[hackerspaces] Access control RFID pinpad enclosure halp

[hackerspaces] Access control RFID pinpad enclosure halp

Rubin Abdi
Noisebridge's trusty gutted payphone turned into an outdoor access control pinpad/RFID reader has died today. After initial observation it seems the rain that everyone's been asking for has finally shown up and gotten inside the thing. We can open it up and clean it out and most likely get it running again, but remounting the thing is a pain and the process of weatherproofing it isn't going to be easy.

I am looking for one of two things...

1. Recommendations on an affordable out door enclosure, can be securely attached to a gate (https://goo.gl/photos/YgMhVAGUasEtDWoB8), has a weatherproof pinpad, plastic window to read RFID through, and potentially another window for a small display to be mounted against. Bonus points if we can order this and get it delivered soon.

2. Such a thing as the item above, that your hacker space has a spare of and is wanting to either get rid of it or sell it to us for a reasonable cost.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also if you're curious how our system works...

Thanks!

Re: [hackerspaces] Access control RFID pinpad enclosure halp

Derek Hubbard

I say you should absolutely work on getting that payphone enclosure fixed up, because it's badass.

For the reader,  why not just pick up an off the shelf solution that's already waterproofed? In order to find one, I first need to know your requirements. What type/frequency RFID cards are you already using? How are you connecting to your access control board? Wiegand?

On Dec 22, 2015 5:21 PM, "Rubin Abdi" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Our problem is someone "hacked" the payphone by drilling through the lock to initially get inside because they were too lazy to ask around about a key. Which means to lock it now you need access to the back. To prevent others from accessing the back, there's the back side of another dead payphone used as a mounting plate, sandwiching the gate between it. Since the holes aren't threaded we did some other horrible hacks involving epoxy and nuts to provide something to grab onto when threading the bolts in.

All in all our setup is jank as fuck. I would like to keep the aesthetic of the payphone, but in order to not paint ourselves into a corner again I believe we'll need to acquire a new one, which will take longer than we want.

--
Rubin
[hidden email]

On Dec 22, 2015 15:35, "Pete Prodoehl" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Arclight
I'd probably just laser cut something out of 1/4" black ABS (UV
resistant) and put it together with security Torx fasteners and a
steel backing plate.  Alternatively, you could purchase a NEMA box
with a flip-up cover at any electrical store. You could mount a heavy
ABS plate inside to protect the electronics and still pass LF RFID
signals.

Arclight

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 4:24 PM, Rubin Abdi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Our problem is someone "hacked" the payphone by drilling through the lock to
> initially get inside because they were too lazy to ask around about a key.
> Which means to lock it now you need access to the back. To prevent others
> from accessing the back, there's the back side of another dead payphone used
> as a mounting plate, sandwiching the gate between it. Since the holes aren't
> threaded we did some other horrible hacks involving epoxy and nuts to
> provide something to grab onto when threading the bolts in.
>
> All in all our setup is jank as fuck. I would like to keep the aesthetic of
> the payphone, but in order to not paint ourselves into a corner again I
> believe we'll need to acquire a new one, which will take longer than we
> want.
>
> --
> Rubin
> [hidden email]
>
> On Dec 22, 2015 15:35, "Pete Prodoehl" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Agreed! the payphone approach is awesome... I've seen weatherproofing
>> accomplished with generous applications of Silicone caulk...
>>

>> Pete
>>

>> On 12/22/15 5:26 PM, Derek H wrote:
>>
>> I say you should absolutely work on getting that payphone enclosure fixed
>> up, because it's badass.
>>
>> For the reader,  why not just pick up an off the shelf solution that's
>> already waterproofed? In order to find one, I first need to know your
>> requirements. What type/frequency RFID cards are you already using? How are
>> you connecting to your access control board? Wiegand?
>>
>> On Dec 22, 2015 5:21 PM, "Rubin Abdi" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Noisebridge's trusty gutted payphone turned into an outdoor access
>>> control pinpad/RFID reader has died today. After initial observation it
>>> seems the rain that everyone's been asking for has finally shown up and
>>> gotten inside the thing. We can open it up and clean it out and most likely
>>> get it running again, but remounting the thing is a pain and the process of
>>> weatherproofing it isn't going to be easy.
>>>
>>> I am looking for one of two things...
>>>
>>> 1. Recommendations on an affordable out door enclosure, can be securely
>>> attached to a gate (https://goo.gl/photos/YgMhVAGUasEtDWoB8), has a
>>> weatherproof pinpad, plastic window to read RFID through, and potentially
>>> another window for a small display to be mounted against. Bonus points if we
>>> can order this and get it delivered soon.
>>>
>>> 2. Such a thing as the item above, that your hacker space has a spare of
>>> and is wanting to either get rid of it or sell it to us for a reasonable
>>> cost.
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Also if you're curious how our system works...
>>>
>>> https://github.com/hzeller/rfid-access-control
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Rubin
>>> [hidden email]

Re: [hackerspaces] Access control RFID pinpad enclosure halp

Joshua Pritt
Do you have a Lowe's or similar hardware store nearby?
Will something like this work?  You'd have to cut your own windows and seal them correctly though:

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 7:50 PM, Arclight <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> 1. Recommendations on an affordable out door enclosure, can be securely
>>> attached to a gate (https://goo.gl/photos/YgMhVAGUasEtDWoB8), has a
>>> weatherproof pinpad, plastic window to read RFID through, and potentially
>>> another window for a small display to be mounted against. Bonus points if we
>>> can order this and get it delivered soon.
>>>
>>> 2. Such a thing as the item above, that your hacker space has a spare of
>>> and is wanting to either get rid of it or sell it to us for a reasonable
>>> cost.
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Also if you're curious how our system works...
>>>
>>> https://github.com/hzeller/rfid-access-control
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Rubin
>>> [hidden email]

Re: [hackerspaces] Access control RFID pinpad enclosure halp

That's a NEMA box.  If you keep the stuff under the cover, you have
another layer of water protection.  People just have to flip up the
cover to use their PIN/card.

Arclight

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 4:53 PM, Joshua Pritt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do you have a Lowe's or similar hardware store nearby?
> Will something like this work?  You'd have to cut your own windows and seal
> them correctly though:
> http://goo.gl/RuyZZM
>

> On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 7:50 PM, Arclight <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'd probably just laser cut something out of 1/4" black ABS (UV
>> resistant) and put it together with security Torx fasteners and a
>> steel backing plate.  Alternatively, you could purchase a NEMA box
>> with a flip-up cover at any electrical store. You could mount a heavy
>> ABS plate inside to protect the electronics and still pass LF RFID
>> signals.
>>
>> Arclight
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 4:24 PM, Rubin Abdi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Our problem is someone "hacked" the payphone by drilling through the
>> > lock to
>> > initially get inside because they were too lazy to ask around about a
>> > key.
>> > Which means to lock it now you need access to the back. To prevent
>> > others
>> > from accessing the back, there's the back side of another dead payphone
>> > used
>> > as a mounting plate, sandwiching the gate between it. Since the holes
>> > aren't
>> > threaded we did some other horrible hacks involving epoxy and nuts to
>> > provide something to grab onto when threading the bolts in.
>> >
>> > All in all our setup is jank as fuck. I would like to keep the aesthetic
>> > of
>> > the payphone, but in order to not paint ourselves into a corner again I
>> > believe we'll need to acquire a new one, which will take longer than we
>> > want.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Rubin
>> > [hidden email]

Re: [hackerspaces] Access control RFID pinpad enclosure halp

Joshua Pritt
I wonder if RFID signal can make it through that metal if you tape the reader right up against the edge?
You might have to cut out a window and caulk up an acrylic window for the RFID reader.
Test it out for science!