[hackerspaces] Cairo's Hackerspace Shutdown after government raid

Liz

[hackerspaces] Cairo's Hackerspace Shutdown after government raid

Liz

Re: [hackerspaces] Cairo's Hackerspace Shutdown after government raid

Moritz
On 01/06/2016 04:29 AM, Liz wrote:
> https://twitter.com/CairoHackers/status/681777950396674048
> http://www.madamasr.com/news/culture/townhouse-gallery-rawabet-theater-closed-after-interagency-raid

Does anyone have new information? Is this legal trouble of the
hackerspace, or about something/somebody else within that art/cultural
center? Is there a Cairo legal fund or reboot fund that one can donate
to? Is it time to make a larger fund that can quickly help in such
situations?

.mo

Re: [hackerspaces] Cairo's Hackerspace Shutdown after government raid

Anna Waldman-Brown
Hi Liz and Moritz, this is really disturbing and thanks for sharing. Please meet Tarek, the founder of Cairo Hackerspace and an inspiring community leader.

Hey Tarek, I'm horrified to hear that your space was shut down. Is there anything we can do, as the global hackerspaces community? Hope you can either find a new location or get back to communal hacking at the Townhouse soon...

All my best,
Anna

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 8:02 PM, Moritz <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 01/06/2016 04:29 AM, Liz wrote:
> https://twitter.com/CairoHackers/status/681777950396674048
> http://www.madamasr.com/news/culture/townhouse-gallery-rawabet-theater-closed-after-interagency-raid

Does anyone have new information? Is this legal trouble of the
hackerspace, or about something/somebody else within that art/cultural
center? Is there a Cairo legal fund or reboot fund that one can donate
to? Is it time to make a larger fund that can quickly help in such
situations?

.mo

Re: [hackerspaces] Cairo's Hackerspace Shutdown after government raid

hellekin-3
On 01/11/2016 08:01 PM, Anna Waldman-Brown wrote:

> Hi Liz and Moritz, this is really disturbing and thanks for sharing. Please
> meet Tarek, the founder of Cairo Hackerspace and an inspiring community
> leader.
>
> Hey Tarek, I'm horrified to hear that your space was shut down. Is there
> anything we can do, as the global hackerspaces community? Hope you can
> either find a new location or get back to communal hacking at the Townhouse
> soon...
>
> All my best,
> Anna

Bump.  Curious as well.  No news since January.  How did the situation
evolved in Cairo, Tarek?

==
hk

--
 _ _     We are free to share code and we code to share freedom
(_X_)yne Foundation, Free Culture Foundry * https://www.dyne.org/donate/

Re: [hackerspaces] Cairo's Hackerspace Shutdown after government raid

Matt Joyce

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 12:10 PM, hellekin <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 01/11/2016 08:01 PM, Anna Waldman-Brown wrote:
> Hi Liz and Moritz, this is really disturbing and thanks for sharing. Please
> meet Tarek, the founder of Cairo Hackerspace and an inspiring community
> leader.
>
> Hey Tarek, I'm horrified to hear that your space was shut down. Is there
> anything we can do, as the global hackerspaces community? Hope you can
> either find a new location or get back to communal hacking at the Townhouse
> soon...
>
> All my best,
> Anna

Bump.  Curious as well.  No news since January.  How did the situation
evolved in Cairo, Tarek?

==
hk

--
 _ _     We are free to share code and we code to share freedom
(_X_)yne Foundation, Free Culture Foundry * https://www.dyne.org/donate/

Re: [hackerspaces] Cairo's Hackerspace Shutdown after government raid

Marc Bruyere
Tarek will be at the Toulouse Hacker Space Festival to give us more details about the situation.
THSF : 19th to 22nd May in Toulouse.

On 01/11/2016 08:01 PM, Anna Waldman-Brown wrote:
> Hi Liz and Moritz, this is really disturbing and thanks for sharing. Please
> meet Tarek, the founder of Cairo Hackerspace and an inspiring community
> leader.
>
> Hey Tarek, I'm horrified to hear that your space was shut down. Is there
> anything we can do, as the global hackerspaces community? Hope you can
> either find a new location or get back to communal hacking at the Townhouse
> soon...
>
> All my best,
> Anna

Bump.  Curious as well.  No news since January.  How did the situation
evolved in Cairo, Tarek?

==
hk

--
 _ _     We are free to share code and we code to share freedom
(_X_)yne Foundation, Free Culture Foundry * https://www.dyne.org/donate/

Re: [hackerspaces] Cairo's Hackerspace Shutdown after government raid

Tarek Ahmed
Dear all,

The list admin did not approve my past reply!! Sincere apologies for replying late and the silence.
We don't have a space at the moment so things are a bit up and down in trying to run workshops and complete projects.

As for the situation, it's still complicated.Essentially we have had problems since the raid on Townhouse in December. There aren't any legal repercussions for us directly as of yet, but we are also trying to avoid any inflammatory situations with the government. We are still brainstorming on ideas for funding a new space, but it is nearly impossible to accept foreign funds in Egypt anymore. We wrote a clarifying post on our website here if you'd like to read: http://cairohackerspace.org/post/143081993447/rollercoaster

Thank you for your support.

Best
Tarek
--
Tarek Omar
Director | Cairo Makerspace

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 10:01 PM, Anna Waldman-Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Liz and Moritz, this is really disturbing and thanks for sharing. Please meet Tarek, the founder of Cairo Hackerspace and an inspiring community leader.

Hey Tarek, I'm horrified to hear that your space was shut down. Is there anything we can do, as the global hackerspaces community? Hope you can either find a new location or get back to communal hacking at the Townhouse soon...

All my best,
Anna

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 8:02 PM, Moritz <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 01/06/2016 04:29 AM, Liz wrote:
> https://twitter.com/CairoHackers/status/681777950396674048
> http://www.madamasr.com/news/culture/townhouse-gallery-rawabet-theater-closed-after-interagency-raid

Does anyone have new information? Is this legal trouble of the
hackerspace, or about something/somebody else within that art/cultural
center? Is there a Cairo legal fund or reboot fund that one can donate
to? Is it time to make a larger fund that can quickly help in such
situations?

.mo

Re: [hackerspaces] Cairo's Hackerspace Shutdown after government raid

michael howard
In a dictatorship I think I would avoid using the term "hackerspace", and call it something very mundane such as "wood working shop", "computer programming study center", something like that.

Dear all,

The list admin did not approve my past reply!! Sincere apologies for replying late and the silence.
We don't have a space at the moment so things are a bit up and down in trying to run workshops and complete projects.

As for the situation, it's still complicated.Essentially we have had problems since the raid on Townhouse in December. There aren't any legal repercussions for us directly as of yet, but we are also trying to avoid any inflammatory situations with the government. We are still brainstorming on ideas for funding a new space, but it is nearly impossible to accept foreign funds in Egypt anymore. We wrote a clarifying post on our website here if you'd like to read: http://cairohackerspace.org/post/143081993447/rollercoaster

Thank you for your support.

Best
Tarek
--
Tarek Omar
Director | Cairo Makerspace
Mob : <a href="tel:%2B201225429869" value="+201225429869" target="_blank">+201225429869
Cairo Makerspace

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 10:01 PM, Anna Waldman-Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Liz and Moritz, this is really disturbing and thanks for sharing. Please meet Tarek, the founder of Cairo Hackerspace and an inspiring community leader.

Hey Tarek, I'm horrified to hear that your space was shut down. Is there anything we can do, as the global hackerspaces community? Hope you can either find a new location or get back to communal hacking at the Townhouse soon...

All my best,
Anna

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 8:02 PM, Moritz <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 01/06/2016 04:29 AM, Liz wrote:
> https://twitter.com/CairoHackers/status/681777950396674048
> http://www.madamasr.com/news/culture/townhouse-gallery-rawabet-theater-closed-after-interagency-raid

Does anyone have new information? Is this legal trouble of the
hackerspace, or about something/somebody else within that art/cultural
center? Is there a Cairo legal fund or reboot fund that one can donate
to? Is it time to make a larger fund that can quickly help in such
situations?

.mo

[hackerspaces] Floating community equipment sets?

Shirley Hicks
Hey everyone,

We have an unaddressed need in the greater Birmingham, AL metro area for a floating set of laptops, arduinos/inventor’s kits that could be loaned out to multiple community groups already working with kids, teens and adults, but who are having difficulties finding budget room for instructional kits, or bureaucratic room (IT security concerns) regarding adding additional IDEs and other software tools to their networked computers.

The few community groups who have attempted this haven’t been the most tech savvy and have run into problems with budgeting maintenance and eventual replacement into their programs, as well as instruction. They also haven’t scaled - lack of communication between different parts of the community (black/white, urban/suburban/exurban, no one regional school system, biggest library system underfunded).

Our makerspace is in the unique position of knowing most of the people who want to do more of this stuff within their individual community groups - and having the technical and financial background to get this rolling for the long-term.

I’m planning to write a grant application in June, but need some help finding financial models from other community groups and makerspace who have gone down this road. I’m specifically looking for experiences with kit durability, need for replacement parts, laptop maintenance needs, any paid staff costs that need to be allowed for, and the financial planning required to do it all.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Shirley Hicks
Red Mountain Makers
Birmingham, AL

Re: [hackerspaces] Floating community equipment sets?

Arclight
I can fit a mostly-complete EE lab in a milk crate.  We also do the
same with lockpicking.  I think "can be carried by one person into an
elevator" is a good target for each module's size.  I've seen a few
setups where big, custom wood crates or large Pelican boxes were built
for school/etc use.  They almost never left, since they required a van
and 2-3 people to move.

Arclight

On May 7, 2016, at 12:48 PM, Joshua Pritt <[hidden email]> wrote:

So you're talking about a hackerspace in a box?  I think there has been several ideas for a project like this.

There have. I’ve contacted London ON’s Maker Bus, but haven’t heard back re visit dates.
Also, a Montgomery AL-based bus at Foomatic.

— Shirley

[...]

Mike crates and milk crate equivalents are good modular size.
Also, rubbermaid totes and fold up carts. We do that with our show materials now.

— Shirley