[hackerspaces] Aaron Swartz Day

Cecilia Tanaka
On behalf of my dear friend Lisa:

"Hello There,

Pleased to meet you. I'm Lisa Rein, [hidden email], Coordinator of the
second annual Aaron Swartz Day, which will tie into the Aaron Swartz
International Hackathon going on during Aaron's birthday weekend (November
7-8), as it has for the last two years.

I'm hoping that more cities will have hackathons this year, because as of
today, there are only a few (Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Mexico City Riyadh,
Berlin, and San Francisco).

This year's Aaron Swartz Day hackathon in San Francisco also features a
privacy-enabling conference for teaching newbies privacy-enabling
software.

Here's a link to the San Francisco Hackathon. Garrett Robinson,
SecureDrops Lead Programmer, will be there, ready to work with people all
over the world that want to hack on SecureDrop for the weekend (and/or in
the future!):

http://www.aaronswartzday.org/sanfrancisco/

The two programs we know ahead of time that people will be hacking on, at
the San Francisco Hackathon are:

SecureDrop:
https://github.com/freedomofpress/securedrop

The Internet Archives Open Archive App -- no link yet but coming soon!

In the evening, there will be a live webcast event featuring many cool
speakers, including:

Garrett Robinson (Lead Programmer, SecureDrop)

Alison Macrina (Founder and Director, Library Freedom Project)

Brewster Kahle (Digital Librarian, Internet Archive)

Cindy Cohn (Executive Director, Electronic Frontier Foundation)

Roger Dingledine (Interim Executive Director, Tor Project)

Micah Lee (Co-founder, Board Member, and Technologist at “The Intercept”)

Jacob Appelbaum (Security Expert seen in Citizen Four, Wikileaks
volunteer) (Appearing remotely via Jitsi over Tor)

John Perry Barlow (EFF and Freedom of the Press Foundation co-founder) and
Special Guests.

Please let me know if you might be interested in having a hackathon in
your town!

Thanks,

Lisa Rein
[hidden email]
"xmlrein" on Skype :)

Relevant Links:

Host-a-hackathon instructions:
http://www.aaronswartzday.org/host-a-hackathon/

Privacy-enabling Mini-Conference:
http://www.aaronswartzday.org/privacy-con/

Invitation to live event:
http://www.aaronswartzday.org/invite/

Aaron Swartz Day website:

--
"Discordo daquilo que dizes, mas defenderei até a morte o teu direito de o dizeres". - Voltaire