[hackerspaces] CIrcuit design games or tools?

[hackerspaces] CIrcuit design games or tools?

Shirley Hicks
Red Mountain Makers will have a working group focused on developing interactive electronics instruction tools in 2016. (we need some stuff in the space for instruction, as well as portable demo kits)

We are in a community where significant portions of our neighbors and residents are not familiar with key concepts.

As we outline the project, I’m wondering if any spaces (or members of spaces) are working on games or interactive tools to design (and demonstrate completeness) of circuits using the standard symbol sets?

I’m envisioning drag and drop symbols tiles with feedback as to correctness from the program, along with multiple levels of difficulty matching design and control requirements.

Best Regards,

Shirley Hicks
Treasurer/Web Admin/Programmer/Maker
Red Mountain Makers
http://www.redmountainmakers.org
Twitter: @redmountainmake
Facebook: Red Mountain Makers
Meetup: meetup.com/redmountainmakers

Re: [hackerspaces] CIrcuit design games or tools?

Joshua Pritt

Check out the ST:EAK from Meat stand.
Soldering Trainer Entropy Aproximation Kit. It teaches circuits, soldering, and you get a neat 6 sided die toy with led lights when you're done. http://meatstand.com/wiki/St:eak

On Dec 6, 2015 12:35 PM, "Shirley Hicks" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Michel Gallant
The Apple II game "Rocky's Boots" teaches boolean logic in a very fun gamified way. I don't know what platform you're running so I can't recommend a specific emulator, but if you can get an emu on your machines, you can get the disk image here: http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/ftp.apple.asimov.net/images/educational/rockys_boots/rocky'sboots.dsk

Make sure caps lock is on. Older Apple ][ machines didn't have lowercase and this is from that era.

Michel

On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 3:03 PM, Joshua Pritt <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Anna Waldman-Brown
Autodesk has this easy-to-use and fully-functional circuit simulator: https://123d.circuits.io

It's sadly not open source at all, but their team is great and they're always looking for new ways to engage with hackerspaces if you'd like any intros...

Best,
Anna

On Sun, Dec 6, 2015 at 12:34 PM, Shirley Hicks <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Anna, if you’re willing to do the intros, I’m _very_ interested.
We’re working with one of our local high schools to starting making this stuff cool — and access to this kind of tool would be extremely helpful.

— Shirley