologia Incognita in Amsterdam we
have regular 'learning to code' meet-ups. You're quite welcome to join
there to learn.

Cheers,

w.

Re: [hackerspaces] Coding Teacher

\0xDynamite
> I know there are a lot of websites out there to use, we cannot ignore the
> complications and other things which learner get stuck it, but I would much
> appreciate if anyone out there who could spare some time to show me how to
> be good in coding and if possible take me classes.

You might try " Hacking with the Tao":  <http://wiki.hackerspaces.org/Zen_code>.

Let me know if you like it.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: [hackerspaces] Coding Teacher

friday demola
Thank you Shirley for the suggestion.

On 7/7/16, Shirley Hicks <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  I recommend www.freecodecamp.com. Focus on web code first, great format,
> good reinforcement, great community development. Gets you up and going using
> GitHub and CodePen.io. You move into scripting with Javascript. Focus on
> current platforms. 15 months old.
>
> Shirley Hicks
> Birmingham, AL
>
>> On Jul 7, 2016, at 11:05 AM, Joshua Pritt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've been having fun with the lessons at code.org <http://code.org/> and
>> https://codecombat.com/ <https://codecombat.com/>
>> On Jul 7, 2016 11:10 AM, "webmind" <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>> On 07/07/16 17:05, Friday Demola wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >      I have big passion for coding which i wanted to learn many years
>> > ago, which I started again last year using codecademy.com
>> > <http://codecademy.com/>
>> > <http://codecademy.com <http://codecademy.com/>> to brush myself by
>> > taking HTML classes but
>> > stopped after finishing the classes.
>> >
>> > I know there are a lot of websites out there to use, we cannot ignore
>> > the complications and other things which learner get stuck it, but I
>> > would much appreciate if anyone out there who could spare some time to
>> > show me how to be good in coding and if possible take me classes.
>> >
>> > I am very ready to learn
>>
>> You sent this to the international hackerspaces mailing list. So I'm not
>> sure this is relevant for you. In Technologia Incognita in Amsterdam we
>> have regular 'learning to code' meet-ups. You're quite welcome to join
>> there to learn.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> w.

Re: [hackerspaces] Coding Teacher

friday demola
Okay Mark, thanks

On 7/7/16, Xer0Dynamite <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I know there are a lot of websites out there to use, we cannot ignore the
>> complications and other things which learner get stuck it, but I would
>> much
>> appreciate if anyone out there who could spare some time to show me how to
>> be good in coding and if possible take me classes.
>
> You might try " Hacking with the Tao":
> <http://wiki.hackerspaces.org/Zen_code>.
>
> Let me know if you like it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

Re: [hackerspaces] Coding Teacher

jaromil

hi Friday,

have a look at this list linking many free books on programming
https://github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md

if you really want to learn *programming* instead of scripting, I
recommend avoiding most hype and proceeding with study of C and LISP:
one helps understanding internals and the other teaches you how to
think when planning good software architectures.

For a quick start with LISP, I find Clojure a great language which
puts you also in control of most Java libraries.

Clojure's Nightmod is a great IDE for game development and can be fun
for learning https://sekao.net/nightmod/

ciao

--
~.,_   Denis Roio aka Jaromil    http://Dyne.org think &do tank
    "+.   CTO and co-founder      free/open source developers

Re: [hackerspaces] Coding Teacher

friday demola
Thank you Jaromil, I am still a bit stuck in the link you send to me.

Let's just say I am new to coding word, after being done with HTML and CSS! What course would you suggest i go for, i could make use of the list if you provide one.

Regards
Demo

On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 9:48 AM, Jaromil <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Go through the w3schools javascript tutorial.  I really like the step by step and TRY IT! parts.
http://www.w3schools.com/Js/
Makes it really easy to pick up and try it and change it and really learn it.
There are tons more and this is just the tip of the ice berg since there are several javascript frameworks like jQuery and the like that makes programming with javascript easier by needing to use fewer lines of code to do really neat things.