[hackerspaces] A Month long events in your Hackerspaces?

[hackerspaces] A Month long events in your Hackerspaces?

Altin Ukshini
Hey everyone,

How do your hackerspaces handle requests (from members, or non-members) to host a month long (or more) activity in your hackerspace?

What are your experiences with such requests and/or events?

Thanks,
Altin

--
Altin Ukshini
President of the Executive Board

+386 (0) 49 199 992 | [hidden email] | about.me/altinukshini

Latest project:

http://wikilovesmonuments.al/

Re: [hackerspaces] A Month long events in your Hackerspaces?

Nathaniel Bezanson
That's vague enough that it's hard to be sure my answer even applies. But I'll try:

We have a perpetual activity in our space, which is "making interesting stuff". That's done by members and non-members alike. Only members have keys, so non-members do it when they're signed in as a member's guest.

We sometimes have sizable groups in our space, for a span of 2 or 3 months, pursuing an activity like "building a competition robot". Sometimes they get floor-space dedicated for that activity, decided by the membership. Sometimes they get almost-dedicated time, like "know that the space will be crawling with robot folks on monday nights", also accepted by the membership.

We frequently have individual members or small groups, for spans of a few days to a few weeks, reserving a small chunk of floor-space to work on individual projects, and this happens so often and is so important that there's a designated process for it with forms to make sure it goes smoothly. Form: https://www.i3detroit.org/wiki/File:Permit-table-final.pdf

In all cases, there must be a member involved with the activity, to act as point-person in case there's a problem, etc. Members can reserve space, non-members can't. If a non-member wants to do that stuff, they should join, or befriend an existing member until they feel comfortable acting on their behalf.

If none of those things sound similar to the sort of activity you're asking about, please give more details!

-Nate B-

Altin Ukshini wrote:
Hey everyone,

How do your hackerspaces handle requests (from members, or non-members) to host a month long (or more) activity in your hackerspace?

What are your experiences with such requests and/or events?

Thanks,
Altin

--
Altin Ukshini
President of the Executive Board
FLOSSK (Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova)

+386 (0) 49 199 992 | [hidden email] | about.me/altinukshini

Latest project:

http://wikilovesmonuments.al/

Re: [hackerspaces] A Month long events in your Hackerspaces?

Altin Ukshini
Hey Nathaniel,

Thank you for your reply! - That's quite what I was looking for as an answer.

If we get into details:
I was interested to know, when you let people occupy some floor-space, how do you decide for how long you can let them use it, what are your limits (ofc depends on the space) and why?
Have you ever let members or non-members (some specific community project) occupy some floor-space for a whole month and did that cause any problems, what are your experiences?
(Let's assume) How about a two weeks long occupation of the whole floor-space with maybe a a big tech-art project, or a sound engineering workshop or something that would be noisy....?

I see these kind of activities would be problematic for maybe half of the people (members) frequenting the space in daily basis, but on the other hand they're very beneficial for the community to happen, as maybe there are no cultural centers in your city despite your hackerspace that could potentially play that role as well.

I hope I was clear this time! :)

Thanks a lot in advance for your input.

Cheers,
Altin

--

Altin Ukshini wrote:
Hey everyone,

How do your hackerspaces handle requests (from members, or non-members) to host a month long (or more) activity in your hackerspace?

What are your experiences with such requests and/or events?

Thanks,
Altin

--
Altin Ukshini
President of the Executive Board
FLOSSK (Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova)

Latest project:

http://wikilovesmonuments.al/

Re: [hackerspaces] A Month long events in your Hackerspaces?

dosman
We’ve had similar activities without any problems, your milage may vary. We had a member build his tiny house at our space and used the entire workshop to do his carpentry and treat his wood with mineral oil. This only worked because he was excellent at communicating and cleaning up after himself. On our weekly public/open night the workshop was always picked up and usable (albeit crowded some days). His project lasted several months, with 1-2 months of heavy work inside the space.

Other members have done other large multi-week and multi-month projects at our space, again good communication and setting expectations on both sides is key for positive outcomes. I wouldn’t support something like this if there were any indicators that the person would move in and then go awol. Establishing what would happen to their stuff should a person leave a ton of junk and then go awol helps instill fear for their things and to communicate and be a good citizen.

The other key to all of this is that our space was still partly usable to all members even during the heavy usage. If your paying members can’t use the space for extended periods of time then it’s up to them to decide if they mind being put out.

-dosman