[hackerspaces] Anyone have numbers on current cost tradeoffs between...

[hackerspaces] Anyone have numbers on current cost tradeoffs between...

Shirley Hicks
Laptop and tower rebuilds and conversion to Linux as a way to get inexpensive connectivity out to low-income US residents versus inexpensive new?
I have a couple of folks interested in getting a non-profit going locally to focus on rebuilding donated machines and kitting them out with Linux, and then giving them as working machines to local youth interested in IT and tech (the kids would also be helping with the rebuilds as part of A+ training)

Anyone have current numbers analysis on the cost tradeoffs? Or who knows where I could find them?

I’m just finishing one tech non-profit startup and would like to round up the costs before turning around and starting another.

Shirley Hicks
BIrmingham, AL

Re: [hackerspaces] Anyone have numbers on current cost tradeoffs between...

Bastiaan van den Berg
If you play it well, you should be able to find free ~shitty hardware, like firstgen core2duos etc.

Collect some PFY/minions/volunteers , install nice simple distro with openoffice and gimp and some other stuff.

Then once you have ~100 , go post around. 'Come get a free (voluntary donation) computer!'

Should not cost you a lot, and with the money that some ppl might offer you should even gain some momentum (for pizzas / gas to pick up more pcs / etc)

I stopped telling people i liked free ~shitty hardware, cause it kept growing too fast..

We live in times of massive economic excess, better act like it!

--
buZz
NURDspace.nl