[hackerspaces] A Survey for Hackerspace members about their involvement

[hackerspaces] A Survey for Hackerspace members about their involvement

Jarkko Moilanen
Hi,

Writings, articles, discussions, conference presentations, guidelines
about hackerspaces has been done by several authors and hackerspace
members. Also the amount of Hackerspaces around the world is rising
(probably). In brief, hackerspace as movement is alive and kicking.
What seems to be missing is more detailed information about different
hackerspaces and their members.

I have created (with help of two others) a small survey for
Hackerspace members about their involvement. This survey aims to fill
the information gap. This survey does not have academic origins.
Instead it was born out of pure personal curiosity. The results of
this survey will provide more detailed information about hackerspaces,
which might be interesting for us (hackers) and to the rest of the
world. It might give some hints about the status and orientation of
hackerspaces.

The results will be published in author's blog: http://extreme.ajatukseni.net/

So, if you are a member of some hackerspace/Makerspace, take the
survey! It probably takes less than 5 minutes to fill it.

The survey can be found here:
http://tinyurl.com/3y2ldaq

or if the tinyurl is not working, here:
http://spreadsheets1.google.com/viewform?formkey=dFI1bHM0WHo1SGpWNXZUVE5SRWY5Mnc6MQ

Cheers,
Jarkko

****************************
  Jarkko Moilanen (phone: +358 46 640 8339)
  M.Soc.Sc. (Political Science)
  PhD Student, Information studies, University of Tampere
  Blog: Extreme activities in cyberspace - http://extreme.ajatukseni.net/

attachment0 (1K) Download Attachment

Re: [hackerspaces] A Survey for Hackerspace members about their involvement

Koen Martens
Hey,

You've got some dutch texts in there! 'Insturen' instead of 'Submit' on the
button.. And somewhere it says 'Anders'..

Make sure to post (a link to) the results on this list when you've summarized
them! Am curious.

Gr,

Koen

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 11:48:08AM +0300, Jarkko Moilanen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Writings, articles, discussions, conference presentations, guidelines
> about hackerspaces has been done by several authors and hackerspace
> members. Also the amount of Hackerspaces around the world is rising
> (probably). In brief, hackerspace as movement is alive and kicking. What
> seems to be missing is more detailed information about different
> hackerspaces and their members.
>
> I have created (with help of two others) a small survey for Hackerspace
> members about their involvement. This survey aims to fill the information
> gap. This survey does not have academic origins. Instead it was born out
> of pure personal curiosity. The results of this survey will provide more
> detailed information about hackerspaces, which might be interesting for
> us (hackers) and to the rest of the world. It might give some hints about
> the status and orientation of hackerspaces.
>
> The results will be published in author's blog: http://extreme.ajatukseni.net/
>
> So, if you are a member of some hackerspace/Makerspace, take the survey!
> It probably takes less than 5 minutes to fill it.
>
> The survey can be found here:
> http://tinyurl.com/3y2ldaq
>
> or if the tinyurl is not working, here:
> http://spreadsheets1.google.com/viewform?formkey=dFI1bHM0WHo1SGpWNXZUVE5SRWY5Mnc6MQ
>

> Cheers,
> Jarkko
>
> ****************************
>  Jarkko Moilanen (phone: +358 46 640 8339)
>  M.Soc.Sc. (Political Science)
>  PhD Student, Information studies, University of Tampere
>  Blog: Extreme activities in cyberspace - http://extreme.ajatukseni.net/
>  -------------------------
>  Founder of Hackerspace 5w, Finland, Tampere - 5w.fi

Re: [hackerspaces] A Survey for Hackerspace members about their involvement

André Kelpe-2
Koen,

that is a feature of google spreadsheets, auto localization. Check
your browser settings, what languages you accept (could also be
IP/location based), but I def. see no Dutch words in there.

-- André

2010/6/26 Koen Martens <[hidden email]>:

> Hey,
>
> You've got some dutch texts in there! 'Insturen' instead of 'Submit' on the
> button.. And somewhere it says 'Anders'..
>
> Make sure to post (a link to) the results on this list when you've summarized
> them! Am curious.
>
> Gr,
>
> Koen
>
> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 11:48:08AM +0300, Jarkko Moilanen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Writings, articles, discussions, conference presentations, guidelines
>> about hackerspaces has been done by several authors and hackerspace
>> members. Also the amount of Hackerspaces around the world is rising
>> (probably). In brief, hackerspace as movement is alive and kicking. What
>> seems to be missing is more detailed information about different
>> hackerspaces and their members.
>>
>> I have created (with help of two others) a small survey for Hackerspace
>> members about their involvement. This survey aims to fill the information
>> gap. This survey does not have academic origins. Instead it was born out
>> of pure personal curiosity. The results of this survey will provide more
>> detailed information about hackerspaces, which might be interesting for
>> us (hackers) and to the rest of the world. It might give some hints about
>> the status and orientation of hackerspaces.
>>
>> The results will be published in author's blog: http://extreme.ajatukseni.net/
>>
>> So, if you are a member of some hackerspace/Makerspace, take the survey!
>> It probably takes less than 5 minutes to fill it.
>>
>> The survey can be found here:
>> http://tinyurl.com/3y2ldaq
>>
>> or if the tinyurl is not working, here:
>> http://spreadsheets1.google.com/viewform?formkey=dFI1bHM0WHo1SGpWNXZUVE5SRWY5Mnc6MQ
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Jarkko
>>
>> ****************************
>>  Jarkko Moilanen (phone: +358 46 640 8339)
>>  M.Soc.Sc. (Political Science)
>>  PhD Student, Information studies, University of Tampere
>>  Blog: Extreme activities in cyberspace - http://extreme.ajatukseni.net/
>>  -------------------------
>>  Founder of Hackerspace 5w, Finland, Tampere - 5w.fi

> K.F.J. Martens, Sonologic, http://www.sonologic.nl/
> Networking, hosting, embedded systems, unix, artificial intelligence.
> Public PGP key: http://www.metro.cx/pubkey-gmc.asc
> Wondering about the funny attachment your mail program
> can't read? Visit http://www.openpgp.org/

Re: [hackerspaces] A Survey for Hackerspace members about their involvement

Jarkko Moilanen

> Hey,
>
> You've got some dutch texts in there! 'Insturen' instead of 'Submit' on the
> button.. And somewhere it says 'Anders'..

It seems that Google automatically translates parts of the form. I
surely wrote my texts in English :)

> Make sure to post (a link to) the results on this list when you've summarized
> them! Am curious.

Will do!

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 01:35:17PM +0300, Jarkko Moilanen wrote:
>> You've got some dutch texts in there! 'Insturen' instead of 'Submit' on the
>> button.. And somewhere it says 'Anders'..
>
> It seems that Google automatically translates parts of the form. I
> surely wrote my texts in English :)

Maybe you should somehow turn that off. It says 'click submit', but there
is no 'submit' button, just 'Insturen' :)

>> Make sure to post (a link to) the results on this list when you've summarized
>> them! Am curious.
>>

> Will do!

Tnx!

Gr,

Koen

>> Gr,
>>
>> Koen
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 11:48:08AM +0300, Jarkko Moilanen wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Writings, articles, discussions, conference presentations, guidelines
>>> about hackerspaces has been done by several authors and hackerspace
>>> members. Also the amount of Hackerspaces around the world is rising
>>> (probably). In brief, hackerspace as movement is alive and kicking. What
>>> seems to be missing is more detailed information about different
>>> hackerspaces and their members.
>>>
>>> I have created (with help of two others) a small survey for Hackerspace
>>> members about their involvement. This survey aims to fill the information
>>> gap. This survey does not have academic origins. Instead it was born out
>>> of pure personal curiosity. The results of this survey will provide more
>>> detailed information about hackerspaces, which might be interesting for
>>> us (hackers) and to the rest of the world. It might give some hints about
>>> the status and orientation of hackerspaces.
>>>
>>> The results will be published in author's blog:
>>> http://extreme.ajatukseni.net/
>>>
>>> So, if you are a member of some hackerspace/Makerspace, take the survey!
>>> It probably takes less than 5 minutes to fill it.
>>>
>>> The survey can be found here:
>>> http://tinyurl.com/3y2ldaq
>>>
>>> or if the tinyurl is not working, here:
>>> http://spreadsheets1.google.com/viewform?formkey=dFI1bHM0WHo1SGpWNXZUVE5SRWY5Mnc6MQ
>>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Jarkko
>>>
>>> ****************************
>>>  Jarkko Moilanen (phone: +358 46 640 8339)
>>>  M.Soc.Sc. (Political Science)
>>>  PhD Student, Information studies, University of Tampere
>>>  Blog: Extreme activities in cyberspace - http://extreme.ajatukseni.net/
>>>  -------------------------
>>>  Founder of Hackerspace 5w, Finland, Tampere - 5w.fi
>>

>> --
>> K.F.J. Martens, Sonologic, http://www.sonologic.nl/
>> Networking, hosting, embedded systems, unix, artificial intelligence.
>> Public PGP key: http://www.metro.cx/pubkey-gmc.asc
>> Wondering about the funny attachment your mail program
>> can't read? Visit http://www.openpgp.org/
>>

> ****************************
>  Jarkko Moilanen (phone: +358 46 640 8339)
>  M.Soc.Sc. (Political Science)
>  PhD Student, Information studies, University of Tampere
>  Blog: Extreme activities in cyberspace - http://extreme.ajatukseni.net/
>  -------------------------
>  Founder of Hackerspace 5w, Finland, Tampere - 5w.fi

Re: [hackerspaces] A Survey for Hackerspace members about their involvement

Rick Deckardt
Nice,

Going to pass this on to hackerspace magazine #2.

On Sat, 2010-06-26 at 11:48 +0300, Jarkko Moilanen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Writings, articles, discussions, conference presentations, guidelines
> about hackerspaces has been done by several authors and hackerspace
> members. Also the amount of Hackerspaces around the world is rising
> (probably). In brief, hackerspace as movement is alive and kicking.
> What seems to be missing is more detailed information about different
> hackerspaces and their members.
>
> I have created (with help of two others) a small survey for
> Hackerspace members about their involvement. This survey aims to fill
> the information gap. This survey does not have academic origins.
> Instead it was born out of pure personal curiosity. The results of
> this survey will provide more detailed information about hackerspaces,
> which might be interesting for us (hackers) and to the rest of the
> world. It might give some hints about the status and orientation of
> hackerspaces.
>
> The results will be published in author's blog: http://extreme.ajatukseni.net/
>
> So, if you are a member of some hackerspace/Makerspace, take the
> survey! It probably takes less than 5 minutes to fill it.
>
> The survey can be found here:
> http://tinyurl.com/3y2ldaq
>
> or if the tinyurl is not working, here:
> http://spreadsheets1.google.com/viewform?formkey=dFI1bHM0WHo1SGpWNXZUVE5SRWY5Mnc6MQ
>

> Cheers,
> Jarkko
>
> ****************************
>   Jarkko Moilanen (phone: +358 46 640 8339)
>   M.Soc.Sc. (Political Science)
>   PhD Student, Information studies, University of Tampere
>   Blog: Extreme activities in cyberspace - http://extreme.ajatukseni.net/

Don't ask what you can do for your country, but what your government can
do to you

Re: [hackerspaces] A Survey for Hackerspace members about their involvement

Elgin Blankwater
Hi Jarkko,

I'm a sociology student at the University of Amsterdam and I'm currently writing my masters's thesis on hackers, hacker culture and hackerspaces. I think my approach is a little different from yours, judging on your blog posts. I don't use a lot of numerical data, but I rather use qualitative data gathered trough being in hackerspaces.That does not mean that I oppose using statistical data, on the contrary, as I was also thinking about setting up a survey and mailing it to the world. But you got ahead of me :)

Therefore I'm am thoroughly interested in the results of your survey and I was hoping you are sharing the raw data. Would that be an option? You mention the results will be published on your blog, but do you mean an interpretation of the data or a database file?

I'm looking forward to the results.
Best,

Elgin.

On 26 June 2010 10:48, Jarkko Moilanen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Discussion continued off the list between Elgin ja Jarkko.

> Hi Jarkko,
>
> I'm a sociology student at the University of Amsterdam and I'm currently
> writing my masters's thesis on hackers, hacker culture and hackerspaces. I
> think my approach is a little different from yours, judging on your blog
> posts. I don't use a lot of numerical data, but I rather use qualitative
> data gathered trough being in hackerspaces.That does not mean that I oppose
> using statistical data, on the contrary, as I was also thinking about
> setting up a survey and mailing it to the world. But you got ahead of me :)
>
> Therefore I'm am thoroughly interested in the results of your survey and I
> was hoping you are sharing the raw data. Would that be an option? You
> mention the results will be published on your blog, but do you mean an
> interpretation of the data or a database file?
>
> I'm looking forward to the results.
> Best,
>
> Elgin.
>

> On 26 June 2010 10:48, Jarkko Moilanen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Writings, articles, discussions, conference presentations, guidelines about
>> hackerspaces has been done by several authors and hackerspace members. Also
>> the amount of Hackerspaces around the world is rising (probably). In brief,
>> hackerspace as movement is alive and kicking. What seems to be missing is
>> more detailed information about different hackerspaces and their members.
>>
>> I have created (with help of two others) a small survey for Hackerspace
>> members about their involvement. This survey aims to fill the information
>> gap. This survey does not have academic origins. Instead it was born out of
>> pure personal curiosity. The results of this survey will provide more
>> detailed information about hackerspaces, which might be interesting for us
>> (hackers) and to the rest of the world. It might give some hints about the
>> status and orientation of hackerspaces.
>>
>> The results will be published in author's blog:
>> http://extreme.ajatukseni.net/
>>
>> So, if you are a member of some hackerspace/Makerspace, take the survey! It
>> probably takes less than 5 minutes to fill it.
>>
>> The survey can be found here:
>> http://tinyurl.com/3y2ldaq
>>
>> or if the tinyurl is not working, here:
>>
>> http://spreadsheets1.google.com/viewform?formkey=dFI1bHM0WHo1SGpWNXZUVE5SRWY5Mnc6MQ
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Jarkko
>>
>> ****************************
>>  Jarkko Moilanen (phone: +358 46 640 8339)
>>  M.Soc.Sc. (Political Science)
>>  PhD Student, Information studies, University of Tampere
>>  Blog: Extreme activities in cyberspace - http://extreme.ajatukseni.net/

****************************
  Jarkko Moilanen (phone: +358 46 640 8339)
  M.Soc.Sc. (Political Science)
  PhD Student, Information studies, University of Tampere
  Blog: Extreme activities in cyberspace - http://extreme.ajatukseni.net/

attachment0 (1K) Download Attachment

[hackerspaces] Reminder: A Survey for Hackerspace members about their involvement

Jarkko Moilanen

A friendly reminder of 'the Survey for Hackerspace members about their
involvement.' Participation to the survey has been satisfactory, about
130 answers. If you haven't taken the survey, you have 5 more days to
participate. On July 15th it will be taken offline for analysis.

The survey can be found here:
http://tinyurl.com/3y2ldaq

or if the tinyurl is not working, here:
http://spreadsheets1.google.com/viewform?formkey=dFI1bHM0WHo1SGpWNXZUVE5SRWY5Mnc6MQ

More details about the survey can be found below.

Cheers,
Jarkko (aka kyb3R)

> Hi,
>
> Writings, articles, discussions, conference presentations,
> guidelines  about hackerspaces has been done by several authors and
> hackerspace  members. Also the amount of Hackerspaces around the
> world is rising  (probably). In brief, hackerspace as movement is
> alive and kicking.  What seems to be missing is more detailed
> information about different  hackerspaces and their members.
>
> I have created (with help of two others) a small survey for
> Hackerspace members about their involvement. This survey aims to
> fill  the information gap. This survey does not have academic
> origins.  Instead it was born out of pure personal curiosity. The
> results of  this survey will provide more detailed information about
> hackerspaces,  which might be interesting for us (hackers) and to
> the rest of the  world. It might give some hints about the status
> and orientation of  hackerspaces.
>
> The results will be published in author's blog:
> http://extreme.ajatukseni.net/
>
> So, if you are a member of some hackerspace/Makerspace, take the
> survey! It probably takes less than 5 minutes to fill it.
>
> The survey can be found here:
> http://tinyurl.com/3y2ldaq
>
> or if the tinyurl is not working, here:
> http://spreadsheets1.google.com/viewform?formkey=dFI1bHM0WHo1SGpWNXZUVE5SRWY5Mnc6MQ

****************************
  Jarkko Moilanen (phone: +358 46 640 8339)
  M.Soc.Sc. (Political Science)
  PhD Student, Information studies, University of Tampere
  Blog: Extreme activities in cyberspace - http://extreme.ajatukseni.net/

attachment0 (1K) Download Attachment

[hackerspaces] Results: A Survey for Hackerspace members about their involvement

Jarkko Moilanen

The results of the survey can be found here:
http://extreme.ajatukseni.net/2010/07/19/hackerspaces-members-and-involvement-survey-study/

If you don't like the message, don't kill the messenger. If you can't
understand it (because of poor English), sorry....

I will continue the analysis (correlations etc.) later this summer.
The follow-ups will be posted to the same blog.

cheers,
kyb3R